U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM

5,971 posts, read 11,940,724 times
Default Cartoons & Comic Books of the 70's

Well, my first time posting on the History forum, but since I did not grow up in the US, I can't contribute much to the presidents thread. But I can on old B&W cartoons and comic book characters. If this does not belong here (to Entertainment instead) then the mods could move it. I just thought of this since this was the subject over dinner last night. Of course, the kids can't relate. We were having spinach and the talk inevitably moved to Popeye and the whole crew (Olive Oyl, Bluto, Wimpy, Seahag and Sweetpea). But my most fave of all cartoons was Mighty Mouse! I missed Casper and Heckle & Jeckle and wish I could have saved my Mad Magazine. Hubby and I both liked Spy vs. Spy in Mad as well as Archie and Veronica.

So what cartoons and comic mags did you grow up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 AM

866 posts, read 1,175,707 times
As a kid here in Dublin Ireland my favourite comics were Superman, Supergirl, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I think they were all DC comics.

I think most of our comics and cartoon strips in the newspapers came from the US. In our local newspaper my mother used to read Jiggs & Maggie before she read the news.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM

6,796 posts, read 9,136,930 times
In the 70's it was Mad Magazine that still ruled for the degenerate youth. I guess that's classified as a comic book.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 PM

7,065 posts, read 1,993,593 times
I mainly remember The Archies comic books. And we had piles of them.

My brothers had the MAD Magazines

I remember reading Nancy and Beetle Bailey comic strips in the newspapers

Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM

4,305 posts, read 6,608,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In the 70's it was Mad Magazine that still ruled for the degenerate youth. I guess that's classified as a comic book.
I still subscribe. It's not as good as it used to be, especially the artwork.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:09 AM

4,305 posts, read 6,608,681 times
Am I the only enthusiast here of Sgt. Fury & the Howling Commandos? Tremendously progressive strip for its era.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,383,228 times
I can't remember if Walt Kelly's "Pogo" survived into the the 70's, but it stood alone above all other comic strips as a classic of American literature.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM

899 posts, read 617,957 times
And here I thought that this thread was going to be about cartoon and comics that ORIGINATED in the 70s but most of the stuff mentioned in the OP is from the 60s and earlier.
I was a child of 70s but a child IN the 80s so most of the stuff I grew up with was Marvel. They re-released the original Marvel hour so I used to watch Thor, Capt. America, The Hulk, Iron Man and the 1964 Hanna-Barbera Spider-Man cartoon. I remember the Batman movie (the Adam West one) with excitement and Superman (Christopher Reeves) with even more exitement over the course of two nights. I did also watch Popeye
In the newspaper I read the Phantom, Mandrake, Mutt & Jeff, Alley Oop and Nancy. The rest of the strips in the Newspapers in El Salvador were local so you guys probably wouldn't know them. Once in the states, I read Heathcliff, Garfield, Dennis the Menace, Peanuts and Marmaduke. Once I got into my teens it was Calvin & Hobbes (still miss that one), The Far Side, For Better or Worse (though that one was strictly for the art) and Non Sequitur on the newspaper. In comic book format it was X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man and some other random trade paperbacks here and there (like The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City). On tv it was Batman TAS and Superman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History