Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There was nothing better, and never will be, than that first sip through the creamy foam of a mug of A&W rootbeer from that tray that they mounted on your car window.

The little town I grew up in, pop. 6,000, had its own bottling company, Star and Crescent Beverages, and they made about 20 different flavors of pop. There was also a canning factoryu there that distributed their own branded canned veggies, Greenies, in local stores. And two store-front bakeries on Main Street, and nobody bought their bread anywhere else And a candy store that made their own candy, and and an ice cream parlor that made their own ice cream in at least 20 flavors. And three drug stores with soda fountains, where a Phosphate cost a nickel---it was a big glass of carbonated water squirted into a flavored syrup. And two dairies, who delivered milk to the front porch every morning. And an ice company that delivered ice to people who did not yet have electric fridges, and on summer days, we'd ride our bikes around looking for him so he could give us chunks of ice to suck on.

Anybody remember (back to the topic) Squirt, a tangy lemon-lime soda, not very sweet?

We went around to gas stations and got bottle caps from the pop machines, and pried the cork liner out of them with our ubiguitous pocket-knives, and put them on our shirts like badges, with the cork liner pressed back into them inside the shirt. I never went to school a day in my life without a jackknife in my pocket. My dad got a switchblade for his tackle box, and I carried that to school for about a year.

That was quite a walk down memory lane. I was going to post about A&W. A nice size frosty mug for a nickel. Used to roller skate to the one in Monrovia, Cal. (Skates with a key). I still purchase Squirt in in Atlanta at Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There was nothing better, and never will be, than that first sip through the creamy foam of a mug of A&W rootbeer from that tray that they mounted on your car window .....
The root beer that A&W sells now is not nearly as thick or foamy as the great stuff we got on those car trays. Sometimes we got it in those megaphone shaped containers.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Royal Crown Cola.....RC for short.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Any of you West Coast people remember Nesbitt's? I can recall how good and refreshing it tasted on a hot summer's day after pulling one or two from the cold
chest at Haney's Market in South Inglewood. Of course I was only 5, so anything would have tasted good.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about vintage soda pop-nesbitts_orange-soda.jpg  

Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,115 times
RC in the bottle. Weren't those 8 pack bottles heavy!?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Cheerwine is still available, but is only well known and widely distributed in NC/VA/SC...so living in Atlanta it feels nostalgic because I haven't seen it around in many years. The same with Sun Drop, another NC product with limited distribution.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Sundrop.png/250px-Sundrop.png (broken link)
Cheerwine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sun Drop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Not soda, but Fizzies was a favorite.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
We still have a A&W no car hop servise thou since the 70's. I remember buying A&W root beer in a gallon jug to watch Star Wars at the drive in on opening night.
My favorite in the mid 70's was Aspen, a Pepsi product. Carbonated apple with a bite.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Jtur88; Are you referring to the ice man and milk man who delivered milk in glass bottles in wagons pulled by horses? Man...thats my time era in the 30's and early 40's.

Jude1948; Do you recall the In and Out on the south side of Huntington Dr near 3rd St in Arcadia when they first opened up?. I went there many times in 1948 after the football games on Fri night. I first moved to Arcadia in Jan of 1948...lived in Santa Anita Villiage and later lived on Joyce Ave 1/2 block off Colorado Blvd (today the place is covered with the 210 Fwy) Time sure flys.

I started the Cherry coke craze at Henry's Drive In that year. Time sure flys. Steve

Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Jtur88; Are you referring to the ice man and milk man who delivered milk in glass bottles in wagons pulled by horses? Man...thats my time era in the 30's and early 40's.

Jude1948; Do you recall the In and Out on the south side of Huntington Dr near 3rd St in Arcadia when they first opened up?. I went there many times in 1948 after the football games on Fri night. I first moved to Arcadia in Jan of 1948...lived in Santa Anita Villiage and later lived on Joyce Ave 1/2 block off Colorado Blvd (today the place is covered with the 210 Fwy) Time sure flys.

I started the Cherry coke craze at Henry's Drive In that year. Time sure flys. Steve

Steve, you have a little time on me. I was born in 1948. Lived in Monrovia in 1959 and went to Mayflower Grade School. I do remember In and Out. Best burgers and fries and shakes. It was such a treat to go. Do you remember Siitting at Thrifty's lunch counter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History