Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 04:16 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times

Advertisements

Soon after the assassination there was a ban on mail-order firearms. Was there any outcry on this? If such a thing happened today, the NRA and other gun owners would be outraged. It might even wind up in the Supreme Court.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:00 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...%20a%20handgun.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I remember the uproar over the mail order rifle that lasted for quite some time after the assassination, but nothing was done until October of 1968 after the MLK and RFK assassinations. I don't recall very much opposition to the ban but there probably was some. The three major assassinations in less than five years moved public opinion to support some sort of action.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:43 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I remember the uproar over the mail order rifle that lasted for quite some time after the assassination, but nothing was done until October of 1968 after the MLK and RFK assassinations. I don't recall very much opposition to the ban but there probably was some. The three major assassinations in less than five years moved public opinion to support some sort of action.
As you said, there was a huge uproar. People were astounded to learn that a person could fill out a coupon in a magazine and mail to to Chicago and get a rifle by return mail, with absolutely nothing being checked. Oswald had done it using a fake name and had the gun send the a post office box.

They held congressional hearings and discussed banning mail order gun sales. It had widespread support, but had to be crafted in a way that passed constitutional muster regarding the federal government's role in regulating interstate commerce. There was opposition to the first bills that were introduced, although I do not remember that. The NRA was firmly behind the bill. [At the hearings NRA Executive Vice-President Franklin Orth supported a ban on mail-order sales, stating, "We do not think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States."]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

I remember that the public was generally in support of the ban, but do not recall what caused the bills to be opposed in Congress. The attitudes of most people prior to recent times to issues such as this were widely accepting of the regulation of firearms to ensure their proper use.

I certainly hope this thread stays focused on the historical issue presented. Otherwise, I won't hesitate to close and/or remove the thread.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:16 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Here's a photo of the rifle, plus the advertisement from which it was purchased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F...sination_rifle

Old 02-05-2023, 09:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Which all tended to line up with legislation to stop the Black Panther's openly carrying at their events and a lot of white people freaking out about it.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:43 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
TCHP...i remember a little about that.

if you have any links to post regarding
that legislation, please do so, because
i would like to understand the situation
more so than my memory.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:03 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Soon after the assassination there was a ban on mail-order firearms. Was there any outcry on this? If such a thing happened today, the NRA and other gun owners would be outraged. It might even wind up in the Supreme Court.
There was not much opposition to the ban THEN from such groups.... and so there probably wouldn't be much today either in a day that is much much much less reactionary conservative.

It's really no surprise that people in the USA want to hang on to their guns is it? I mean... look at the track record of the past 250 years. Not a lot of facts in favor of turning in the guns. I bet the native Americans wish they'd had some more guns. Including the Hawaiians. In my father's lifetime we had the Klan marching down Pennsylvania Avenue and an auditorium full of America Nazis cursing the Jews and praising Hitler in NYC during WW2. Now we have cartels running wild in the streets and people calling for "defunding the police" while they burn down cities and set up autonomous zones. Nothing makes people want to give up their guns like anarchy and a government that won't enforce the law. The only thing that works LESS than that for promoting gun control is a government that OVER-enforces the law and then only for certain people.

I love banners in their contradictions. Prohibition was the dumbest idea in the world, they say. War on Drugs? It only makes things worse, they pontificate.

But gun control is EXACTLY what we need, they ensure us. While letting felons have an early release at the same time.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:54 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
This is no longer a History thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History