Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 10:31 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times

Advertisements

As a parenting method I think that it's utility is minimal. I was spanked as a kid, but really can only recall maybe once? I'm sure it happened more than once but I think it was the result of overtired/overstressed parents rather than a conscientious decision of discipline.

Now, as a judicial punishment? I'd love to see caning brought back for petty theft, vandalism, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 11:08 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Because it is violence that too often occurs when the offender is angry and not truly intent upon "teaching a lesson". The thought that anyone would want to inflict pain on another human being, let alone a child, is preposterous. It is no different than torture.

Whipping, eye for an eye biting, strapping, stress positioning. It is inhumane. Spanking a diapered baby has no good reason at all. None.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:53 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,822,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I might make an exception for the mentally ill street folks, but absolutely agree otherwise.
After a couple of warnings I believe it is justified. Many of the mentally ill attack one unsuspecting victim after another. They are simply released each time.

Even the mentally ill understand pain and how to avoid it.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:40 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Society's belief in the ability of violence to resolve conflicts and problems dropped dramatically. Probably not coincidentally after the 2nd of two massively destructive World Wars. If you abhor violence in the streets, violence between soldiers, violence to 'get what's yours' etc. then you'll abhor violence in your own family as well.

It's a double-edged sword though. You raised generations full of kids who not only have sworn off violence but have never been exposed to it first hand. That might make them very sheltered and vulnerable.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:41 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,281,183 times
We (my Brother and Sisters) got the belt and scandal beatings by my mother and in public. She did to me like they did to her which after adult I found out it was way worse than us. We got hit by the rulers in school in elementary school and the teachers knew how and where to hit to get away with it (never in the face) but the rest of the body like legs and behind were fair game. I got hit 3 times one time (1st grade) in the legs by the ruler for chewing gum in class. I never did that to my kids and I broke the cycle.

Thank God the school changed that because I would never allow a teacher assault my son in front of the class and force my son to keep returning to that teacher for the rest of the year and be in fear of that teacher. My mind changed after being an adult. You can show a minor that they are wrong and be an adult other than kicking their a$$es and force them to fear you which in the long run isn't going to work and you are the one getting the a$$ kicking or a bullet in the head.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:34 PM

53 posts, read 25,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
Is this really true or just a case of 'juvenoia'? Are the youth today really rowdier? I feel that social media has given us the ability to see the worst kids/teens/young adults when in reality they probably always existed and we just didn't see them.
From my experiences: Forty years ago it seemed as if there was that one family whose kids did no wrong, they were the exception to the rule.

Today it seems 'my kids do no wrong' is the rule.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:51 PM

53 posts, read 25,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
After a couple of warnings I believe it is justified. Many of the mentally ill attack one unsuspecting victim after another. They are simply released each time.

Even the mentally ill understand pain and how to avoid it.
... and if they're so 'mentally ill,' why do they usually run and hide after committing a crime?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
To this day I’ll rip out every forsythia bush I see.
For us (mostly me) it was a switch from the apple tree!

Old 06-21-2022, 02:59 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Dr. Spock is to blame. He radically changed child rearing from love and tough love to touchy-feely "be your kid's BFF" and let them run wild and dp whatever they want.

Idiot. And an entire generation listened.

https://historyofyesterday.com/the-b...s-5cf3283b9506

Old 06-21-2022, 03:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
I'm from a developing country but have lived in the States, Ireland, and the UK. It seems that in the West, corporal punishment is no longer a thing (thank goodness). But I wonder why?
Over time, corporal punishment in the U.S. has come to be seen as something only the lower classes do.

In fact, when black NFL star Adrian Peterson was revealed in 2018 to hit his 4 year old son with a switch as punishment, most people didn't know what a "switch" was. Follow-up explanations labeled it as "something black people use" because the young white reporters came from upper-middle homes where corporal punishment was not used. Yet as a white working class boy in New Jersey, I was hit with a switch in the 1960's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History