Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times

Advertisements

I was just listening to a program on public radio's PRI's The World (http://theworld.org/taxonomy_by_date/1/20080624 - broken link) for Tuesday June 24 2008. Included was a segment on Taking a tour of Chernobyl which can be listened to or downloaded as a podcast.

This brought to mind a website GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures - Kidofspeed - Elena that I heard about on the excellent Art Bell Show on radio (now known as COAST TO COAST AM WITH GEORGE NOORY). There has been debate regarding this website and the PRI program this evening rehashed that old story.

I have always found the KiddOfSpeed website very compelling, having first heard about it during the middle of the night, listening to the radio. The site impressed upon the visitor the unnatural quiet of the place. And this radio story was heard in the surreal world of low flying F-16 aircraft patrolling overnight here in Arlington Virginia after 9/11. I live approx 3 miles from the Pentagon. The radio show aired not long after that incident. No use trying to sleep. Just get a cuppa joe and sit out on the back porch and enjoy the show (radio and planes ). Anyone else here familiar with this story?

Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I remember Elena's site very well, also the debate about it.
Even if it was fake, it was very well done, and made good points.
Here is a site which dissects her photo essay, discusses what happened to cause the Chernobyl tragedy, and discusses the area as it is today:
Chernobyl

Old 06-25-2008, 07:29 PM

650 posts, read 1,206,948 times
Our family supports a Chernobyl kids' charity that brings Belarussian children to Ireland for summers, to help them take a break away from the radiation and other problems that still plague the area. I wish I could have heard the radio programme you did!

I can sympathise about the planes: we used to live in the North (this was years ago) and had to listen to WHUP WHUP WHUP WHUP over the damn house day and night, helicopters everywhere ugh. Last week we heard a sound, couldn't make it out, asked each other what it was, checked the refrigerator, then suddenly realised and ran outside to look--an AIRPLANE! We stood and watched it go over, a treat now for being so rare. LOL

Doesn't living so close to the Pentagon scare you just a little bit?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,913 times
I was in Germany when it happened, and I remember the AFN news warned us not to let our kids play outside in the grass. At least the Americans had warned their own! Bless them all.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:17 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I was just listening to a program on public radio's PRI's The World (http://theworld.org/taxonomy_by_date/1/20080624 - broken link) for Tuesday June 24 2008. Included was a segment on Taking a tour of Chernobyl which can be listened to or downloaded as a podcast.

This brought to mind a website GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures - Kidofspeed - Elena that I heard about on the excellent Art Bell Show on radio (now known as COAST TO COAST AM WITH GEORGE NOORY). There has been debate regarding this website and the PRI program this evening rehashed that old story.

I have always found the KiddOfSpeed website very compelling, having first heard about it during the middle of the night, listening to the radio. The site impressed upon the visitor the unnatural quiet of the place. And this radio story was heard in the surreal world of low flying F-16 aircraft patrolling overnight here in Arlington Virginia after 9/11. I live approx 3 miles from the Pentagon. The radio show aired not long after that incident. No use trying to sleep. Just get a cuppa joe and sit out on the back porch and enjoy the show (radio and planes ). Anyone else here familiar with this story?

Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh yes, hard to forget Wormwood QW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History