U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 02:54 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,789,437 times

Advertisements

DNA tests of Icelanders show that many, if not most, came from Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Irish and Scottish people are the places where there is the largest proportion of redheads in the world. Yet British and Irish people tend to be less blonde compared to Dutch and Northern German peoples.
The northern parts of the British Isles are predominantly light haired. Many British people who emigrate to sunnier climates tend to have their hair lighten up.

The UK has seen a massive ethnic shakeup in the past 100 years. Immigration has been huge making a large impact on the ethnic makeup, especially in southern England. Skin and hair colours have darkened up.

Last edited by John-UK; 11-29-2019 at 03:07 AM..

Old 11-29-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It wouldn't trigger me, it's pretty much factual truth. There has been a weird fascination throughout human history with light skin, light hair.
Because it is so rare. There was no fascination with light hair when I was boy. We all had light hair, so no one cared. The fascination comes from dark haired people in countries where all have dark hair and darker skin.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I imagine Europe was fairer complexioned with more light hair and eyes than today, although it always had a good number of the native population with dark hair and eyes. Western countries even America are becoming darker especially since the 20th century rather than the other way around. I read that in America in 1900 about half the population had blue eyes now it's like 10%. I'm not very old but I remember a lot more blonde people certainly a much higher percentge in America than today. So it seems very likely Europe was more blonde in the past.
A lot of Americans on postings live around me. When their teenage kids are all together, there are few light haired amongst them.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
research showing that 1 in 10 men in England have Roman ancestry so if you extrapolate, that would mean 1 in 5 people if women are included. That seems logical since Britain was a Roman colony for over 300 years. The name Britain or Britannia is Roman (Latin) for that Island.
The Romans called Britain Albion. The Romans made virtually no impact on the DNA of British population. Angles from Demark, Saxons from norther Germany and Vikings from Norway made the biggest impact - until recently. The Polish are making a big impact these days in the ethnic makeup.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:06 PM

470 posts, read 193,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
DNA tests of Icelanders show that many, if not most, came from Ireland.
Yes the mitochondrial (maternal) dna is largely Irish. The paternal dna is largely Scandinavian however. It is said they would raid the Irish coasts for women and some other slaves and bring them over to Iceland.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:27 PM

470 posts, read 193,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
My daughter at aged five at school, she is centre front row in all blue. The girl behind her is of Greek/Cyprus origin. There are a few children who are obviously of Indian and African origin clearly being identified by skin and black hair colour with one Japanese. The ethnic English kids are all light haired, from light brown (Americans call this sandy blond) to lighter. When puberty comes along many of these children will have darkened hair. Scandinavians tend to keep their light hair after puberty - about the only difference. Yes, latitude determines hair colour. The UK is on a northern latitude.

All a fantastic bunch of children.
The amount of eumelanin in one's hair starts to ramp up as children age. This eumelanin is known for the production of brown/black hair, while pheomelanin is known for the production of red hair. Blondes typically have a rate of 95% eumelanin and 5% pheomelanin for their hair color. Pheomelanin can also be produced in our lips and genital area, giving a reddish hue or tint.

I wonder what specifically the gene influence is regarding the lower production of eumelanin into adulthood in regards to scandinavians. I wonder how much of this would have been sexual selection and how much of it the environment permitted. The blonde hair of the melanesians are due to the same phenomenon I believe, although it is rare that they keep the blonde hair through puberty.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know about the blonde part but white slavery was common in the Barbary States. One politically incorrect fact universally ignored in education, where schools would have children believe that white Southern planters were the only slavers. Also omitted is the fact that Muslim traders sold the slaves that filled the ships heading for the Americas. Hint, the shipping crews did not run into the rain forests to catch Africans and transport them.
BBC - History - British History in depth: British Slaves on the Barbary Coast

Old Today, 06:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 768,613 times
Britain was alive and well before the Romans arrived . Boudicca mentioned Britons to fight back, so the Brythonic inhabitants of the island were well aware of their culture. Prytania wasn’t possibly the the earliest description, a Greek word meaning painted people , due to tattoos ( very popular in England now)
I know very few people with fair hair, fair hair meant you were from the ruling Saxon, Norman elite, most English then were basically Brythonic descent.
Just look at past England football teams and the white, indigenous players will be majority dark brown haired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or