Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times

Advertisements

Whenever I watch films like this, I am still amazed that any of it actually happened.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times
Does anyone know by chance if Lani Riefenstahl is still living.

She died about five years ago , I think. She lived a nice long life which is certainly against the way things should have gone.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 3,999,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Does anyone know by chance if Lani Riefenstahl is still living.

She died about five years ago , I think. She lived a nice long life which is certainly against the way things should have gone.
I'm curious, why should Leni Reifenstahl not have had a nice long life? Not trying to put words in your mouth but are you implying that her films and what they depict raise her to the level of a war criminal like those put on trial at Nuremberg?

Perhaps you were not aware that she spent 4 years in a detention camp at the conclusion of the war because the film content was viewed as contributing to the pro Nazi cause. Yet two separate court trials cleared her of being an active Nazi and any collaboration that could be considered a war crime.

True, many consider "Triumph of the Will" to be pure propaganda, which one can certainly make the case that it was. However, Reifenstahl denied it, stating "It reflects the truth as it was then, in 1934. It is a documentary, not propaganda". Can one honestly say that an equally strong case can't be made to support her contention?

When I look at the life and work of Leni Reifenstahl I don't see a mere propagandist for the Nazi movement as so many do. Instead I see a very complex, often contradictory woman with amazing cinematographic talent, so obsessed with creating visual masterpieces that the subject matter and it's ultimate use was immaterial to her. And given that even today both "Triumph of the Will" and "Olympia" are studied in film school as examples of the documentary in it's highest form, her accomplishments and place in the world of film simply can't be ignored.

The fact of the matter is, Leni Reifenstahl, more by accident then design, has left us a lasting record of a political and ideological movement that nearly swept the entire world into the abyss. "Triumph of the Will" should not be viewed simply as a glorification of Nazism. Rather it should be seen as a warning of what can happen to a nation when it's people blindly embrace political leaders as modern day messiahs who will lead them forward into greatness.

So whether you consider her a war criminal, Nazi sympathizer, opportunist, or misunderstood artist, I don't believe there is any denying that what she left behind stands as a lesson to us all.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 PM

61 posts, read 197,536 times
For obvious reasons, I'm completely against what the Nazi part stood for. That said, Hitler was one of the greatest leaders ever to exist. His speeches are still studied today.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,471,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 3 View Post
For obvious reasons, I'm completely against what the Nazi part stood for. That said, Hitler was one of the greatest leaders ever to exist. His speeches are still studied today.
Someones ability to passionately lie to the masses and make them obedient makes them a "great leader"?

A "great leader" is one who LEADS his people away from their mortal destruction and towards their peaceful prosperity, Hitler was personally responsible for the deaths of tens of millions, the injuries of 10 times that, and the mass rapes and conquest of an entire continent.

There is nothing "great" about a tyrant who can use violence, fear, intimidation and murder to achieve his political aims before the entire world erupts in war and the country he leads is forever changed, through violence, destruction, and military occupation, as Germany was.
Mod Cut...no name calling,please

Last edited by Thyra; 08-15-2008 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: No name calling

Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 AM

[quote=odanny;4863217]Someones ability to passionately lie to the masses and make them obedient makes them a "great leader"?

A "great leader" is one who LEADS his people away from their mortal destruction and towards their peaceful prosperity, Hitler was personally responsible for the deaths of tens of millions, the injuries of 10 times that, and the mass rapes and conquest of an entire continent.

There is nothing "great" about a tyrant who can use violence, fear, intimidation and murder to achieve his political aims before the entire world erupts in war and the country he leads is forever changed, through violence, destruction, and military occupation, as Germany was.

You defined a great "president" I said leader. A leader has the ability to inspire and drive a force of people toward a desired goal...... A leader unifies a group of individuals by highlighting their collective fears or hopes. This makes Hitler a great leader. A bad human being IMHO, but a great leader none the less.

Last edited by Thyra; 08-15-2008 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Updating

Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Someones ability to passionately lie to the masses and make them obedient makes them a "great leader"?

Mod Cut...no name calling,please
I just realized you were edited for "name calling"??!!! Seriously?? Tough guys on the internet make me laugh. You would cross the street if you had to pass me on a sidewalk, tough guy!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I just realized you were edited for "name calling"??!!! Seriously?? Tough guys on the internet make me laugh. You would cross the street if you had to pass me on a sidewalk, tough guy!
I didnt call you a name. I didnt call anyone a name. I have no idea why my message was cut short but I am sure it was not for name calling.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 PM

Then I apologize. The Mod edit told a very different story. Nothing wrong with polite disagreements.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Then I apologize. The Mod edit told a very different story. Nothing wrong with polite disagreements.
No problem, I'm not here to antagonize people with anything but the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History