U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What Do You Believe Are the World's Most Negative Events?
The Russian Revolution of 1917 and in Particular the October Revolution 5 27.78%
The French Revolution 1 5.56%
Hitler's Accession to Power in 1933 10 55.56%
The American Revolution 1 5.56%
England's Glorious Revolution of 1689 0 0%
September 11, 2001 1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 PM
 
Location: New York Area
16,104 posts, read 6,356,891 times
Reputation: 12477

Advertisements

I just finished reading Stalin: The Career Of A Fanatic by Essad Bey. A real page turner written while Stalin turned out to be in the early stages of his depredations. The book was written while Stalin's reign as Soviet dictator was still young. Russia and the rest of the world blew many chances to dispatch this man. Basically, his stock in trade was first brutality and then Communism. He frankly had little idea, even after seven years as unquestioned rule, what Communism was about. To be fair, the book states that he was avidly reading to learn about the subject. This was a doctrine that caused a lot of needless human misery.

I came to read this book via a very interesting route. Previously, I read and enjoyed The Orientalist: Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life, by Tom Reiss quite a bit. The Orientalist: Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life was about Lev Nussenbaum, a Jewish author from Baku, Azerbeijan. The Orientalist had a large section on the needless destruction of Azerbaijan by the rampaging, post-Revolution Soviets. The severely damaged what had been an easy-going veritable melting pot of Orthodox, Muslim and Jewish life, where East met West harmoniously.

I conclude that the Russian Revolution, along with Hitler's accession to his role as Chancellor and Fuehrer were among the world's great tragedies. Europe,far from being a birther of culture, was a charnel house. I'm glad that we, as Americans, are here and they are there. Particularly since I am a Jew of largely Middle and Eastern European extraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,676 posts, read 10,727,663 times
Reputation: 5894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
... the needless destruction of Azerbaijan ... severely damaged what had been an easy-going veritable melting pot of Orthodox, Muslim and Jewish life, where East met West harmoniously.
Arguably the greatest tragedy in history is the failure of Alexander's military-political heirs to get along, instead of decades and centuries of petty infighting, which also entailed the Seleukid's neglect, then occasional malignant intervention, in the general area that you mention.

But none of these questions are relevant to history which should focus sharply and exclusively on what very little hard evidence we have to piece together a bare outline of what may have actually happened.

In the event, however, humans tend to indulge in petty infighting, flinging themselves full force but ill-fitted with the flimsiest of evidence and calling it "fact" for nefarious purposes and masquerading them as "truth".

правда!

Last edited by bale002; Yesterday at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
 
12,421 posts, read 18,507,799 times
Reputation: 19456
I have trouble answering this thread as we are addressing both causes and effects. The Russian Revolution caused 60 years of suffering for the world; Radical Islamism caused 911; German nationalism and the defeat in ww1 arguably caused Hitler to rise to power. See what I mean? And why list the American Revolution?

Let me think this one over, my initial response is the most negative destructive even in world history is the popularity of "Keeping up with the Kardashians". Watching that show once, I lost my faith in the future of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
 
8 posts, read 464 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have trouble answering this thread as we are addressing both causes and effects. The Russian Revolution caused 60 years of suffering for the world; Radical Islamism caused 911; German nationalism and the defeat in ww1 arguably caused Hitler to rise to power. See what I mean? And why list the American Revolution?

Let me think this one over, my initial response is the most negative destructive even in world history is the popularity of "Keeping up with the Kardashians". Watching that show once, I lost my faith in the future of humanity.
Kudos for the Kartrashians reference; I most definitely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,104 posts, read 6,356,891 times
Reputation: 12477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Arguably the greatest tragedy in history is the failure of Alexander's military-political heirs to get along, instead of decades and centuries of petty infighting, which also entailed the Seleukid's neglect, then occasional malignant intervention, in the general area that you mention.

But none of these questions are relevant to history which should focus sharply and exclusively on what very little hard evidence we have to piece together a bare outline of what may have actually happened.

In the event, however, humans tend to indulge in petty infighting, flinging themselves full force but ill-fitted with the flimsiest of evidence and calling it "fact" for nefarious purposes and masquerading them as "truth".

правда!
I see your point. However modern actors can't blame their malfeasance on ancient figures. I meant to vote both Germany and Russia in my poll. With the French Revolution being a drop-down choice. All three caused needless human suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
 
5,561 posts, read 2,358,693 times
Reputation: 16630
You left out the worst one of all: World War I.

That war was a total cataclysm that destroyed the culture of Europe, setting into motion the Russian Revolution, the rise of Nazism, the rise of Fascism, the economic dislocation that would ultimately result in the Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War, and the endless conflicts centered around the establishment of Israel.

About the only positive from World War I was the weakening of the grip European colonial powers had around the world. However, I'd offer that it would happened anyway, and certainly in a far less chaotic fashion. A lot of the misery in the developing world over the past 60 years can be laid squarely at the wholesale failure of Europeans to prepare their former colonies for independence.


The inclusion of the American Revolution is a rather odd choice, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
 
5,561 posts, read 2,358,693 times
Reputation: 16630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Arguably the greatest tragedy in history is the failure of Alexander's military-political heirs to get along, instead of decades and centuries of petty infighting, which also entailed the Seleukid's neglect, then occasional malignant intervention, in the general area that you mention.

But none of these questions are relevant to history which should focus sharply and exclusively on what very little hard evidence we have to piece together a bare outline of what may have actually happened.

In the event, however, humans tend to indulge in petty infighting, flinging themselves full force but ill-fitted with the flimsiest of evidence and calling it "fact" for nefarious purposes and masquerading them as "truth".

правда!

I would offer the Peloponnesian Wars, in particular the boneheaded Syracusan Expedition. It tilted the advantage to the Spartans, which led to Athens eclipse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,792 posts, read 9,901,322 times
Reputation: 9929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And why list the American Revolution?
America's revolution resulted in the world's only republican form of government, where the people are sovereigns without subjects. If our RFOG was allowed to wildly prosper, it would trigger world wide conflict between subjects and their governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
 
6,387 posts, read 3,629,189 times
Reputation: 22366
I'm surprised anyone voted for Hitler's rise at all. His was a passing moment in time compared to some of the historical leaders whose rise birthed dynasties of human domination.

To put historical political inclinations in perspective:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,749 posts, read 3,745,344 times
Reputation: 12684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm surprised anyone voted for Hitler's rise at all. His was a passing moment in time compared to some of the historical leaders whose rise birthed dynasties of human domination.
The poll states "Hitler's Accession to Power in 1933" -- his true diabolical potential was nipped in the bud by the Allies, including the Soviet Union (heirs to the Russian Revolutions). Had he not been stopped the world would be an awful place to live for the survivors. I suppose that one could argue that the rise of Japanese militarism was equally bad but that missed the list (along with many that could also be listed).

The Czarist regime in Russia was not going to survive much longer and it was going to be an ugly death even without Lenin and Stalin. I can't imagine the Czar trying to face Hitler. Just for the sake of reading, I suggest Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore. The Georgian archives were opened after the demise of the Soviet Union and revealed some interesting information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top