U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,304,508 times

Advertisements

Was held captive in Vietnam in the 1980's trying to get his wartime girlfriend. It was all over the news and a few years later he wrote in detail in 1988 issue of Playboy magazine and the story ends with her in a refugee camp. Then it seemingly ends there and he has had little public presence whatsoever since.

Does anyone familiar with this case know if this tale ever had a happy ending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:00 AM

12,468 posts, read 18,567,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Was held captive in Vietnam in the 1980's trying to get his wartime girlfriend. It was all over the news and a few years later he wrote in detail in 1988 issue of Playboy magazine and the story ends with her in a refugee camp. Then it seemingly ends there and he has had little public presence whatsoever since.

Does anyone familiar with this case know if this tale ever had a happy ending?
This caught my interest and I did a google search - internet is detailed enough where it gave an obituary for his father but no further updates on the story or him. Apparently he never got the girl and simply moved on with his life. 1980's Vietnam was still a hard-core communist/war mongering country at that time and really didn't mellow out until the 90s. I am surprised he got out of there alive. Now of course he is free to visit his former girlfriend but I am sure she likewise moved on with her life.

Old Today, 09:41 AM

4,993 posts, read 3,454,424 times
At least he tried. I spent two years in SE Asia including Vietnam and Saigon during the war. Especially in Saigon with a heavy concentration of rear echelon troops there were a lot of "romances" between local women and Americans.

Several of the people I served with fathered children over there and simply abandoned their girlfriends and kids and went home. The women and kids lived in poverty and were the object of intense discrimination by the Vietnamese. A sad story with no happy ending for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or