Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times

Advertisements

Can Christianity claim to be Western when they are based on Judaism which clearly is Middle Eastern?
Even democracy is not exclusively a Western invention.
There had been 'primitive' societies who were democratic before they were either conquered or wiped out by European colonists.

Last edited by Tricky D; 05-23-2008 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I don't think they "claim" to be anything. I guess they are simply labeled as a western religion because most of the people in the western hemisphere are christian.
Christianity has it's basis in Judeaism and also borrows elements from various ancient pagan religions.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dd714
Quote:
I don't think they "claim" to be anything. I guess they are simply labeled as a western religion because most of the people in the western hemisphere are christian.
Be that as it may, the fact still remains that the roots of Christianity still is Middle Eastern.
And you could say that Judaism differs as much from the Islam as Catholics differ from Protestants.
So if Judaism and the Islam are Middle Eastern, the odd duck would be the Christians if they insist that they are Western.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
Perhaps we should start "steering" this more towards "The History of Christianity" Which is a subject that is very interesting in itself.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Well, I would consider Greek and Roman civilizations to be Western, and Christianity was very much influenced by those two cultures.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 PM

166 posts, read 705,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I would consider Greek and Roman civilizations to be Western, and Christianity was very much influenced by those two cultures.
This is very true if you look at the history of Christianity. Many features of early Christianity mirrored Jewish practice, such as circumsision and the dietary laws (no pork, kosher). These features were dropped from the church however, because the Romans and Germanic peoples would not convert with these requirements. Furthermore, we celebrate Christmas on December 25 because this was already the date of a Roman Holiday. For these reasons, you can argue that Christianity is a "Western" religion. If European thoughts and practices had not influenced the development of the religion, Christian practices today would probably resemble Jewish practices a lot more.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by cpg35223
Quote:
I would consider Greek and Roman civilizations to be Western
Why?
The Greeks now, like back then, more resemble the Turkish than a Norwegian. Besides the Romans fashioned themselves after the Greeks.
I guess it is more that the Romans assimilate everything they regard as successful, or which might work in pacifying the people.
Besides what the ancient Greeks understood under democracy is not the same as our (modern) definition.
I mean only the Greek males could vote and no slaves either.
If you ask me it still is the same as the aristocracy or the educated elite.

Originally Posted by Trudeyrose
Quote:
Perhaps we should start "steering" this more towards "The History of Christianity" Which is a subject that is very interesting in itself.
I don't mind how you call it, I just find the wording Western inconsistent.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:05 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
OK,then...let's not use "Western" And one other thought...Calling it "Western Christianity" may be used when also talking about "Eastern Christianity" to distinguish the two in a discussion about Christianity in general...

Old 05-24-2008, 09:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I think some people here are mxing up terms, that happens when there is no real definition of the terms.

I am Eastern Orthodox and I have never heard it refered to as "western".

Western has been now days associated with politics and a certain way of life, I do not see how it is related to religion.

Middle eastern is a region on Earth and is also associated with a lifestyle.

So, since there is really no hard defintion of what western and middle eastern is and both terms can mean many things, the question itself has flaws.

But of course I can read through the lines and see it is meaning to be insultive to Christiananity.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by k350
Quote:
But of course I can read through the lines and see it is meaning to be insultive to Christiananity.
I just asked this question because a Turkish paper was discussing that Judaism is as Middle Eastern as the Islam.
That saying that Israel does not belong in the Middle East is illogical reasoning.
The thing is that Israel considers itself Western because they have a democracy, but I do not find democracy a 'Western' concept.
Nor do I find Christianity a 'Western' concept since its origin is clearly Middle Eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History