Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

John, we need to keep exploring on this one. Good so far, but there is much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What was New Jersey's position on slavery leading up to the Civil War? In conjunction to this, where did the state stand on Lincoln, the Confederacy, & the war itself.

Hint - Nothing is obvious, but it is out there. I'll check back later. I have something that has to be done. This is tricky. I have a 2nd hint, if it's needed.
Here's another hint........ Use your imagination to draw the Mason-Dixon line to the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 PM

201 posts, read 656,039 times
Red face david...at his finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

PUZZLER: What was the purpose of the "David" statue?
From what I gather, the original purpose of the statue was merely to decorate a cathedral in Florence. It was commissioned by the Arte della Lana (Guild of Wool merchants), who were assigned the job of managing the appearance of florence's cathedrals. However, when Michaelangelo completed David, choosing to depict him before he went into battle, Florence began viewing the statue as a political sign (the hero going into battle was compared to the recent overthrow of the Medici family) and today is even thought of as being a symbol of Florence's independence...(well, to the residents anyway).

Old 05-31-2008, 06:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Can I toss one in the hopper?

Old 05-31-2008, 01:37 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
John, we need to keep exploring on this one. Good so far, but there is much more.
Harry,

The historical background for the David statue is that Florence had just won its independence from the Medici, a banking family that virtually ruled Florence from 1434 to 1494. At the time, Italy consisted of of several competing and often warring states. I've read two or three versions of why David was commissioned, but one is that, to commemorate their newly found independence, the city fathers wanted a magnificent figure to serve as a symbol pf protection for Florence.

Another version is that David was intended to be used as a buttress in the Duomo or Cathedral. There is strong evidence that Michelangelo himself had no idea where David would be used, because sculptors who knew that a statue was intended to go into a niche of a building wouldn't finish the back side of the statue. David, of course, was a complete and finished statue in every detail. It's said that Michelangelo designed David to exude the kind of relaxed confidence that would give any aggressor pause.

On a tour to Florence, we were taken to a bluff overlooking the city, where a copy of David presides. It was a great introduction to the city. Later we saw a second copy in the square and then the original David. BTW, the Duomo or cathedral is as much a treasure as David. The story of Brunelleschi's unique design for the Cathedral dome is one of the great stories of architecture. It's said that the men who worked on the dome were terrified at first and didn't trust the stability of the unorthodox structure. Brunelleschi personally went up and laid some of the bricks to allay their fears. There is a book on the history of the dome called "Brunelleschi's Dome." I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list of must-reads.
John

Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 PM

Thumbs up I think john got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Harry,

The historical background for the David statue is that Florence had just won its independence from the Medici, a banking family that virtually ruled Florence from 1434 to 1494. At the time, Italy consisted of of several competing and often warring states. I've read two or three versions of why David was commissioned, but one is that, to commemorate their newly found independence, the city fathers wanted a magnificent figure to serve as a symbol pf protection for Florence.

Another version is that David was intended to be used as a buttress in the Duomo or Cathedral. There is strong evidence that Michelangelo himself had no idea where David would be used, because sculptors who knew that a statue was intended to go into a niche of a building wouldn't finish the back side of the statue. David, of course, was a complete and finished statue in every detail. It's said that Michelangelo designed David to exude the kind of relaxed confidence that would give any aggressor pause.

On a tour to Florence, we were taken to a bluff overlooking the city, where a copy of David presides. It was a great introduction to the city. Later we saw a second copy in the square and then the original David. BTW, the Duomo or cathedral is as much a treasure as David. The story of Brunelleschi's unique design for the Cathedral dome is one of the great stories of architecture. It's said that the men who worked on the dome were terrified at first and didn't trust the stability of the unorthodox structure. Brunelleschi personally went up and laid some of the bricks to allay their fears. There is a book on the history of the dome called "Brunelleschi's Dome." I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list of must-reads.
John
Well said John. I'll have to add that book to my must-reads list as well

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
According to a past History Channel program, the David statue was originally intended to sit near the top of the Cathedral, hence the large scale of it. When it was finally unveiled after years of work, the Medici had just barely been booted out, and it was decided to place it in front of the city municipal building as a statement; Florence being the David, and the Medici being the unseen Goliath.

When one of the Medici brothers, who had been raised to become a power in the church, was able to convince the Pope of his cause, the Church raised an army for him to re-take Florence. Later, he actually became Pope. Oops!

What I found interesting was that Michelangelo was literally raised by the Medici family, alongside the two young Medici brothers. Since the family was his patron, he was working with their blessing on the statue that was eventually used as a symbol of resistance to them. To the Medici credit, the statue was not destroyed when power was regained.

The Medici were so powerful that even today we regard their personal promotion of the arts and sciences as "The Renaissance."

Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
I have nothing to add. Just wanted to state that this is the best and most adult thread on the site. Great insight from all. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Default who am i???

ok...how about another "who am i?".... (it's been a while)

I was a Roman Catholic Missionary from the Congregation of Sacred Hearts who reformed how the medical field treats patients. I was recently honored as "De Grootste Belg" and there is a statue of me in the national capital as well as in a state capital (US). Although I spent my life helping people of a different disease, I have many hiv/aids clinics around the world, allowing doctors to fully understand the disease and it's varied effects on patients. I was the strongest voice for lepers until my death, when worldwide attention was focused on the disease. Who am I?

*hint- my colony was Kalawao (CALL-a-vow)

Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
Father Damien????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History