Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 09:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
They did one good thing. They launched a sneak attack against Pearl Harbor. In so doing, they guaranteed for themselves their complete and utter destruction, and the consequent transition of Japan from a stain on humanity to a valued, contributing member of the world community.
"The end justifies the means"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 07:05 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
He probably knew that the war was lost as soon as he found out that they'd launched an undeclared attack.
I don't have a quote or a link but he was famous for predicting that the U.S. would have Japan on the ropes within a year of any such attack.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:25 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That is not my theory at all. FDR took his sweet time going to war while Stalin and Hitler were buddies. He had a fascination with appeasing Stalin; we are still paying for it in the way the UN was set up and the manner in winch decolonization proceeded. Basically he was dragged into the war kicking and screaming.
Well FDR had Soviet spies on his staff. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...002-story.html

Old 05-05-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Well FDR had Soviet spies on his staff. https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...002-story.html
I read the article. None of that is the least bit surprising. FDR felt that Britain and France's time had passed, and the new era would be dominated by the USSR and, more strangely, China. China ended WW II extremely weak, torn by a civil war and reeling from partial Japanese occupation. Leadership in China was insecure and corrupt. And yet FDR wanted for China a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, giving it, along with the USSR a veto on Security Council resolutions. This was among many of FDR's dubious parting "gifts."

Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
I read the article. None of that is the least bit surprising. FDR felt that Britain and France's time had passed, and the new era would be dominated by the USSR and, more strangely, China. China ended WW II extremely weak, torn by a civil war and reeling from partial Japanese occupation. Leadership in China was insecure and corrupt. And yet FDR wanted for China a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, giving it, along with the USSR a veto on Security Council resolutions. This was among many of FDR's dubious parting "gifts."
France and Britain received permanent seats on the UN Security Council along with the USA. It was only fitting that the USSR receive one too. China is more questionable to me. However, China has the distinction of having the highest population of any nation. Perhaps, that was an argument for giving them this seat.

I note one of the first things the UN did was end the mandate placed upon Palestine by the British thus allowing Israel to become an independent nation. I am sure you agree with that action. I think the UN--as originally constituted--worked fairly well. The problems began with the admission of so many minor countries and giving them an equal vote in the General Assembly with nations like the USA.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:37 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,610 times
Quote:
I don't have a quote or a link but he was famous for predicting that the U.S. would have Japan on the ropes within a year of any such attack.

This one?

https://quotes.thefamouspeople.com/i...amoto-4837.php

Old 05-06-2022, 06:03 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
He was also known to have warned Tojo not to get any wild ideas about invading California. Americans wouldn't fight with pikes and spears........they'd have GUNS!

Old 05-06-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
France and Britain received permanent seats on the UN Security Council along with the USA. It was only fitting that the USSR receive one too. China is more questionable to me. However, China has the distinction of having the highest population of any nation. Perhaps, that was an argument for giving them this seat.

I note one of the first things the UN did was end the mandate placed upon Palestine by the British thus allowing Israel to become an independent nation. I am sure you agree with that action. I think the UN--as originally constituted--worked fairly well. The problems began with the admission of so many minor countries and giving them an equal vote in the General Assembly with nations like the USA.
The admission of Israel was about the last salubrious U.N. action, and possibly, with a Soviet boycott, opposition to the DPRK's invasion of ROK. After that it was steeply downhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Yes, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
He was also known to have warned Tojo not to get any wild ideas about invading California. Americans wouldn't fight with pikes and spears........they'd have GUNS!
I'm not surprised. Yamamoto had some kernel of sanity. Tojo, not so much.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:50 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'd like to see the Security Council members shuffled every 5 years, with the 5 seats going to the 5 nations that spent the most on their military during the previous 5 years. (After all, a strong military would help with "security" would it not?) Doing a quick search of the top 5 just for the year 2020 (not the previous 5 years in total) yields 4 of the 5 current members. The only exception is that France would be replaced by India.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 850,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I grew up hating [Japanese people]! I watched movies where they did nothing but EVIL. I remember my mother explaining the Rape of Nanjing: [Japanese] throwing babies in the air and catching them on their bayonets. It took 73 years, but I have found something good to say about [Japanese] in the war! We recently watched a 2002 documentary "Shanghai Ghetto". Many European Jews took refuge in Shanghai in the 1930s. The German allies of the Japanese occupiers of China wanted to deport the Jews back to Germany which was probably a lie and they'd have been disposed of immediately. But the Japanese told their allies to buzz off. The Jews weren't causing any problem. Today it's estimated that there are over 100,000 descendants of the Shanghai Jewish Ghetto.
I no longer use the term "(Snip)" and I think the Americans of Japanese descent got screwed royally by our government in WWII (not our proudest moment). I'm sure the German Americans on east coast were a much bigger problem/threat. Heck, they even had Nazi rallies prior to the war. Why were they never interned?
There was a real scare after Pearl Harbor that the Japanese would not only invade Hawaii but land along the west coast of the mainland. The opinion at the time was that the invaders might receive assistance and collaboration from the Japanese people in California/Oregon/ Washington thus it was decided to move them to camps well away from the coast.

On the other hand there was zero chance that Nazi Germany could do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History