Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 12:07 PM

150 posts, read 155,657 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am not trying to generalize but I think we can all agree that people back then had worse hygiene than today. Today we have sanitizers, soap, shampoos and etc. I’m sure these things were available back then as well, but I think getting access to these products was a little more difficult today. Due to poverty and lack of technology.

My question is: How did people have sex back then with such terrible hygiene? Did their body odors of pubes, sweat, etc not turn each other off? Honestly, I can’t stand being around a smelly person for more than 30 seconds. I bet not a lot of people shaved their pubic hair either. The weird thing is that people back then seem more perverted than today. If you look at Ancient Greek, Indian, etc art, it seems pretty sexual.

I heard in ancient Pompeii, people were so sex-obsessed that they had penis-shaped everything. From a random statue on the street, to a painting in the house. Everything has a picture of an erect penis. Is it just me or did people seem more perverted back then? I think the spread of Christianity and Islam has tamed people a little bit ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 12:21 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If everybody smells, nobody smells.

Phallus symbols refer to more than sex.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books...3FAF86F586B5DF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascinus

Old 04-15-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If everybody smells, nobody smells.

Phallus symbols refer to more than sex.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books...3FAF86F586B5DF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascinus
The only time I wanna see one is when I’m in the bedroom with my man. Not when I’m walking in the street. I don’t care what it means in ancient culture

Old 04-15-2022, 12:30 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
The only time I wanna see one is when I’m in the bedroom with my man. Not when I’m walking in the street
Different norms for different times.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Ancient Rome was actually big on bathing, they had public baths everywhere. Other cultures had various soaps, lotions, etc.

Otherwise as stated it was a matter of just living with the hygiene level that everyone else lived with in those times. This was pretty much a fact of life until indoor plumbing became common in the early 20th century.

As stated, phalic symbols were also used for religious or fertility purposes. In Pompeii they did have some as artwork in some of the homes, but more commonly they were exhibited in their houses of prostitution.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ancient Rome was actually big on bathing, they had public baths everywhere. Other cultures had various soaps, lotions, etc.

Otherwise as stated it was a matter of just living with the hygiene level that everyone else lived with in those times. This was pretty much a fact of life until indoor plumbing became common in the early 20th century.

As stated, phalic symbols were also used for religious or fertility purposes. In Pompeii they did have some as artwork in some of the homes, but more commonly they were exhibited in their houses of prostitution.
Tbh it sounds like our ancestors were a bunch of crazies. But I also feel bad for them too. They were ignorant. They had no technology and poverty which also made life tough

Last edited by basket123; 04-15-2022 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-15-2022, 12:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,649 times
I also don't understand, from a modern vantage point, how they could stand getting close to each other. There must be some writings on this issue.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:03 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Animals do it all the time, & we are animals too. It's silly, imo, to impose modern day values on old cultures.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hello,

I am not trying to generalize but I think we can all agree that people back then had worse hygiene than today. Today we have sanitizers, soap, shampoos and etc. I’m sure these things were available back then as well, but I think getting access to these products was a little more difficult today. Due to poverty and lack of technology.

My question is: How did people have sex back then with such terrible hygiene? Did their body odors of pubes, sweat, etc not turn each other off? Honestly, I can’t stand being around a smelly person for more than 30 seconds. I bet not a lot of people shaved their pubic hair either. The weird thing is that people back then seem more perverted than today. If you look at Ancient Greek, Indian, etc art, it seems pretty sexual.

I heard in ancient Pompeii, people were so sex-obsessed that they had penis-shaped everything. From a random statue on the street, to a painting in the house. Everything has a picture of an erect penis. Is it just me or did people seem more perverted back then? I think the spread of Christianity and Islam has tamed people a little bit ?
It seems you equate sexuality with perversion.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
dont forget they dont live as long as we do,some one points out that American Indian woman reaches puberty at 13 ,she starts to mentruate and bear children,dies in her 30s,no menopause and since she keeps bearing children,her hormone level stays flat,no wild fluctuation which is one cause of female cancer.But I wonder if there are more cases of cervical cancer due to male penis not circumcised and having sex too early is also a cause of cervical cancer in later life.
In ancient Rome,only noble family son can afford a dowry so the noble girls who marry early end up having cervical cancer more so than lower class Roman women.
The men also have sex with other men and with animals,but women have less sexual partners unless she is in that trade.
Some think epilepsy is caused by a virus from sheep as men have sex with sheep and passed them on to their spouse who bear children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History