U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM

8,458 posts, read 7,619,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am sorry if my question was not clear enough Ichoro; 3,2 million deaths caused by "shock therapy" - that was specifically in Russia?
It's estimated at 7 million premature deaths in the Soviet Union with the smaller figure I cited pertaining to Russia alone. Lancet has several reports on the Soviet Union's experience with rapid economic decline. Some cities had a much slower adjustment and little change in mortality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 11:34 AM

80,451 posts, read 73,440,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Russian intelligentsia was never particularly wealthy, and it was Russian intelligentsia that paved the way for Revolution. Lenin was a representative of that class, and there were many before him.

I think Millennial Urbanist is a little confused about the "Intelligentsia", but had a point to some extent, regarding the "brain drain" and expropriation of assets. Some of the people whose property was taken during the Revolution were also very intelligent and talented people. Those who couldn't get out in time were sent either to labor camps or were assigned to internal exile. Some had inherited wealth or estates, or large homes in the cities; others had accumulated some wealth "the old-fashioned way", i.e. by earning it in well-paying professions (engineering, perhaps having connections to get lucrative government contracts, and such). If we look at purges of the "kulaks", they could simply represent people who were talented at farming and/or worked hard at it, were good managers of their rural assets. In other words, some of the very people who should have been retained in order to "show how it's done", were the ones purged.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Status: "Trump Resistance - The (establishment) Empire Strikes Back" (set 28 days ago)

17,583 posts, read 6,870,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In other words, some of the very people who should have been retained in order to "show how it's done", were the ones purged.
The purges of Army generals were similarly counterproductive. Purges of the competent are one of the reasons that Russia has been and may always be an underachieving country.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

109 posts, read 16,229 times
Not for nothing has Putin pointedly invited the Jews BACK.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The purges of Army generals were similarly counterproductive. Purges of the competent are one of the reasons that Russia has been and may always be an underachieving country.
I remember hearing or reading something about this. Thanks for reminding me. And yes, in the Soviet system at least, a lot of people ended up in positions of authority for reasons other than competence; ideological reasons.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Not for nothing has Putin pointedly invited the Jews BACK.
He did? Why would they go back? (Seriously, what was he smoking at the time...?). What incentive/s did he give them? Why would they return to a country that came to blame them for the Revolution?

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

11,282 posts, read 16,480,210 times
Look, approximately 5400 years ago there was a huge battle between R1B and R1A. Those who know, know what I am referring to.
It was roughly along the line that runs South to North, from Adriatic to Baltic sea.

Ever since, push against the Eastern side of that line never stopped. This is feud that goes back thousands of years, just like feud between the sons of Abraham never stopped.

Basically, this is what you are discussing here and in any other West vs Russia threads. Because it boils down to R1B vs R1A.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,810,259 times
Quote:
He did? Why would they go back? (Seriously, what was he smoking at the time...?). What incentive/s did he give them? Why would they return to a country that came to blame them for the Revolution?
I agree. Also don't forget: There was a HUGE rise in antisemitism in 1990's, right after the Soviet Union broke up. Jews got mugged in the streets, synagogues got vandalized, the whole nine yards. It was the reason my colleague left for America. He tells me he misses the old country, but feels too bitter to go back.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

109 posts, read 16,229 times
Quote:

https://www.politico.eu/article/puti...ews-to-russia/

The wonderful climate (!)... and BORSCHT!!

Somehow I have resisted the temptation to head over, though. Veselka on the Lower East Side amply fulfills my need for blintzes/pierogies and other such Slavic/Jewish soul food. My haircutters, all from Uzbekistan, are ever augmenting my Russian vocabulary, of course none of it printable in either the Roman or Cyrillic alphabets

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
https://www.politico.eu/article/puti...ews-to-russia/

The wonderful climate (!)... and BORSCHT!!

Somehow I have resisted the temptation to head over, though. Veselka on the Lower East Side amply fulfills my need for blintzes/pierogies and other such Slavic/Jewish soul food. My haircutters, all from Uzbekistan, are ever augmenting my Russian vocabulary, of course none of it printable in either the Roman or Cyrillic alphabets
I didn't make it there, the last time I was in NYC (quite awhile ago). There's a Ukrainian museum around there somewhere, too, isn't there? That's what I wanted to see. I did make it to the Roerich Museum, and loved it! I've been to the Russian Samovar, but I need to branch out, and try Veselka.

Back to topic: Russia's contribution to Western Civilization: good food! They should resurrect the old Soviet-era ice cream recipes, and export deluxe ice cream to the Land of Ben & Jerry's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or