Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 02:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is a miniseries on the History Channel. Heinz Ketchup, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Post Grape Nuts, Coca-Cola, Hershey’s Chocolate, and Bird’s Eye are some of the foods they show the history of their founding. Scandal, corporate espionage, using federal regulations to fight competition, backstabbing deals, extreme risk taking, court room battles (company vs federal government and brother vs brother) and all of that was the first 1 1/2 episodes.
Every bowl of Grape-Nuts I eat, I can't help but ruminate on the rapes and murders that underpin its success in the great cereal wears of the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 05:03 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Twinkies made America great.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Every bowl of Grape-Nuts I eat, I can't help but ruminate on the rapes and murders that underpin its success in the great cereal wars of the early 20th century.
I don't know, there was a certain romance to the war. It produced great heroes such as General Mills and Cap'n Crunch, both those guys seemed to posses lucky charms.

Of course saying "Cheerio" and marching off to the snap, crackle and pop of the guns wasn't the whole story. People don't want to remember the shame associated with the rounding up and detention of the pacifist Quakers, many of whom were subjected to the secret "Special K" treatment. Oh well, that's life and it was total war.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:30 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Twinkies made America great.
It's always interesting to read how all these things were invented.

In the 1930s, a baker for the Continental Baking Company in Illinois named James Dewar, invented the Twinkie, originally filled with banana cream. He came up with the name "Twinkie" while driving through St. Louis and seeing a billboard advertising "Twinkle Toe Shoes."

Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
And not a word about Wonder Bread the first massed produced sliced bread sold in the US about 1930. Or Swanson's frozen dinners introduced in the 50's.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And not a word about Wonder Bread the first massed produced sliced bread sold in the US about 1930. Or Swanson's frozen dinners introduced in the 50's.
Or Chef-Boy-Ardee (Ettore Boiardi) who was the leading producer of canned food for decades, and supplied rations to Allied troops throughout WWII. At the time of his death in 1985 they were grossing 500 million dollars a year.

I've very much enjoyed this series, in fact, I pulled out my Grape Nuts the other night after forgetting about that box for many months. Now I know the real story behind them (C.W. Post stealing the recipe)

Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Frozen vegetables aren’t fattening. Grape Nuts and Kellogg’s Corn Flakes aren’t fattening. Each story had a link to the development of this country following the US Civil War. Some of these foods and companies helped this country through the Great Depression. Some of these companies and foods helped Europe survive following the end of the great wars. The revolutions of these companies is a big part of today’s American industry.
Carbs are fattening, and I am sure they put lots of sugars and other sweeteners in them nuts.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:04 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Carbs are fattening, and I am sure they put lots of sugars and other sweeteners in them nuts.
No, not all carbohydrates are fattening. Even the "bad" ones like cakes, cookies, etc... aren't if consumed in moderation. That applies to all carbs basically, key is moderation.

French, Italians, Germans and other European countries have diets historically rich in carbs, but you don't (or didn't anyway) find huge numbers of obesity.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Post website nutritional information shows 5 grams sugar, 6 grams protein, and 7 grams of fiber for the original Post Grape Nuts. The story in the miniseries said the origin of the name is they added sugar from grapes and the cereal had a nutty flavor and crunch. No nuts nor grapes are in Grape Nuts cereal. It also has 90% iron and folate, 80% B6, 45% niacin, 40% thiamin, 30% zinc, 20% phosphorus, 10% magnesium, & 6% potassium and riboflavin.

It is actually a very nutritious cereal. A half cup is a serving of 200 calories. There are plenty of healthy cold cereals. It’s the sugary based cereals that are the problem. Even some allegedly healthy cereals are heavy with sugar.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:51 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Sugar, refined carbs, mostly refined carbs, sugar/basically poison in the amounts Americans drink it, candy and a blanched out version of a formerly healthy food. If these are truly the foods that built America, then no wonder obesity is America's favorite participant sport!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History