Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlack View Post
620,000 thousand its said to be, what about the hundreds of thousands that were maimed and died of disease, also the south had every right to secede it says so in the u.s constitution, this country has not been the same since that tyrant destroyed our country.
Not to get one of these tired arguments going, but the Constitution says no such thing. Lincoln followed the reasoning and defense that Andrew Jackson established during the Nullification Crisis. You are attempting to follow Calhoun's defense.

Remember, it is "We the People" NOT "We the States".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
620,000 thousand its said to be, what about the hundreds of thousands that were maimed and died of disease, also the south had every right to secede it says so in the u.s constitution, this country has not been the same since that tyrant destroyed our country.
The 600,000 or so includes military deaths by disease. Mained ain't killed, you said millions of deaths, that's a huge error.

There is no right to secede in the constitution. In any event it was upon that issue that the war was fought and the war settled it. Had the rebels any confidence they had a constitutional case they could have taken it the Supreme Court instead of making violent rebellion and civil war.

If you appeal your case to the sword you can't cry when the sword rules against you.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Personally one was a tyrant who sent millions to there death to kill and maim there brothers and the other was a womanizing alcoholic communist, so needless to say i like neither.
Whoa nelly. I haven't seen ignorance like this since... well, since yesterday when I read the 2008 Election threads. (I won't pile on though because it appears you're getting an education by the two nice fellows who wrote before me, and you may want to pay attention. )

Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Whoa nelly. I haven't seen ignorance like this since... well, since yesterday when I read the 2008 Election threads. (I won't pile on though because it appears you're getting an education by the two nice fellows who wrote before me, and you may want to pay attention. )
hahaha. Don't get me started about the political forum on this site. One of the reasons I stopped posting there is it was just filled with the utterly clueless that had nothing better to say then "*fill in political party* sucks". After the upteenth post about how Bush caused the world trade center to collapse or caused Hurricane Katrina to hit NO I gave up trying to have intellegent debate at that site.

This site, on the other hand, MOST of us know our history, and know it well. Have your facts straight when you post here or you will be b*tch-slapped down.

...but sometimes they trickle into this site from the political forum. millions and millions died in the civil war and now Lincoln is Hitler...ohhhhhhkayyyyyyy, yeah.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
Yes, I find that most of the contributors here are very knowledgeable... and able to engage in an intelligent debate without name calling, etc.The few trolls we have, just pop in to make absurd statements and then go to wherever trolls go after they do their "work"...I think it's best to just ignore them and not give them the satisfaction of even answering them...
Thanks to all who make this,IMHO, an enjoyable forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History