Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
It would be quite curious.
Banned in the US but present in every corner of the world.
Here in Spain you hardly find American or Spanish flags, but the Confederate Flag is present in Jeans, Shopping Malls, Music Festivals, Bike Events, etc.
I guess that the Confederacy enjoys a good image abroad, not associated with slavery but with a gentler and cultured society (movies).
IIRC the Confederate flag has been adapted by Malaga football fans as a way of signifying "Southern pride".

For the same reason it has been adapted by Napoli fans/supporters in Italy.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
I'm sure that someone has brought this up already, but...

When you are talking about the Confederate Flag, you're actually talking about this:

What many people believe to be the Confederate Flag was actually the battle flag of Lee's army. The Stars and Bars (above) was deemed too similar to the Union flag, the concern being that troops would rally to the wrong lines in the confusion of battle.

Its interesting to me that the battle flag became the controversial symbol while very, very few people today are able to pick the national flag of the Confederate States out of a lineup.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Its interesting to me that the battle flag became the controversial symbol while very, very few people today are able to pick the national flag of the Confederate States out of a lineup.
...Or, to be strictly accurate, very few people are able to pick ANY of the national flags of the Confederate States out of a lineup, since the government of CSA changed the official national flag three or four times between 1861 and 1865.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
I live in Washington and the battle flag isn't too rare out here. If I drive around for an hour or so I'm very likely to see one on a truck or flying at a house.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:45 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
It is just a flag. As long as the stars and stripes flies atop, unchallenged on every mast and the citizenry upholds the Constitution, then let it fly.

We deny history at our future peril.

S.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
As Voltaire said,

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
As Voltaire said,

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Of course the man had no actual intention of defending anything to the death, or even to the discomfort.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
I said it before and Now will say it gain
Over the years the "Stars and Bars" have mistakenly become known as the confederate flag , which as others here put it way better than I could is 100% wrong.
It is very unforutnate that there are those who have perverted "HER" meaning to a racists point of view.
The Battle Flag was just that A symbol of there need for freedom from what they though opression.
-------------------------------------------- Update
Now She means more than she ever did before. Please No race BS. That is not What she stood for.
She Stood for and still does
Freedom nothing more, nothing less. While the Stars and Stripes will always be the meaning of LIBERETY, she has a Sister The Stars and Bars that will fight for freedom and the Honor of Liberty.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Freedom nothing more, nothing less. While the Stars and Stripes will always be the meaning of LIBERETY, she has a Sister The Stars and Bars that will fight for freedom and the Honor of Liberty.
It's not 'race BS' to point out that the flags of the Confederacy didn't stand for freedom at all if one was a black slave in the South. Or one of the northern free blacks kidnapped in Pennsylvania and sent south as 'captured contrabands' by roving Rebel cavalrymen. That's just the historical truth. We can like or dislike it, but it is.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
The Battle Flag was just that A symbol of there need for freedom from what they though opression................ Please No race BS.
Losing an election in a democratic society is hardly opression. Were that so this nation would have a rebellion and civil war every four years.

Of course you don't want any "race BS". It gets in the way of your pathetic need to view the rebellion as something other than the attempt to protect slavery that it was. You twist the truth like a low rent Goebbels though without Goebbels' intelligence and skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History