U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 PM

9,853 posts, read 8,763,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Being Queen of England is not a bad gig. And any male offspring would be in the line of succession which was a huge perk. Marriages in that era were not often about love.
It was the most deadly profession there was at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 PM

6,274 posts, read 6,630,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It was the most deadly profession there was at the time.
Yeah but a lot of the time the wives didn’t really have much of a say in the matter, as the male family members were pulling the strings.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:43 PM

11,714 posts, read 4,467,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
She actually got a huge settlement from the annulment too. But she was in a similar position to Catherine of Aragon. She came from a powerful family of a foreign ally, so it would have been harder to off her than say Catherine Howard or Anne Boleyn, without serious foreign affairs implications. Of course, it only helped that she was so agreeable to the annulment.
Yes, I'm sure that played a role too. Her powerful family could have protected her if Henry decided to do something horrible. I'm sure not having to share a bed with Henry anymore was also a sigh of relief for Cleves. I believe after Anne of Cleves, he didn't have any more wives from royal families, because the royal families of Europe didn't want their daughters to marry him. If I'm not mistaken, his last two wives were commoners. They probably would not have been allowed to refuse his marriage proposal.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Status: "Delusion starts when truth no longer matters." (set 17 days ago)

2,064 posts, read 746,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Any clues or thoughts as to why? And I get beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but were Anne of Cleves as a young woman around today, do you think most people would still view her as unattractive?
From what I understand, Henry had a preferred type. He liked young petite women with smallish breasts. Anne of Cleves was not considered ugly - then or now. She was a shapely woman with a healthy rack and did not fit into Henry's preferred type.

Henry was a King, and used to getting what he wanted, but by the time Anne of Cleves was being considered, he was older, fatter, had smelly festering sores on his legs - and by now being his wife was not considered to be the healthiest thing a woman could do.

If I remember correctly, she made some kind of deal with him and returned home slightly wealthier than she had been when she left. It was not without cost to her. She had to bear the blame of his inability to consummate their marriage.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-19-2019 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 PM

378 posts, read 165,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, I'm sure that played a role too. Her powerful family could have protected her if Henry decided to do something horrible. I'm sure not having to share a bed with Henry anymore was also a sigh of relief for Cleves. I believe after Anne of Cleves, he didn't have any more wives from royal families, because the royal families of Europe didn't want their daughters to marry him. If I'm not mistaken, his last two wives were commoners. They probably would not have been allowed to refuse his marriage proposal.
His next marriage to Catherine Howard ended up pretty much identical to Anne Boleyn; coninsiditaly Catherine was Annes cousin. Catherine Howard was a lady/maid in waiting for Anne of Cleves and was Henry's "type" (flirty, young, and willing to look past his looks for power). If she had kept out of trouble and produced an heir she probably would have lasted; but unlike Boleyn Catherine really did commit adultery sealing her fate. Her desire for power and immaturity led her death and most likely warded off any other woman who thought they could simply charm the king and be invincible once they got the crown.

By the time Katharine Parr came along no woman was jumping up to marry Henry. Katharine was forced to marry the king out of duty (she wanted to marry Henry's former brother-in-law Thomas Seymour). Henry had his fill of flirty young women and wanted a woman who saw her marriage as a duty not only towards him, but his young heirs. After failing to produce another heir in his last 2 marriages he had given up on that, his health was failing and his current children needed a positive female figure in their life.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 PM

If anyone was a victim of this marriage, it was Thomas Cromwell. He worked very hard to orchestrate the marriage but it all blew up in his face and cost him his head. He heavily misjudged both the king’s taste in women and his volatile, treacherous nature. He should have quit while he was ahead, or at the very least found a bride more palatable to the king’s tastes.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:34 PM

7,197 posts, read 2,613,223 times
I read somewhere that Henry VIII thought Anne of Cleves was the most fun and good natured (Jane Seymour was, too) of his wives. Yes, she was no looker but Henry enjoyed her company.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I read somewhere that Henry VIII thought Anne of Cleves was the most fun and good natured (Jane Seymour was, too) of his wives. Yes, she was no looker but Henry enjoyed her company.
Yeah, it’s quite ironic. After the annulment, they became very good friends and she always held an esteemed position in his court.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 PM

7,197 posts, read 2,613,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, it’s quite ironic. After the annulment, they became very good friends and she always held an esteemed position in his court.
I didn't know they continued to be good friends even after splitting. I always liked the story of Henry and Anne of Cleves.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 PM

12,446 posts, read 5,578,400 times
It's my understanding Anne of Cleves and Henry VIII remained good friends and often visited with each other after the end of their very brief marriage. Henry was so grateful to her for not putting up any kind of resistance to having the marriage annulled that he made certain she had whatever she needed to live a very comfortable life in England where she spent the rest of her life, and died at the age of 41, still relatively young.
BTW, from the portrait done of her during the time she lived in England, I personally don't find her homely at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or