U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:50 PM

9,526 posts, read 7,218,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
As far as I know there were no "suicide pills" either, should they get stranded.

Fred Haise addressed this when talking about the accident on Apollo 13.. Said there was no reason to have them, all they'd have to do is open the hatch. Would have been far quicker than any pill.

All in all.. There were thousands of things that had to go right to keep them alive.. Only took one going wrong for them to be dead.. So.. He's absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 PM

39,743 posts, read 48,114,656 times
Armstrong once said in an interview on PBS that they were nervous at launch time and they all knew that there was a possibility that anything could happen, and there was a chance they may not successfully make it but they accepted the responsibility and were prepared just in case.

I heard that the "a" was scrambled from some type of electrical interference in the signal. Have no idea if that was true or not and I don't think it matters that much. It still was an historical moment no matter what was said.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 AM

8,973 posts, read 7,811,799 times
I still think manned space missions are a huge waste of money, money, I will remind everyone, we dont have. Ie national debt. If they want to find new life forms, study the jungles or ocean bottom. Heck, I saw a documentary that claimed there were parts of Yellowstone NP that have never been explored.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 AM

8,690 posts, read 6,216,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I still think manned space missions are a huge waste of money, money, I will remind everyone, we dont have. Ie national debt. If they want to find new life forms, study the jungles or ocean bottom. Heck, I saw a documentary that claimed there were parts of Yellowstone NP that have never been explored.
We have plenty of money. What we don't have is agreement on priorities.

Old Today, 12:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 8,711,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It was a pretty stressful moment; a lonely human stepping out into a lethal wasteland with only a few layers of fabric to keep him safe. I think a lot of people might have mucked that up a little bit. He was a very cool customer, but still just a human.
For me the most stressful moment would have come when the 2 men were sitting on the moon in The Eagle ready to rejoin Columbia and go home. They have explored all they are supposed to and walked around and left the flag and all that stuff.
Then they press the button that makes The Eagle blast off and the rocket goes "Pffffff-t-t-t".
I mean, what would you say to each other? Because you are going to die. Not today, but it is going to happen. You are going to remain on the moon for many, many years.
Me? ... I am NOT opening that hatch! Not ever. I'd think of something else - maybe something that would not cause me to pretty much explode.

Old Today, 12:38 PM

41,634 posts, read 18,726,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
For me the most stressful moment would have come when the 2 men were sitting on the moon in The Eagle ready to rejoin Columbia and go home. They have explored all they are supposed to and walked around and left the flag and all that stuff.
Then they press the button that makes The Eagle blast off and the rocket goes "Pffffff-t-t-t".
I mean, what would you say to each other? Because you are going to die. Not today, but it is going to happen. You are going to remain on the moon for many, many years.
Me? ... I am NOT opening that hatch! Not ever. I'd think of something else - maybe something that would not cause me to pretty much explode.
Or.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or