Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 06:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times

Advertisements

I was going telephone work in Saint Francis Hospital,work shop,when JFK was shot and Walter Cronkite came on the air crying announcing JFK had been shot and had passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 06:58 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Don't remember it at all.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I guess I might as well add this one,Cuban Missle crisis.I was working in Kaman Aircraft in CT when they locked down and all aircraft went to Nebraska,it was ery.They search us as we left.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:24 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
I was in Australia when the news came through about the JFK assassination. The news was all over the place for a while, and we were getting conflicting reports until everything had been sorted out. First it was that Robert Kennedy had been shot and wounded. Then it was that Robert Kennedy had died from gunshot wounds. Then the truth finally came out that it was JFK who had been assassinated. The first I heard was when mom came into my bedroom in the morning and told me that Robert Kennedy had been shot. When the facts began to emerge via the TV/radio news service later in the day, I think it would be fair to say that the whole country (Australia) was in a state of shocked numbness.

Perhaps of interest, had a Prime Minister of Australia been assassinated I think that I can safely say that this would hardly have registered a blip on the International News Service. I remember when Australian PM, Harold Holt, disappeared in 1967. He was presumed drowned. While this was, obviously, big news in Australia, the only article I saw that appeared in an American newspaper was given a tiny slot on page 2 and even then, they got his name wrong. He was referred to as Harold Hoyt.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:58 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Earlier this year during the war now going on in Ukraine the Russian artillery were shelling a nuclear power station which was being defended by the Ukrainian Army. How crazy can it get ???

I dont remember what I was doing when Chernobyl happened Moderator cut: Off topic remarks removed.

Perhaps a future thread titled

Do you remember where you were when the Apocalypse finally happened ?
How crazy indeed...we are the same page there, James.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I was 10 years old and heard it on the news. I lived in Sweden at the time.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:46 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I was too young at the time, so I don’t remember any of the reporting on this or what I was doing when it happened.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:45 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I was in college and I remember hearing something about it but not paying too much attention to it. It seemed so far away and I had lots going on as most college kids do.

I do, however, vividly remember being in the Student Center and watching news coverage of the Challenger Disaster in January of 1986. I had been in that same building cramming for an exam and sipping on black coffee when Joe Theismann broke his leg in Nov 1985. I also vividly remember watching coverage of Baby Jessica's rescue out of the well in Oct of '87.

But Chernobyl really didn't resonate with me for some reason.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-25-2023 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-25-2023, 03:28 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
.........But Chernobyl really didn't resonate with me for some reason.
Maybe because it was the USSR and they weren't on the gift card list at the time. I mean, we were pretty deep in the Cold War at the time.

Old 02-25-2023, 04:37 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I was 10 years old and heard it on the news. I lived in Sweden at the time.
Sweden was the first country to detect the Chernobyl meltdown, if I remember correctly.

The Ukraine was part of the USSR then, and Russia was not at all swift in reporting the news. I was going to college for nursing at the time, and we discussed it.

Fifteen years later, when I first visited Ukraine, I turned down the opportunity, if you want to call it that, to visit Chernobyl. I was also told by our interpreter from the adoption agency I worked for, to avoid eating too many mushrooms and berries. Many older women would sit in Kyiv selling berries and mushrooms. The day before, I bought both and I'd already eaten them!

Anyway, the news of Chernobyl came to us in a piece meal fashion, as all news from the USSR did back then. I don't think Russia is any less secretive now than it was then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History