U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 PM
 
15,227 posts, read 13,860,118 times
Reputation: 7009

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The intellectual mindset was, and is, one of accommodation, not one of telling stark and obvious truths. Sort of like Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes. The voters told us that the earlier appeasement vision was bankrupt in the thumping Reagan gave Carter. Like so much TDS nowadays, the intellectual elites are just not listening.

Because the "truth" is "stark and obvious" only for people who desire to see it this way.

But not for the rest.

Some see capitalism as "truth" that's "stark and obvious," some - don't.
It's all a subjective matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Iowa
2,827 posts, read 3,114,981 times
Reputation: 3495
Election '80, Reagan kept his campaign promise.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y1RJJMycBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 PM
 
20,568 posts, read 11,471,205 times
Reputation: 20779
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Because the "truth" is "stark and obvious" only for people who desire to see it this way.

But not for the rest.

Some see capitalism as "truth" that's "stark and obvious," some - don't.
It's all a subjective matter.
And some are aware of Russian gaslighting.

Dezinformatsiya is still alive and well, y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM
 
15,227 posts, read 13,860,118 times
Reputation: 7009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And some are aware of Russian gaslighting.

Dezinformatsiya is still alive and well, y'all.

"Misinformation" is not "alive and well" in our day and age - sorry.
Everyone should be encouraged to check on facts.



...and I am sorry if you feel abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM
 
197 posts, read 67,471 times
Reputation: 301
Meh, I wish we would have blown every Soviet and their supporters into oblivion. Anyone that supports such an Satan like ideology doesn't deserve to exist in the first place. Imagine if in today how awesome it would be if nearly every single square inch of Russia were complete and ultimate wastelands, and the evil Russian people were to completely become extinct as a people. No evil Vlad Putin, Americans would be able to come in and actually make valuable use of of the resources of their BS country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,464 posts, read 11,163,054 times
Reputation: 7565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
At the time Reagan took office, there had been no outwardly visible change at all in the Soviet Union.

There was not, in fact, much national controversy over Reagan's "Evil Empire" speeches at the time he made them--a few bleats from the intellectual far left were hardly heard.

Remember, the Soviets had invaded Afghanistan not long before Reagan took office, and that provided all the context he needed. The nation generally went along with Reagan as far as handling the Soviet Union was concerned. His "Star Wars" initiative was wildly popular. Even Democrats were busy trying to prove they could be tough, too.
In my memory, the SDI was NOT wildly popular. There was plenty of discussion about the huge cost, as well as the myriad of questions about whether it could even work. There were (and are) other questions about such as concept.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,504 posts, read 6,512,900 times
Reputation: 12705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
At the time Reagan took office, there had been no outwardly visible change at all in the Soviet Union.

There was not, in fact, much national controversy over Reagan's "Evil Empire" speeches at the time he made them--a few bleats from the intellectual far left were hardly heard.

Remember, the Soviets had invaded Afghanistan not long before Reagan took office, and that provided all the context he needed. The nation generally went along with Reagan as far as handling the Soviet Union was concerned. His "Star Wars" initiative was wildly popular. Even Democrats were busy trying to prove they could be tough, too.
I don't remember it that way and a quick, two-minute search show that wasn't the way it was. An excerpt of a representative Tom Wicker Op-Ed in the New York Times (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times, Tom Wicker Op-Ed
President Reagan has now proclaimed and presumably bases his policy upon two dangerous doctrines:
* The Soviet Union is ''the focus of evil in the modern world'' and ''an evil empire,'' while Americans are ''enjoined by Scripture and the Lord Jesus Christ to oppose ... with all our might'' the ''sin and evil in the world.''
Or James Reston, also a New York Times Op-Ed writer (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times, James Reston
Still, he has a problem. He's a master of public relations but not of policy. Like any other good actor, he concentrates on whatever audience he's addressing.
If he goes to Orlando to talk to the evangelical preachers, he denounces the Russians as an ''evil empire.'' If he talks to the NATO allies, or to Anatoly Dobrynin, the Soviet Ambassador, he talks of compromise and peace.
Or Anthony Lewis (link), the more left-wing Times Op-Ed writer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times, Anthony Lewis Op-Ed
When a politician claims that God favors his programs, alarm bells should ring. That is what Ronald Reagan has just done. Speaking to the National Association of Evangelicals in Orlando, Fla., he said that belief in God should make Americans join him in opposing a nuclear freeze and pressing a vast buildup in U.S. weapons.
''There is sin and evil in the world,'' the President said, ''and we are enjoined by Scripture and the Lord Jesus to oppose it with all our might.'' Soviet Communism is ''the focus of evil in the modern world,'' he said, and those who favor a mutual freeze on new nuclear weapons ignore ''the aggressive instincts of an evil empire.''
If there is anything that should be illegitimate in the American system, it is such use of sectarian religiosity to sell a political program....Primitive: that is the only word for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In my memory, the SDI was NOT wildly popular. There was plenty of discussion about the huge cost, as well as the myriad of questions about whether it could even work. There were (and are) other questions about such as concept.
You happen to be right on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
 
20,568 posts, read 11,471,205 times
Reputation: 20779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In my memory, the SDI was NOT wildly popular. There was plenty of discussion about the huge cost, as well as the myriad of questions about whether it could even work. There were (and are) other questions about such as concept.
There was a lot of discussion about the cost, but pretty broad popular agreement that such a thing was desirable. "Plenty of discussion does not equal" immense popular agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
 
20,568 posts, read 11,471,205 times
Reputation: 20779
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't remember it that way and a quick, two-minute search show that wasn't the way it was. An excerpt of a representative Tom Wicker Op-Ed in the New York Times (link):
Or James Reston, also a New York Times Op-Ed writer (link):
Or Anthony Lewis (link), the more left-wing Times Op-Ed writer:
"Speaking to the National Association of Evangelicals."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,464 posts, read 11,163,054 times
Reputation: 7565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There was a lot of discussion about the cost, but pretty broad popular agreement that such a thing was desirable. "Plenty of discussion does not equal" immense popular agreement.
I don't remember it as wide spread agreement that the idea was a good one. I'm old enough to have my own memories of what was in the news then.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top