Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 05:27 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,122,542 times

Advertisements

Anyone else watching "The Dictator's Playbook"?

I stumbled across a terrific documentary on PBS about the history of the Kims of North Korea - but I didn't realize it's a whole series. It doesn't seem to be getting much publicity, but it's very good, and definitely worth a look. Most recent one was Mussolini.

https://www.pbs.org/show/dictators-playbook/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM

16,063 posts, read 10,640,541 times
Mussolini was an interesting show segment. He gets eclipsed by Hitler but he started it all in the 1920s.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,122,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Mussolini was an interesting show segment. He gets eclipsed by Hitler but he started it all in the 1920s.
Yes! What little I saw kept surprising me! Even someone in the film said that most people think that Hitler came first

Old 01-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 7 days ago)

43,440 posts, read 44,149,883 times
I watched the first 3 episodes via the PBS app. I do find it interesting!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,682,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Anyone else watching "The Dictator's Playbook"?

I stumbled across a terrific documentary on PBS about the history of the Kims of North Korea - but I didn't realize it's a whole series. It doesn't seem to be getting much publicity, but it's very good, and definitely worth a look. Most recent one was Mussolini.

https://www.pbs.org/show/dictators-playbook/
Interesting.

I like that they dispensed with the top two obvious choices of Hitler and Stalin. They are exceptional (and fascinating) examples, but are so well known as such that they might overshadow the rest of this rogues gallery. Kim, Mussolini, Hussein and Franco are all terrific subjects.

However, I think Manuel Noriega was a weak choice, and Idi Amin is borderline. As alternatives, I'd have gone with Tito and/or Augusto Pinochet, or perhaps Muammar Gaddafi - though this last one is just personal preference and not one I think is inherently stronger than any on the list.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,184,061 times
I'm assuming this is limited to "bad dictators"' There have been some whose citizens were perfectly happy and prosperous with them, like in Brunei and Jordan, which are monarchies, and Singapore.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,238,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Many of the economic policies put in place in Italy in the 1922-1939 period outlasted the war, were pillars of the Italian economy for at least four decades afterwards, and remnants of them are still standing today, for better and for worse.

As you allude to, his biggest mistakes were attempting foreign expansion, stepping on British toes, and allying with Hitler; if he had emulated Salazar and Franco instead he would have lasted another couple of decades at least.

Has Salazar been featured in the series?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 AM

25,428 posts, read 17,109,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I'm assuming this is limited to "bad dictators"' There have been some whose citizens were perfectly happy and prosperous with them, like in Brunei and Jordan, which are monarchies, and Singapore.
And Bhutan, which is so unique that it is worth learning about. They only recently converted from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy, so they probably should really be mentioned in a conversation about dictators.
In Bhutan they actually measure Gross National Happiness.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,682,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
An element of dictatorship is absolute power on the part of the dictator. Power in both Jordan and Singapore, while disproportionately in the hands of the King and the Prime Minister, respectively, is still checked in part by legislative and judicial branches with real power. Though those countries are hardly manifestations of liberal democracies, they're not dictatorships. Freedom House lists both as 'partly free'. Brunei fits much better into the dictatorship category, but this is only a six-episode series and is thus limited to history's more interesting regimes of this nature. Brunei is a microstate that behaves itself internationally (as microstates must) and lacks compelling drama - no March on Rome, no videotaped purge, no significant cult of personality, etc. Featuring it would make for a very boring episode.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 AM

949 posts, read 568,206 times
Yes, it is an excellent series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History