U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM

594 posts, read 1,108,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
Thanks, Steve Bagu.
I'm over 50 millions years old. I arrived in America from England as stowaways on Pilgrim ships. While in office President Dwight Eisenhower despised me, but President Ronald Reagan loved me. Also Princess Diana was extremely fond of me. Who Am I?
At first I thought a type of bird, but I'll say squirrels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
997 posts, read 1,275,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
At first I thought a type of bird, but I'll say squirrels.
We got a winner, it's indeed a squirrel. One interesting fact
- the most densely squirrel-populated area in the world is Lafayette Park in Washington, D.C. where surrounding offices pooled together resources in the 1960s to provide a constant supply of peanuts for their furry neigbors.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
We got a winner, it's indeed a squirrel. One interesting fact
- the most densely squirrel-populated area in the world is Lafayette Park in Washington, D.C. where surrounding offices pooled together resources in the 1960s to provide a constant supply of peanuts for their furry neigbors.
Marcian, excellent question. BTW, I found that 60 European Starlings were brought from England in 1860 and released in New York's Central Park. A few years later 40 more were released. Of course, they multiplied into millions and have been a threat to several native species.

New question: I was born in Scotland in 1756. At 14 I emigrated to New York City and worked in my uncle's counting house, where I made my fortune. Later, I returned to Scotland and worked on a design for a new type of road construction. It's said to be most revolutionary design in road building since the time of the Romans, although it has undergone several modifications. It was first adapted in the US in building a stretch of road in Maryland. This type of road still carries my name.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 PM

35,579 posts, read 43,835,802 times
John Loudon McAdam - "mcadam roads" ????

Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
John Loudon McAdam - "mcadam roads" ????
Correct and it's your turn. The first use of McAdam's road design was in Maryland on the National Post Road (now alternate Rt 40) between Boonsboro and Hagerstown, MD. Later it was used in extending Rt 40 between Hagerstown and Cumberland, MD.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM

I wrote this from New York in the Mid-19th Century. Who am I?

"In the event of war with any foreign government I should desire to be brought into active service in the field with as high a rank in the regular army as I could obtain. If that could not be accomplished without leaving the Corps of Engineers, I should then desire a transfer. . . ."

Old 08-31-2008, 12:44 PM

5,292 posts, read 10,397,121 times
Interjecting a bit. While back I put in the question on "I lost my ship", well, just got thru watching the movie "30 secs over tokyo" and saw again where Van Johnson crawled ashore and standing up looked towards the tail end of his plane sticking up out of the water and says " I lost my ship, I lost my ship". Backing up my memory I guess, Steve

Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM

Shoot, Steve. I thought you had come back on to provide the answer to my question!!!

But nice that you got to catch that Van Johnson moment, tho . . .

(I watched "San Francisco" -1936- this morning).

Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 PM

9,595 posts, read 4,868,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wrote this from New York in the Mid-19th Century. Who am I?

"In the event of war with any foreign government I should desire to be brought into active service in the field with as high a rank in the regular army as I could obtain. If that could not be accomplished without leaving the Corps of Engineers, I should then desire a transfer. . . ."
Just a quess here, Robert E. Lee?????

Old 08-31-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Just a quess here, Robert E. Lee?????
Darn good guess, BassMan!!! I have always been fascinated w/ Lee's work w/ the Army Corps of Engineers. When I lived in the midwest, I enjoyed tracing his steps around the St. Louis area.

Thank you! And I appreciate everyone letting me step in on the thread . . . I enjoy reading it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History