Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 11:33 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Seaman - the dog that accompanied the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery up the Missouri River. Seaman had some interesting adventures including being bitten by a beaver and kidnapped by Indians. He was a 150 pound black Newfoundland bought by Meriwether Lewis for the trip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The most famous Alaskan sled dogs are those that delivered lifesaving diphtheria antitoxin to Nome during a blizzard in 1925.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2020...e-got-his-due/

BBC - Earth - In 1925, a remote town was saved from lethal disease by dogs
My vote is for these dogs too.

It was quite the event. It was necessary to use dog sleds to transport the serum to Nome because in winter months the Bering Strait freezes over and you can't reach it by ship. Roads don't exist in much of Alaska either. The year was 1925 and air transportation was simply too new and too unreliable a technology to be used in the extreme conditions of the Alaskan winter. Although, a couple of pilots volunteered to try anyway. In the end, the governor of Alaska made the decision to use dog sleds.

Every year, a famous dog sled race, the Iditarod, is run through Alaska. Some believe it is to commemorate the "serum run" to Nome. However, that isn't true. I had the privilege of listening to a race contestant lecture about her participation in the race a few years ago. Its not something I could imagine myself doing.
I can recommend the book The Cruelest Miles by Gay Salisbury to any that want to know more about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History