U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 12:09 PM

12,044 posts, read 20,600,382 times

Advertisements

Sewing machines. When they first came out they were almost a half a years salary for the average worker. But almost every woman ended up with one, as it was an important part of being able to save money in the long run. And also possibly making money if she was good at sewing.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:28 PM

1,550 posts, read 2,314,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some people may look at old ads and think “Wow! Things were a lot cheaper back then!” But I have evidence that not everything was cheaper. We have a receipt from late 1973 showing Dad paid $689 for a Zenith console color television. What else was more expensive than it is now?

Cocaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM

13,092 posts, read 14,339,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yeah, but that wasn't just a TV. That was a TV inside a large wooden console along the lines of a piece of furniture. That would be now like buying a TV and a wooden desk or something. You have to factor in the entire package.
I remember the Fifties and Sixties when TVs were pieces of furniture as you say.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:46 PM

7,110 posts, read 3,943,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some people may look at old ads and think “Wow! Things were a lot cheaper back then!” But I have evidence that not everything was cheaper. We have a receipt from late 1973 showing Dad paid $689 for a Zenith console color television. What else was more expensive than it is now?
Hmmm...I don't know that the Zenith was more expensive, for what it was. A huge console...in color. Black & white tvs were still very much in use. Maybe that Zenith was a hyped up price, or that area was more expensive than others.

I found a source that says color consoles in the 1970s ranged from about $350 to $850. Don't forget that a console was like ALSO buying a cabinet, usually solid wood.

Current tvs are more comparable to tabletop tvs in the 1970s. Those ranged from $260 to $700.

A consumer these days can spend upwards of $5,000 for a state of the art television. In the 1990s, color tabletop tvs ranged from $340 to $1,200.

TV Set Prices

Any new technology is going to cost much more in the beginning than later. I would think the first cell phones, then the first smartphones, cost more than now.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:46 PM

948 posts, read 575,317 times
Very few examples outside of electronics.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 PM

4,816 posts, read 1,865,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Long distance phone calls. People used to wait until 8:00 at night, or 11:00PM for the best rate, to call long distance. Now calls are free* if you have an average cell phone plan.

Cell phone service used to have roaming charges, and fees would kick in after you used a certain number of minutes. Now pretty much everything except burner phones is free with a monthly plan.

Heck, even international calls can be free* if you use Facetime or Skype.

*Free = no charge per call. You pay a flat rate for cell phone or internet service.

I just had a landllne and made alll long distance calls on google-phone. Overseas, all calls to any US number are free on my tablet with wi-fi.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:22 AM

3,902 posts, read 1,017,572 times
When Blu-ray players came out, there was one standalone Sony model for $999, and the PS3 for $599. Many people bought the PS3 to save money, despite having no interest in using it as a game system.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:05 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,305,259 times
I think homes were cheaper then today was far less people we paid 13k for our first home in Southern CA 1974. The 2nd home was 10 miles away we moved to in 1976 my parents paid 34k. Interest was much higher back then so it was more difficult to sell homes with 12-14% interest. I keep track of both of those homes on zillo worth almost a million dollars now who would have known. I left there in the early 90's I thought it was too expensive I never thought it would be like today. Back then you could not really get loans to buy things had to use layaway credit cards were difficult to get had very high interest. Today seems like can get a loan for everything has financing.

Old Today, 06:09 AM

21,466 posts, read 14,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Airline tickets. Flying used to be a luxury reserved for the well-off. Now just about anyone can afford to fly anywhere in the world.
To be fair prior to deregulation air fares were set by federal government. Yes, early on air travel was for the wealthy (who could afford the prices), the businessman (who was traveling on an expense account), and a few others.

On the good side of this since airfares were set by feds, airlines had to compete based on service to attract passengers. Pan Am was "queen of the skies" for its legendary service, but many other airlines weren't far behind.

After deregulation it has been a slow race to the bottom IMHO. Unless you're willing to fork over for first or business class air travel has basically become a flying bus.

Old Today, 06:26 AM

21,466 posts, read 14,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Oh yes, I remember my oldest Sister getting her first microwave from JCPenney when they went "on sale" for 499.00!!

Believe that was either 1979 or 1980. Thing was huge!
As with televisions and other electronics what the USA invented/designed by the 1980's or Japan, then South Korea, and soon rest of Asia soon not only began production but essentially put American manufacturing out of business. This was helped along by American companies willingly either buying Asian goods rebadged with various brand names (Kenmore, J.C. Penny, Montgomery Wards, etc...) or just wholesale movement of factories to Asia.

For microwaves the key was Samsung. In fits and starts the small South Korean company began to challenge Japan and USA for microwave market. They had setbacks, but J.C. Penny came calling looking for a microwave over they could sell for around $299. Samsung was able to meet that price and give a (finally) quality product. J.C. Penny came back with another order, and soon it was off to the races.

Today virtually all microwaves for US market (and large share of worldwide as well) come out of South Korea, though production is also moving to China and other lower cost areas of Asia.

Korean Industry: Microwave Ovens

My first microwave as a Litton made in USA. Next came a Sharp that was also USA made (New Jersey). Today you'd be hard pressed to find a microwave oven made in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or