Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Yeah, two completely different representations. I'm not arguing for or against because frankly I don't care, but your logic is ill-conceived because the British flag doesn't represent solely British imperialism and colonialism. It represents monarchism, freedom, people's rights, nationalism, etc, etc -- in contrast, the Confederate Flag solely represents ill-conceived notions and hateful ideology.

But as a previous poster stated, I agree, he can fly it as much as he wants -- but it gives us the freedom to recognize and giggle at the uneducated, hilariously ignorant billies who choose to fly it. Not sure I'd be so proud of being 'that guy.'
To assume that every person who flies the Confederate Battle Flag is an "ignorant billie" is quite possibly the most "ignorant" thing i've seen posted here. But what do i know? I'm too ignorant to realize that there are two sides to every issue. Have a nice day though!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
What does this symbol mean to you?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:17 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Talking what is your sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
What does this symbol mean to you?
The Hindu swastika was copied and used as an official emblem of the Nazi Party. The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.

During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
This should help with any further questions on the swastika
Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BTW... I think the topic of this thread is the Confederate Flag...not the Swastika

Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
"So called "wages slaves" were free to come and go as they pleased, they weren't PROPERTY. Interesting that you touch on this because I think slavery is the reason so many southerners have a contempt for physical work and those that do it."

Seriously this statement alone is so insulting to the hard working Southerners. Can you make a point without throwing inaccurate degrading stereotypes around. It really negates any valid points you might have made.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:07 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
The Hindu swastika was copied and used as an official emblem of the Nazi Party. The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.

During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division.
I wonder how many would fly the symbol on a flag outside their house. I mean.. it obviously doesn't mean racism right? I mean it has a long storied history as you put.

Anyone can say what they like.. the Swastika is now viewed as a racist symbol. Is it fair? No... but thems da facts.

Same for the confederate flag.. just not on the same scale.

I equate confederate flag with racist....

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
I equate the confederate flag with someone who is proud they are from the south..thats it..

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I wonder how many would fly the symbol on a flag outside their house. I mean.. it obviously doesn't mean racism right? I mean it has a long storied history as you put.

Anyone can say what they like.. the Swastika is now viewed as a racist symbol. Is it fair? No... but thems da facts.

Same for the confederate flag.. just not on the same scale.

I equate confederate flag with racist....
When talking about this country however there's a notable difference. Now all arguments aside, MOST who would fly a Confederate Flag in front of their house are not trying to say, "Hi!!!! I hate black people!!!". It's a symbol of southern pride to them in the backdrop of a country that is still regionally "different" in many ways as I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone....

Now can anyone else give me a valid reason for someone in America to be flying a Nazi flag??? (Notice I didn't say Swastika....).

The problem comes with what the KKK has done with the Confederate Flag and how they have twisted it to THEIR meaning and THEIR cause and that is really the problem..... As I've said in NUMEROUS threads before this; You can fly the first Confederate Flag with near impugnity. No one will bother you about it...... But to those who are horrified by the Confederate Battle Flag it SHOULD have the EXACT same meaning, yet it doesn't raise the same ire...... Why is that ya think???

The answer is obvious to me.... One flag has been used by hate groups, the other hasn't. I don't think the Confederacy has anything to do with the true reason people are offended by the battle flag anymore.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quite right! If someone wants to celebrate his Southern heritage by displaying something that to him symbolizes all that is good and right in his world, then who are we to tell him that he can't do so. In fact, if he decides to move to a state that isn't in the South, he still has his right of displaying his symbol of pride on his vehicle, in his front window, or on a flagpole in his front yard.

That's his right to free speech.

Just like if I were to move to the South and display a symbol of Northern pride where all could see it each and every day, then absolutely no one should have any problem with that.

http://www.seraphicpress.com/images/general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Talking wave on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
You can fly the first Confederate Flag with near impugnity. No one will bother you about it......
That be The Bonny Blue!

http://civilwar.bluegrass.net/FlagsUniformsAndInsignia/bonnieblueflag.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History