Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 07:34 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

He's dying of cancer. Wonderful interview on Amanpour, where he talked cheerfully about how he's now eating exactly what he likes, and enjoying it.

He also talked about plans to assassinate him.

Vietnam War whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. He reflects on his life and legacy
https://www.thirteen.org/programs/am...3-2023-hi5j7s/

One-on-one with the patron saint of whistleblowers
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...cnni-world.cnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 09:56 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I am SO sorry that he has cancer, but glad that he has an upbeat attitude.

I just rewatched "The Post" starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks about the Pentagon Papers. Excellent movie.

I think that the U.S. involvement would have continued for a longer time if Ellsberg had not done what he did, so who knows how many lives his actions saved? And he definitely knew that he might be facing a long prison sentence if the Supreme Court decision had gone the other way.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:29 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
It's quite possible US involvement would have been shorter, had we been able to continue making strikes against the VC supply lines in Cambodia. The idea was to put enough pressure on them so they would come to the table and negotiate, and to protect our troops in the process. Bombing their supply lines helped keep the lead out of our boys, to borrow a line from LBJ. As it was, to get them to the table required even more bombing, in Hanoi. We were in Cambodia by invitation of the president of Cambodia (the one before Pol Pot took over), to remove enemy forces from Cambodia.

I have a low opinion of Ellsberg, he should be living out his last days in Russia alongside Edward Snowden.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:42 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I have a low opinion of Ellsberg, he should be living out his last days in Russia alongside Edward Snowden.
Ellsberg revealed classified information. He did not sell it to America's enemies or weaken our defenses. What he did was selfless and I was surprised when the breakins put the kibosh on any attempt to prosecute him. He would have been out by now, anyway.

Thus he is far different than Snowden, John Walker or Jonathan Pollard.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
It's quite possible US involvement would have been shorter, had we been able to continue making strikes against the VC supply lines in Cambodia. The idea was to put enough pressure on them so they would come to the table and negotiate, and to protect our troops in the process. Bombing their supply lines helped keep the lead out of our boys, to borrow a line from LBJ. As it was, to get them to the table required even more bombing, in Hanoi. We were in Cambodia by invitation of the president of Cambodia (the one before Pol Pot took over), to remove enemy forces from Cambodia.

Apparently, you still haven't figured out that the Vietnamese were not fighting a pro-communist war, they were fighting a war of national liberation.

"come to the table and negotiate"

Negotiate what? That's what happened in the end. If 'negotiating' the end of South Vietnam is the end goal, why bother at all? You're really so naive that you think a few more bombs would have made the North Vietnamese leave South Vietnam alone in the end?

Old 03-27-2023, 06:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Apparently, you still haven't figured out that the Vietnamese were not fighting a pro-communist war, they were fighting a war of national liberation.

"come to the table and negotiate"

Negotiate what? That's what happened in the end. If 'negotiating' the end of South Vietnam is the end goal, why bother at all? You're really so naive that you think a few more bombs would have made the North Vietnamese leave South Vietnam alone in the end?
It wasn't known in 1971, that North Vietnam would not honor an agreement, if we could get one. The first step was getting an agreement that would give us a way out, and build up ARVN so South Vietnam could defend themselves. We wanted our POW's back, we needed an agreement, it was more bombing, not less bombing, that brought them to the table, and got them to sign an agreement in 1973. Ellsberg impeded and delayed the force necessary to bring forth an agreement. As I recall, the Pentagon Papers also leaked sensitive information about fallback positions, and stuff which interfered with the SALT-1 talks that were about to take place when Ellsberg leaked the Pentagon Papers.

Ellsberg set off a chain of events that led to the president feeling he needed an investigative body to find leakers like Ellsberg and stop them. The Plumbers unit was born. Had Ellsberg not done what he did, and got Nixon's underwear all bunched up, men like Liddy and Hunt would not be hired and allowed to seduce key people in the administration, with the gemstone plans, the lies, the misleading they did, concerning how they would conduct operations, like recruiting the white house security chief to use in Watergate, ect ect. Ellsberg led us down this road and indirectly brought down a great president. I really believe without Ellsberg, the Watergate affair never happens, and history plays out for the better, all the way around.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:55 PM

34,994 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
It's quite possible US involvement would have been shorter, had we been able to continue making strikes against the VC supply lines in Cambodia. ********
Quote:
It wasn't known in 1971, that North Vietnam would not honor an agreement, if we could get one.
I think Nixon, Haldemann, Erhlichmann, Liddy, Nixon and Ellsberg were a bunch of sleazebags that deserved each other, though I didn't think so at the time. Mofford has me somewhat convinced.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:55 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
This thread is becoming political.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:08 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
He's dying of cancer. Wonderful interview on Amanpour, where he talked cheerfully about how he's now eating exactly what he likes, and enjoying it.

He also talked about plans to assassinate him.

Vietnam War whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. He reflects on his life and legacy
https://www.thirteen.org/programs/am...3-2023-hi5j7s/

One-on-one with the patron saint of whistleblowers
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...cnni-world.cnn
Guy is 91! Of course he is dying

Old 03-28-2023, 12:42 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
They'll mourn him in Hanoi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History