U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Historians on GWB: George Bush quotes, terrorism, administration, white house, presidency,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,060,183 times

Advertisements

109 published historians respond to a poll on feedback about President Bush. Predictably they weren't too positive in remarks about Bush and overwhelmingly consider his administration as the very worse ever in our nation.

Here's the article:
The Bush Presidency: The Historians (Start to) Weigh In - The Board - Editorials - Opinion - New York Times Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,056,625 times
I'm not a Bush defender, but it ain't history yet.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,279,155 times
Hopefully the historians will document the lunacy of BDS.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,892,472 times
I am not a Bush fan but I question the verasity of historians. I mean who are they? What have they done of merit except ponder other peoples accomplishments. Worse still how many of those historians are university professors who have done nothing in their lives other than campus life?
Sort of like so many business professors who have never ran a business but yet they teach business. Sorry I would rather learn from folks who do it, not the guys who talk about folks who do it.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM

11,582 posts, read 17,514,675 times
New York TImes, riiiighhht. Bush is not part of history and cannot yet be fairly judged by history, this has been discussed in the "worst presidents" post below. Historians judging Bush is like Historians judging automobiles, they have the same qualifications.

This has nothing to do with history. This is a "Bush Hate" peace and does not belong in this forum. Why don't we move this to the political forum with the rest of them?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,752,914 times
If it gets too political I will do just that

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,872,370 times
The Times is reporting on a survey sent out by the History News Network. The History News Network also published "The Follies of Instant History: Another Meaningless Poll of Historians (http://hnn.us/articles/48941.html - broken link)." That's fair and balanced I would say.

I agree with the poster above who said it's still too early to really take stock.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 AM

11,582 posts, read 17,514,675 times
From your link above:

"The current poll’s respondents (like those of the earlier poll) are acting as soothsayers because the history profession has not yet had the opportunity to engage the practices of valid historical scholarship. Valid historical scholarship requires us to do lots of things which require time, and especially, the passage of time. To make an historical assessment we need to engage the standard practices of scholarly research. It is these methodological disciplines which render historical judgments valid; it is not the “votes” of contemporary historical opinion. Even if every professional historian in the world placed Bush on exactly the same rung of the historical ladder, it would still be an empty exercise, because the processes of historical scholarship have not yet had an opportunity to be engaged here."

Accurately sums it up. Funny that New York Times forgot that comment from that article. The poll is meaningless except as a political fluff piece. What a waste of bandwidth...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,872,370 times
Yes, that was fair of the History News Network to post the second piece. The comments at the bottom of the first article are fierce!

Last edited by delusianne; 04-16-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 AM

11,457 posts, read 12,356,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
109 published historians respond to a poll on feedback about President Bush. Predictably they weren't too positive in remarks about Bush and overwhelmingly consider his administration as the very worse ever in our nation.

Here's the article:
The Bush Presidency: The Historians (Start to) Weigh In - The Board - Editorials - Opinion - New York Times Blog
The last seven and a half years are all the history I need to know. 9 Trillion dollars of debt after running surpluses and paying down debt prior. Social security and medicare flushed down the toilet in a failed Iraq. Charged up debt on the House of Saud and China credit cards for our children and grandkids to pay off. Record foreclosures, gas approaching 4/gal, stock market going down the toilet, inflation, floundering 401ks, manufacturing sent out of the country, 28 million on food stamps, and 4000 dead soldiers. You can attack the "liberal" source, but I'd bet my last buck that history won't look kindly on W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or