Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Was just watching an interview with Norman Ohler, the author of a book on Nazi Germany, who said that the country was full of drugs back then. Since Germany had no noteworthy colonies, German chemical companies came up with replacements for 'natural' drugs. The Bayer company, for instance, developed heroin and aspirin at the same time, families were eating Hildebrand chocolates that contained meth Hitler and his gang were on drugs, soldiers were taking drugs, everyone it seems was taking drugs. The author said that might well explain the brutal and cold-blooded behavior of German soldiers as well as weird theories and gross misjudgments on the part of the political leadership.

I had never heard of Nazi Germany's huge drug problem, but it might serve as a lesson to certain people today who support the 'freedom of drugs' so to speak.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I've heard that Goering was a huge coke-head.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:06 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've heard that Goering was a huge coke-head.
No, but at one point he was addicted to morphine, as a result of it's use treating a wound that I think he received during the failed Munich Putsch in 1923.
Hitler's physician, Dr, Morell, was a real quack and the various substances he used on Hitler may well have hastened his physical decline.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:19 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Was just watching an interview with Norman Ohler, the author of a book on Nazi Germany, who said that the country was full of drugs back then. Since Germany had no noteworthy colonies, German chemical companies came up with replacements for 'natural' drugs. The Bayer company, for instance, developed heroin and aspirin at the same time, families were eating Hildebrand chocolates that contained meth Hitler and his gang were on drugs, soldiers were taking drugs, everyone it seems was taking drugs. The author said that might well explain the brutal and cold-blooded behavior of German soldiers as well as weird theories and gross misjudgments on the part of the political leadership.

I had never heard of Nazi Germany's huge drug problem, but it might serve as a lesson to certain people today who support the 'freedom of drugs' so to speak.
Wait... are you saying you oppose the legal status of aspirin?

Or are your arguing that methamphetamine and heroin should not be legal? If so, I'm wondering who you are arguing with, because if there's some great call to legalize those drugs, I've missed it. Hitler was addicted to amphetamines and during his later years was taking quite a concoction of actual medicines and outright quackeries at the behest of his quack-physician. Cocaine was one of these. Again, I'm not seeing any hue and cry to legalize coke. Another was belladona. Does that mean belladonna must be made a controlled substance? Anyway, this was all a bit ironic, as Hitler was a mild teetotaler and virulently anti-smoking, not to mention very fastidious about his diet. But it seems to me that the arguments against legalizing meth and coke are quite sufficient without invoking Nazis. And Hitler and Rosenberg and the other 'thinkers' of Naziism formulated their crackpot Aryan 'theories' long before any addictions developed (and I'm not aware of any substance abuse issues at all with Alfred Rosenberg).

Or is this supposed to be some sort of 'Pot is bad because... Nazis!' commentary? I am also not aware of any notable use of marijuana in the Third Reich.

On the other hand, Hitler's birthday is...

April 20th! (4/20!) 420!

Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
... German chemical companies came up with replacements for 'natural' drugs. The Bayer company, for instance, developed heroin and aspirin at the same time ...

My understanding is that companies like Bayer developed poppy derivatives and other such compounds since around the 1870s.

Personally I would not reasonably try to explain complex phenomena based on one variable, but one can always try and maintain a shred of credibility, happens every day.

I don't think anyone is supporting "freedom of drugs", but legalization, regulation, taxation, making stakeholders responsible.

Not a great policy, but perhaps better than what we've had over the past hundred years and worth a try.

Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2019, 09:42 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
And not to forget that German soldiers were supplied on a large scale with meth to keep them going in combat.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
I was completely blown away when I saw an episode of Hitler's War about the drugs! Absolutely insane! TG the Allies won the war.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:59 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Wait... are you saying you oppose the legal status of aspirin?

Or are your arguing that methamphetamine and heroin should not be legal? If so, I'm wondering who you are arguing with, because if there's some great call to legalize those drugs, I've missed it. Hitler was addicted to amphetamines and during his later years was taking quite a concoction of actual medicines and outright quackeries at the behest of his quack-physician. Cocaine was one of these. Again, I'm not seeing any hue and cry to legalize coke. Another was belladona. Does that mean belladonna must be made a controlled substance? Anyway, this was all a bit ironic, as Hitler was a mild teetotaler and virulently anti-smoking, not to mention very fastidious about his diet. But it seems to me that the arguments against legalizing meth and coke are quite sufficient without invoking Nazis. And Hitler and Rosenberg and the other 'thinkers' of Naziism formulated their crackpot Aryan 'theories' long before any addictions developed (and I'm not aware of any substance abuse issues at all with Alfred Rosenberg).

Or is this supposed to be some sort of 'Pot is bad because... Nazis!' commentary? I am also not aware of any notable use of marijuana in the Third Reich.

On the other hand, Hitler's birthday is...

April 20th! (4/20!) 420!
Hehe, not Aspirin, silly Btw, I have never taken an Aspirin in my whole life, though.

Since Hitler was trying to become an artist, he might have taken drugs long before his political career started.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:58 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And not to forget that German soldiers were supplied on a large scale with meth to keep them going in combat.
American and British troops were given plenty of drugs as well.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:13 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
American and British troops were given plenty of drugs as well.
Yep. Think the American drug of choice was Benzedrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History