U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM

5,365 posts, read 8,662,595 times

Advertisements

Mason L. (Parson) Weems. I had no idea until Washington and the cherry tree were mentioned.

Parson Weems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've got nothing to offer right now, so anyone who wants to post the next one - go right ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,200,501 times
I had no idea about Weems until the Washington reference. Good one!

Should be an easy one--well known fellow.

I was once described as "A brown, chunky little chap, with a long body, short legs, not enough neck to hang him, and such long arms that if his ankles itch he can scratch them without stooping." Despite rising to the highest rank possible, General of the Army, I had a rough start. Only getting into West Point after a congressman's first choice was dropped I was suspended for a year after fighting with a classmate and threatening to kill him with a bayonet.
I achieved national fame during the Civil War but the bulk of my career was formed as an "Indian fighter". I developed a reputation of scrupulous honesty and was dreaded by corrupt army officers and Indian Agents alike who attempted to profit at the expense of the government and natives. Despite sympathizing with the natives my reputation suffered after my death as a racist and pursuing "genocide" despite my letters documenting my feelings and usually placing blame upon settlers who routinely violated law and regulations involving travel, trapping, and settling.

I also played a small role in dissuading the French from having designs upon Mexico, oversaw reconstruction in two states. As a guest of the King of Prussia, I also saw the surrender of Napoleon III to the Germans, an event I especially appreciated after my experiences with the French in Mexico. I also was in charge during the last time Chicago was under martial law. I also promoted and oversaw the placing of the military in charge of Yellowstone, effectively preserving the park from poachers, vandals and profiteers.

While achieving many notable accomplishments, I was frequently overshadowed by others. Who am I?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,334,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Mason L. (Parson) Weems. I had no idea until Washington and the cherry tree were mentioned.

Parson Weems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've got nothing to offer right now, so anyone who wants to post the next one - go right ahead.
Weems is correct

Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Philip Sheridan

Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM

This is a photo edition of Who am I?
I am an Italian actor, pictured below. I was born in Padua, and switched to directing 40 years ago. As a director, I have won a Golden Gryphon award. This photo is a still from a Fellini movie, in which I played a fictional character whose name has become a household word in modern American English and most other languages. This word is most likely to come to mind while you are in the check out line at the supermarket.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-26-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM

12,225 posts, read 7,622,067 times
Walter Santesso

Old 12-08-2009, 01:01 PM

11,290 posts, read 9,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The most famous story I wrote was a biography of George Washington, which was either poorly researched or intentionally misleading, with reference to some very faulty conclusions that remain somewhat carved in stone, involving things like axes and cherry trees and untold lies.
Parson Weems?

edit...damn too late

Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Walter Santesso
Correct. The actor who portrayed Paparazzo, a news cameraman in this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3E1E...F8CB1&index=13

Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM

12,225 posts, read 7,622,067 times
I was born in the US in the 19th century. I suffered from depression and panic attacks that caused me to drop out of college. I returned to college and was part of a hazing incident that caused all in my class to be punished.

Pancho Villa's incursion into the US resulted in my entire class being mobilized.

I was a political conservative and detested Roosevelt's "New Deal." I made my stand on the issue quite clear with a letter to Roosevelt. However, separate from that, I benefited from the New Deal because of suspended mortgage laws.

Eventually I co-founded an organization that has saved many lives. My wife founded the organization that has been helpful to others who revolved in the orbit of the people I helped.

Many of the obits in the newspapers of today mention that the deceased was a friend of mine.

Who am I?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Bill (and Lois) Wilson? That was a tough one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History