Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:54 AM

155 posts, read 89,941 times

Advertisements

In 2016, when the Comey letter came out 2 weeks before the election, was that the final nail in the coffin for Hillary Clinton? I think that it likely shaved a couple of points off Clinton's total, but I think a better campaign would have left her less exposed to an October surprise. For example, she shouldn't have completely ceded the white working class vote. She should have focused more on economic fairness than social diversity. She focused a lot of attention on white collar women with a college degree. The problem with that is she was heavily reliant on a group of voters that all things equal, would have preferred to vote for the Republican candidate. As soon as fresh doubts about her arose, those voters were all too eager to flee. She also failed to get the Obama coalition excited about her candidacy. She also spent all of her resources focused on Florida and North Carolina, which she lost anyway, and neglected the rust belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 10:24 AM

640 posts, read 448,675 times
Default Not really

You are thinking of minor issues. You are forgetting that the main reason she lost was it was evident to most people that she was an "evil witch," a common characterization then. She has been so mired in scandals and was so unlikable that people just didn't want her.

At the same time, a popular and good-looking business mogul and TV star was offering a radical change from the policies of the previous administrations. A brilliant marketer, he had identified the issues the Americans really cared about and tapped into those. He was truly different from everyone before him.

It was no contest.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,993,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
You are thinking of minor issues. You are forgetting that the main reason she lost was it was evident to most people that she was an "evil witch," a common characterization then. She has been so mired in scandals and was so unlikable that people just didn't want her.

At the same time, a popular and good-looking business mogul and TV star was offering a radical change from the policies of the previous administrations. A brilliant marketer, he had identified the issues the Americans really cared about and tapped into those. He was truly different from everyone before him.

It was no contest.
More people voted for Hilary, he only won due to the Electoral College. In fact he lost the popular vote by the widest margin of any person to win the White House. IMHO, she ran a bad election.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I agree with anyone who said she ran a poor campaign. I was one of those people who held my nose and voted for her just to stop Trump. But her campaign was boring and mostly what I remember was her always introducing that Muslim couple whose son had died serving our country. She seemed too certain that she would win and didn't seem to put much into the campaign.

That letter toward the end may had stopped some people from voting at all but I don't think that's what lost her the election. I read from reliable? sources that some Russians interfered, maybe through social media, I don't know. It's been said that they have long interfered in European elections so there's probably some truth to it.

Still, if she had put more enthusiasm into it and told us in a strong way what sort of things she would do to make the country better, she could have won. She didn't display leadership. Mostly I only remember her parading that poor Muslim couple around, probably to show us (because we are stupid or ignorant) that Muslims are not bad. It was sort of insulting to that poor couple as well as to us.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:06 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
More people voted for Hilary, he only won due to the Electoral College. In fact, he lost the popular vote by the widest margin of any person to win the White House.
Worth repeating. Some would say the Electoral College "sunk" her.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I think we may be getting to close to current politics for this forum, but I don't think the Comey letter impacted the election at all. Clinton constantly repeats this but it's really just her redirecting the blame. Simply enough - she was an unlikeable candidate and her campaign committed a major strategic error by ignoring one of the her parties major demographic groups: the working class.

The electoral college didn't sink her, it worked exactly as intended. Those running her campaign should have campaigned to consider the electoral college vote. That was another strategic error in her campaign.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:36 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think we may be getting to close to current politics for this forum, but I don't think the Comey letter impacted the election at all. Clinton constantly repeats this but it's really just her redirecting the blame. Simply enough - she was an unlikeable candidate and her campaign committed a major strategic error by ignoring one of the her parties major demographic groups: the working class.

The electoral college didn't sink her, it worked exactly as intended. Those running her campaign should have campaigned to consider the electoral college vote. That was another strategic error in her campaign.
We are close to breaking the forum rules, so I won't mention her opponent.

She made a speech in Kentucky about renewable energy. In the process of talking about putting people to work on wind farms and other alternate energy systems, she said "We're going to put a lot of coal miners out of work." Of course, that sentence was replayed time after time in commercials. Out of context, but that's the way politics works. That cost her all of the coal miner's (and their families and friends) votes in Kentucky, West Virginia, and several other states. Nothing else really mattered.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:55 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In addition to being not particularly likeable...I felt like she campaigned on being the most experienced and qualified and not about what she would do. Part of the problem with that, is that Politics is one of those arenas where being completely inexperienced works or can work to your advantage, at least in an election.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:01 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
More people voted for Hilary, he only won due to the Electoral College.
Which has been in place since the Constitution.

Last edited by allenk893; 03-09-2022 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-09-2022, 05:08 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We are close to breaking the forum rules, so I won't mention her opponent.

She made a speech in Kentucky about renewable energy. In the process of talking about putting people to work on wind farms and other alternate energy systems, she said "We're going to put a lot of coal miners out of work." Of course, that sentence was replayed time after time in commercials. Out of context, but that's the way politics works. That cost her all of the coal miner's (and their families and friends) votes in Kentucky, West Virginia, and several other states. Nothing else really mattered.
Let's not forget the infamous "deplorables" comment. That really endeared her to America's heartland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History