Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 06:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
May be it isn't that they succeed too much, but that the 'need' to aid them is not there?

Immigration to the United States 1933–41

"The United States had no refugee policy, and American immigration laws were neither revised nor adjusted between 1933 and 1941. The Johnson-Reed Act remained in place until 1965."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They need to not have the doors slammed in their face.
My point is that 1939 aside the quotas were never close to being filled.
According to the information at the link I used in the above post:

"The total allowed was approximately 153,000.

The quota was the maximum number of people who could immigrate, not a target that State Department officials tried to reach. Unused quota slots did not carry into the next year."

Do you have something else that points in a different direction? It is my understanding that no one in the u.s. knew what Hitler was up to, so there was no great emergency for immigrants of those countries. Today there are people being persecuted in many countries around the world, the u.s. knows about it and still won't let them in under the refugee programs.
Quote:
They need to not have the doors slammed in their face.
College admissions and who gets in and who doesn't idk. I just know as for as the federal government goes, if the 'need' is not there, then the aid does not get administered. As for as colleges go, I would think whoever has the money would get admitted ... However, we are of those that have followed after FDR and his New Deal, Great Society in which for all purposes I can see, did tear a play book from the Germany economic model on how to handle that ... 'grow the government'. Could be the federal government has their hand in college admissions, as well. Private industry is not the way it was during the roaring 20s and it will never be that again; that is the only thing I know and understand.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:19 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times
Quote:
I frankly don't understand most of this post but I'll give it a whirl.And my point is they were conveniently absent when it was Jews getting slaughtered.
Do explain. When, where, why?

I couldn't tell by your post.

I could try to travel back, though I was only born in 1957. And yes I am Jewish.

And?

There are such posts, but I've been asked to tone it down on Canada threads.

I am Jewish. How does that make me self-loathing.

I have read other posts of yours. Thankfully, you do better on many of those and I will find one on which to rep you.
I'll save us both the time of breaking those down and just say, you've misunderstood a lot of what I meant.

What purpose does it serve, in 2022, to criticize the US for what Hitler did over 70 years ago?

Almost half a million Americans had to DIE to stop Hitler, posturing by FDR would have done nothing. And I'm no fan of FDR.

What exactly is it that you want to hear?

Old 01-08-2022, 02:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
What purpose does it serve, in 2022, to criticize the US for what Hitler did over 70 years ago?*************
What exactly is it that you want to hear?
I suppose if other groups are demanding special pleading, i.e. the 1619 project, the Jews have a right to have acknowledged the easy tendency towards anti-Semitism. Just because Jews, in general, don't engage in "mostly peaceful" protests that destroy large swaths of major cities does not mean there is no impact of anti-Semitism on foreign policy, or for that matter college admissions.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:54 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Thread temporarily closed for moderator review.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:48 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
This thread is staying closed. Out of the 76 posts, we have had to delete nine. We have had to watch this thread far too closely to make sure we didn't leave any antisemitism posts and to make sure the thread didn't turn into a current politics bash fest. None of us were alive when FDR was President, so we don't really know what public sentiment was like. We also know little about the interactions between the White House and the Congress at that time. Too many posts seem to be applying 21st Century standards to things that took place 85-90 years ago. Nothing will be accomplished without putting things in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History