U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 389,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Is this for REAL?
Has the f-word-ing world gone f-word-ing crazy when you can't say anything even remotely close to the N-WORD (N|gger) like Neger?

Wake up A-words!
The M-words and R-words are taking over!
I used the word Neger in my post. Two other previous posters have used the word Neger. You've used the word Neger.

And?
No problem.
No one has complained.
No moderator has removed our posts.

The irony here is that you're so eager to be offended over other people being offended that you didn't even bother to wait and see if anyone else was actually offended. And as far as I can see, no one is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Status: "Trump Resistance - The (establishment) Empire Strikes Back" (set 21 days ago)

17,484 posts, read 6,835,003 times
I'm truly ignorant on this. Context please?

Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 AM

1,430 posts, read 519,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I know that a big problem the German N-Word mini-submarine had was that it failed to release its torpedo and hence carried the entire sub to the target at 30 knots or whatever. However, is this the only reason 80% of the operators of this sub were killed? BTW, was there a James Caan film where he and a group of commandos had to destroy these types of subs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
You're referring to the Neger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Well, yes, but I didn't want to say that word.
Now for my post:

Quote:
Is this for REAL?
Has the f-word-ing world gone f-word-ing crazy when you can't say anything even remotely close to the N-WORD (N|gger) like Neger?

Wake up A-words!
The M-words and R-words are taking over!
And your response to my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I used the word Neger in my post. Two other previous posters have used the word Neger. You've used the word Neger.

And?
No problem.
No one has complained.
No moderator has removed our posts.

The irony here is that you're so eager to be offended over other people being offended that you didn't even bother to wait and see if anyone else was actually offended. And as far as I can see, no one is.

Please re-read the above set of posts and it may clarify my position.

I am not offended that the word 'Neger' was censored; clearly it was not.
I did not think anyone of sound mind could possibly BE offended.
But I AM shocked that someone would think it COULD be and self-censored to the point of silliness!

Aren't you even a little bit appalled that PC pressures have caused us to walk on eggshells and display levels of stupid that would not have been thought possible?

Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM

13,231 posts, read 4,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Neger is not a banned word; nor is Niger.

Niger (Latin for "black") occurs in Latinate scientific nomenclature.

The English N word originated from the Latin for black which is Niger.

The N word was not used as much in Europe and only became offensive in relatively recent times.

If you watch the film 'The Dambusters', Guy Gibsons black dog was named, the N word, however it was killed in a road accident at the air base.

In a memerial at RAF Scampton in the 1980's, a black dog suddenly appeared from nowhere and refused to leave. As soon as the photo was taken, the dog disappeared, never to be seen again

Ghost of the Dambusters dog: Picture 'shows long-dead Labrador' at memorial to WWII heroes - Daily Mail

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-09-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 02:54 PM

63 posts, read 7,117 times
Submarine X-1 with James Caan.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 PM

10,482 posts, read 10,246,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibaCat View Post
Submarine X-1 with James Caan.
Thanks for that, and thanks for getting this thread back on track, since it's about submarines, not how a certain German word translates into English.

So then, I wonder why Germany had quite a few problems with torpedoes, given they made excellent equipment, often superior to that possessed by the Allies.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,099,078 times
If the German torpedoes were made by VW, I can understand them not working

Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 389,098 times
Quote:
Aren't you even a little bit appalled that PC pressures have caused us to walk on eggshells and display levels of stupid that would not have been thought possible?
You continue to make things up.

We are not 'walking on eggshells'. I used the word Neger. Numerous other posters used the word Neger. Don't try and include me in your nonsense.

I am not at all appalled that the n-word is politically incorrect. Not one bit. Not. At. All.

I am not at all appalled that the OP made a mistake and thought Neger was politically incorrect. He didn't launch into some woe-is-me-I-have-to-be-politically-correct! self-pitying diatribe. He just made a simple mistake. No big deal. But let's be clear - that mistake, as minor as it is, is his and his alone. No one else is responsible. Your attempts to blame others for making him make it is ridiculous.

I am not at all appalled by self-censorship. Every last one of us does that. It's just a basic adherence to varying norms. I don't believe I ever used a profanity in front of my grandmother in the 37 years that we were both alive. I speak differently at work than at home. I happen to think religious belief is nonsense, but I wouldn't dream of offering that opinion unsolicited to believers that I know in the vast majority of situations. And so on, and so forth.

What appalls me is the dishonest concept of politically correctness as something new, and something to be opposed on principle when no one actually opposes political correctness - some people merely oppose that political correctness which they don't like (and often, these people try and weasel out of their hypocrisy by offering the monumentally self-centered notion that it's only political correctness if it's something that offends others but not themselves).

What appalls me are people who are so eager to be offended at the offense of others that they invent a supposed offense where none exists, just so they can be offended at it.

Now, since this is the history forum, let's take a look at some history.

George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion debuts. In the performance, Eliza Doolittle uses a word that was quite politically incorrect for that day. Newspapers like the Daily Mail reported on the controversy over the word, but only in oblique terms. They wouldn't print to offending term. It was bloody, as in "Not bloody likely!". Pass the smelling salts!

The United States enters World War I against Germany. German is dropped as a language in American high schools. American cities with names like Berlin and Germantown are permanently renamed. Sauerkraut becomes liberty cabbage. All so as not to offend patriotic Americans.

The Motion Picture Production Code is enforced, ending the freewheeling days of early sound movies. The Code was a laundry list of politically incorrect things that shall not be included by any filmmaker who didn't want to see every distribution company in the United States boycott his film. Just a very small sampling of the very long list of forbidden elements include lustful kissing, interracial relationships, getting away with crime, belittling of religion, suggestive dancing, white slavery (black slavery was totally fine, though).

Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls is published. It contains sentences like:
"No", Augustin said. "From people less unprintably equipped than I."
"That we blow up an obscene Bridge and then have to obscenely well obscenity ourselves off out of these mountains?"
“Oh, muck my grandfather and muck this whole treacherous muck-faced mucking country and every mucking Spaniard in it on either side and to hell forever."
Those highlights aren't my bowlderizations; that's exactly how the book was published. At the time, this was such a snowflake nation that not only were the real terms socially taboo (ie, politically incorrect), they were illegal under obscenity laws that would have left Hemingway, his publishers, and distributors and sellers of his book criminally liable (the relevant laws were happily ruled unconstitutional a couple of decades later in a series of rulings known as the Obscenity Cases).

Lucy Ricardo, like the actress that played her, is pregnant. The pregnancy is incorporated into the show, though delicately. The word expecting is used so as not to offend viewers with the more suggestive pregnancy.

The Cincinnati Reds remove Reds from their uniforms and announce that they are the Redlegs, in an attempt to avoid offending any baseball fans that might be so monumentally stupid as to think that their nickname meant the team were adherents of Marxism.

Late 1960s
Disneyland finally drops its dress code that prohibited men with long hair from entering the parks, lest other patrons be offended by the refusal of said long-hairs to conform to long-outdated social norms.

That's just a very brief sampling of the sorts of politically correctness - speech/behavior meant to mitigate offense in others - from more than half a century ago.

What appalls me is the gross ignorance of people who actually think that political correctness - social norms, conventions for speech and behavior - is something new, other than in name. Standards have certainly changed. Some things become more taboo. Other things go the opposite way. Anyway who considers television, or journalism, or simply public speaking, and concludes that in total less is permissible today than twenty or fifty or a hundred years ago is clueless, probably because they want to wallow in their self-perceived victimhood.

What appalls me is that the people who rail against the supposed scourge of political correctness are the first ones to castigate an athlete who adopts a politically incorrect stance during a pregame song, and then they demand that the athlete be fired for his political incorrectness.

That's what does and doesn't appall me.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:16 PM

7,039 posts, read 6,805,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
you're referring to the neger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitus acta probat View Post
well, yes, but i didn't want to say that word.
lolz

:d:d:d

Old 11-10-2019, 08:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,099,078 times
I believe he said "The sheriff is near"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or