U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,416,726 times

Advertisements

In 1972, Richard Nixon became the first US President to visit China as well as Russia, signing peace accords with both countries. In his second term he authorized the biggest bombing raids to take place in North Vietnam. Meanwhile, five burglars were charged with breaking into the offies of the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate complex ... Alabama governor George Wallace was shot and wounded while campaigning for president in Maryland ... Apollo 17 landed the last men on the moon ... NASA announced plans for a space shuttle ... The Goodyear blimp took its virgin flight ... American Bobby Fischer beat Russian Boris Spassky to take the World Chess Championship. "The Waltons," "M*A*S*H," and "The Bob Newhart Show" all premiered on CBS, and over at ABC, David Carridine's "Kung Fu" started airing ... "The Wonderful World of Disney," "Maude," and "Hawaii Five-O" were the popular TV shows ... At the movies, The Godfather, Deliverance, and The Poseidon Adventure were box office hits ... David Bowie released The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust ... 13-year-old Michael Jackson had his first solo hit ... Chuck Berry got his first, and only, No. 1 record with "My Ding-A-Ling." Genesis arrived in USA for their first tour.
The 15th annual GRAMMY Awards moved to Nashville for the first time, with Andy Williams as the host again. The date was March 3, 1973, and the scene was the Tennessee Theater ... Roberta Flack won Record of the Year for "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and Song of the Year as well. George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh received the GRAMMY for Album of the Year ... Harry Nilsson carried away another GRAMMY for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Male for "Without You." Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" received the award for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Female. George Carlin came on the scene with the GRAMMY for Best Comedy Performance for his album FM & AM ... America was named Best New Artist.

In 1971, protests against the Vietnam War continued. In America, 1000 anti-war veterans turned in their combat ribbons on the Capitol steps ... 1000 New York State troopers stormed Attica prison. 43 inmates and guards died in rioting there. Red China was admitted to the UN ... The last cigarette commercials appeared on radio and television ... Disney World opened in Florida ... A 6.4 earthquake hit Los Angeles, killing 64 people ... Russia landed a spacecraft on Mars ... Alan Shephard hit a golf ball on the moon ...Joe Frazier took the heavyweight championship by beating Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden ... The first World Series game was played at night as the Pirates beat the Orioles, 4 games to 3 ... Look magazine stopped publishing ...Ed Sullivan did his last television show ... "Columbo," with Peter Falk, premiered on NBC ... "All In the Family" began on CBS and immediately became one of the year's most talked-about shows ... The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, and Summer of '42 were the popular movies ... Guitarist Duane Allman, of the Allman Brothers Band, was killed in a motorcycle accident ... The Doors' Jim Morrison was found dead in his Paris apartment ... Simon and Garfunkel went their seperate ways ... The Rolling Stones' bright red "lips and tongue" logo debuted on the single, "Brown Sugar," the first one for the Rolling Stones Records label ... John Lennon's "Imagine" entered the charts ... Paul McCartney formed Wings... George Harrison & Ravi Shankar held the Concert for Bangladesh at Madison Square Garden ... Led Zeppelin released "Stairway To Heaven." The "Philly Sound" made major impact on the charts with groups like The O'Jays, Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes, The Spinners, and others ... Carol King was the first of many singer-songers to dominated the charts with "It's Too Late," and "Tapestry" Album...James Taylor, having left Apple Records was on his way with "You've Got A Friend".

Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,070,233 times
Watergate is so fascinating to me. There was a 1996 documentary narrated by Danial Shorr that I used to watch over and over. Lots of interviews with all the players, except Mitchel of course. Cant believe how many people got sucked into that mess, love to hear their story. So many factors involved in how it unraveled....could of went down alot different. Such an interesting cast of characters, E Howard Hunt, Gordon Liddy presenting the gemstone plan to Mitchel in the attorney generals office......later on Kliendinst looks the other way. Benard Barker and the cuban left-overs from the bay of pigs. Don segretti and the bag of tricks gang....

Mommy, I want some more watergate with my cookies and milk !!! I was only 7

Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,416,726 times
Watergate was one hell of a mess.I dont think Nixon should of resigned though.The VP was not any better.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,985,320 times
According to a recent article, Hillary Clinton was fired from the Watergate Committe. Her "boss" said she fired for lying, and he thought she was an unethical lawyer.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Well, if he did not resign, then he would of had about 5 more minutes in office before the senate had him impeached and removed from office. When George Wallace withdrew his support, that was the end.

Ford healed the nation from watergate, but I have to wonder what Spiro Agnew would of been able to do. He may have been just sharp enough to beat Carter in 76. But the man from Baltimore paid his 10,000 and went quietly away.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 AM

12,715 posts, read 11,601,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
When George Wallace withdrew his support, that was the end.
George Wallace was a crippled ex-governor in 1974...and he never supported Nixon anyway...are you thinking of someone else?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Wallace and the southern democrats had been opposing Nixon's impeachment until the smoking gun tape was released. At this point, Nixon was said to have called Wallace to see if he could still count on him, but he refused. Nixon turned to Haig and said "Al, I've just lost the presidentcy"

Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 PM

Do a wikipedia on Fred LaRue sometime, or read about the watergate plane crash, or about all of Nixons men. You will need plenty of pop corn as the entertainment unfolds before your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History