U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:20 PM

4,966 posts, read 3,444,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I saw another interesting thing on one of the many TV programs about the moon landing that have been on cable channels this week.

This project had no backup plan. Most NASA systems and 2nd and 3rd redundant systems. If the lunar lander was unable to get the astronauts back to the orbiter, they had no plan to rescue the astronauts from the surface of the moon. They had written press releases in the event of failure on the mission.

For some reason, that possibility never occurred to me before.
Success belongs to the risk takers. The astronauts were all military pilots who tested unproven aircraft and at least one who flew combat missions in Korea over hostile territory. You push ahead despite the odds. Itís called courage.
Ď
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 02:22 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 25 days ago)

1,533 posts, read 497,680 times
It was sad when Apollo 1 burned, Apollo 13 had to turn back , Challenger exploded

Liberty Bell hatch blew off when Grissom landed in the Pacific

Thankfully other missions went well

Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,330,360 times
We have to also keep in mind the Apollo program was the apogee of infrastructure spending. This across the nation in every manner. California population doubling-ish 1940-70 with infrastructure expanding likewise (highways, reservoirs etc.). Population doubling since 1970 without any infrastructure investments of note... resulting in traffic nightmare etc. After 1972 the Apollo program ends so does infrastructure spending.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 AM

5,109 posts, read 1,848,322 times
Quote:
I saw another interesting thing on one of the many TV programs about the moon landing that have been on cable channels this week.

This project had no backup plan. Most NASA systems and 2nd and 3rd redundant systems. If the lunar lander was unable to get the astronauts back to the orbiter, they had no plan to rescue the astronauts from the surface of the moon. They had written press releases in the event of failure on the mission.

They were all pretty much test flights. In other words, no protocol for rescue because it was assumed going in that there was always the potential for a fatal outcome. The astronauts were test pilots and knew that this was always a possibility.

Amazing that we didn't lose more during the program than the three in Apollo 1. We lost more in the two Space Shuttle accidents than in the moon shot program.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:45 AM

12,949 posts, read 14,226,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
As far as I know there were no "suicide pills" either, should they get stranded.
It would have been "heroic" if they had suffered and died, not so it they had just been able to put themselves to sleep and avoid the suffering.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:28 AM

1,226 posts, read 299,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It would have been "heroic" if they had suffered and died, not so it they had just been able to put themselves to sleep and avoid the suffering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEpHyC72gss

Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 AM

36,100 posts, read 10,720,684 times
This isn't new. Armstrong explained that long ago.

LOL And who could blame him for flubbing his planned words? He was in the midst of being the first human to step on the moon, for crying out loud.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 AM

8,690 posts, read 6,216,112 times
Quote:

I take it you're too young to have lived it live. Though no one wanted to dwell on it, that moon "stranding" possibility was mentioned time and time again during the ongoing coverage.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM

12,454 posts, read 18,547,303 times
We all watched it live at the time. I was just a kid, I remember wondering where their ray guns were (or similiar high tech weapons). Surely they must have some way to defend themselves just in case? Thank Star Trek and various sci-fi movies for that thought process.

In terms of dangers, all these guys were aware of the risks, accepted them, and would have it no other way in terms of being a part of the program. These guys were cut from a different cloth - most were former combat pilots and test pilots and volunteered for everything and anything that would involve danger, fame, and/or excitement. It's just the way they were.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM

4,966 posts, read 3,444,264 times
I was a Marine Embassy Guard in Singapore. I was on a night shift and was the only person in the embassy at the time. Usually nothing went on. Suddenly our switchboard lit up with dozens of locals calling in and congratulating the US on the Moon landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or