U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 05:36 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,014,163 times

Advertisements

Fax machines when the first came out. They were way over 1K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:13 PM

1,756 posts, read 634,739 times
* As someone referenced above, long distance phone calls used to cost a fortune. I recall when my teen brothers made long distance, collect calls from overseas, when first stationed in the military... my mum paid an entire month's pay on several phone bills, because they were long calls & she just let them talk.

* I also had a cellphone in the early 90s that was a smaller model... about the size of a cordless phone receiver... & cost about $70/mo for 10 3-min calls/mo with a $400 sign-on fee, non-refundable. When traveling cross country (my 1st time), just making quick check-in phone calls or calling the police to report women broken down on the highway, my bill was $400 for a 7-day trip. That's $57/day... nice hotel rooms then were $50/nt.

* My first giant, basic, desktop computer was $3K & as slow as molasses. My current, light as air laptop was around $500.

* My 1st HP printer was $400. My Canon was free, when buying 2 new cartridges.

* Fabric is no longer cheaper than buying off the rack. I used to sew my own suits from wool/silk/linen material, using designer patterns, so for $20-25 max, I could have a brand new, nice suit. Now, it's double, triple or often more to make it myself, so I don't. Pretty skirt material is even more... last one I wanted to sew would have cost over $100 for material... fogetaboutit.

Bottom line, however (& it depends on what you buy & which quality you prefer) is that many things are cheaper today, but don't last as long. My mum's wedding gift vacuum cleaner was over $100 in the early 50s, but all 7 kids kicked it, sat on it & rode it around like a toy horse... my very rough & tumble brothers played bank robbers & cowboys with it... it broke 45-yrs later.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM

16,604 posts, read 5,454,573 times
Airline tickets. Flying used to be a luxury reserved for the well-off. Now just about anyone can afford to fly anywhere in the world.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:45 PM

18,801 posts, read 23,562,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bought my 1st microwave oven in 1986 from Sears for about $380. It lasted close to 25 years. I bought my 2nd microwave in 2010 from an HEB grocery store in Austin for $49. It wasn't as big as the 1st microwave but it worked just as good. I still have it.
Strange coincidence - my first microwave was also from Sears and was about that price on sale! I remember the thing was HUGE. The metal sides were woodgrain.

Stereo equipment. VCRs were pretty pricey when they came out.

Flat screen TVs. Our first was in 2005, and cost $3000 (Samsung) The last one we bought was $200.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:19 PM

13,895 posts, read 9,981,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
US Dollar.
You mean "dollar bill." No dollars have circulated since 1933.
A Federal Reserve Note is an IOU denominated in dollars - thus a minus value.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:23 PM

2,989 posts, read 2,797,952 times
Most every electronic technology product at its early acceptance phase. I think most have been mentioned already, from audio visual, telephones/pagers/cell et al, fax machines, printing devices, computers, calculators.

White goods: refrigerators, microwaves, range / ovens, et al. Which begs the question, why would anyone want a more heavily electronic sensor laden white good appliance? Its just another thing to break down and render it useless.

Food stuffs: Many types of fresh produce were exotic delicacies before refrigeration and especially out of season. Many spices also before mass commercialization.

Certain types of materials before commercialization, international trade and the increase use of synthetic material manufactured equivalents.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:55 AM

659 posts, read 202,612 times
Fitness Center Memberships. Today you get free trial memberships before you pay only around $50/mo. Back in the 80s seems there was a $1,000 commitment up front (usually financed). Granted, there was a fitness craze during that period of time. I recall, membership to a gym was my very first financing experience, done only to "build credit."

Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 AM

4,816 posts, read 1,865,735 times
In 1950, Schwinn bikes were the cheapest, one speed, fat tire, $50. You could still get a ten speed for that in 2000 at Walmart.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:57 AM

5,715 posts, read 2,450,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some people may look at old ads and think “Wow! Things were a lot cheaper back then!” But I have evidence that not everything was cheaper. We have a receipt from late 1973 showing Dad paid $689 for a Zenith console color television. What else was more expensive than it is now?

Just about everything. People just don't realize how much cheaper things have become, even if it were available.

I'll give you a perfect example. A few years ago, 4K TVs debuted with a whopping price tag of $2500-$4,000. Back in December, I bought a 52-inch set for $350 at Best Buy.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 AM

1,055 posts, read 250,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'll give you a perfect example. A few years ago, 4K TVs debuted with a whopping price tag of $2500-$4,000. Back in December, I bought a 52-inch set for $350 at Best Buy.
The biggest downward price curves tend to occur in new technology.

When I was buying CD players and desktop computers, the first three or four I bought were all:
*significantly cheaper than the previous one, and
*did a lot more and did it better

Also, automobiles. "Wait!", people say, "Cars are way more expensive today!". But not in real dollars. Example: a new Ford Pinto cost $2,900 in 1976, when the median household income was $12,700. Today the median household income is over $61,000 and you can get numerous new cars today for under $15,000 (comparable as a percentage of income), and those cars offer far more than did the Pinto: vastly better creature comforts (climate, sound, ergonomics, etc.), they're safer, they get much better mileage, and on average they'll go a lot further over their lives than did the average Pinto (meaning they hold their resale value better).

So it's not simply the cost but what you're getting for what you pay today compared to what you got in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or