Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
:
Personally I'd rather ride the back of a bus (why is that a big deal??) than get shot at, but maybe I'm crazy. I'd rather my kids working at a real job than selling drugs on the street too.
Are you joking?

The number of racists and sexist comments coming up in City-Data is really starting to disturb me.

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post

Americans were just as happy in the 50s as they are today. Life was actually better for blacks before the Civil Rights movement... crime was lower and happiness levels were higher. What would Russians be doing in the USA? Gays didn't have AIDS to worry about. Young women tended to *get* married which negated that 'pregnant and umarried' concern. People were allowed to live their lives. Women in general are no happier now than they were in the 50s... in recent decades they actually became *less* happy. Just read about positive psychology and happiness studies... there has been scientific research documenting how happy different groups of Americans have been since the 50s if not earlier.

A lot of revisionists try to paint the past decades as being backwards, where everyone was ohh so oppressed and lived in mass suffering. They really don't get the difference between large scale social issues and the lives of individual people. All these petty symbolic aspects of "freedom" that some people value so much to say the 50s sucked are so overrated. People were just as happy if not happier back then because life had more stability, and they had more social connection, were more religious, gave to charity more, had stable families, etc etc.. Humans were never ment to have excess choices in life like we have today - there are a lot of good aspects to the choices available - but really people are no happier or satisfied with life now - so obviously it's not as good as some people think. And I say this as a left wing Athiest.

Personally I'd rather ride the back of a bus (why is that a big deal??) than get shot at, but maybe I'm crazy. I'd rather my kids working at a real job than selling drugs on the street too.
::Yawn::
Complete and utter troll.
You lost me after your second sentence.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
::Yawn::
Complete and utter troll.
You lost me after your second sentence.
I agree. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM

261 posts, read 954,539 times
I would have lived just before the Civil War. Most of my ancestors came to America during the early 1730's and again in the 1840's. I would have loved to learn about my family and what they did to survive from day to day. Writing my book would have been a lot easier and written about 20 years ago!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
The best is the time that I've been here. I feel that I've been Blessed during my lifetime and am thankful for all that's been given to me. So far, it's been a great ride.
The Dark Ages, from all I've read, must have seemed like hell on earth. Mercifully lives were very short during that time.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,613 times
I'd say 1945-late 1960s

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
for many, the great depression was very bleak and a very hard time.

My father spoke about it often.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
100 years ago before mass production, franchises, and rap.

Back when the world had some integrity and things were sentimental. There is no charm in franchises or mass produced products, which makes up todays world 100%

Before rap!! Good one! I could not agree more. I agree with several things people have said above, about the 50s being a pretty good time to be around, but you hit it right on the head with the rap comment. I dont care what ANYONE says, the whole sub culture of rap brings down the quality of life all around, including for anyone who doesnt even listen to it. Just its existence is pretty bad alone.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapex7066 View Post
Before rap!! Good one! I could not agree more. I agree with several things people have said above, about the 50s being a pretty good time to be around, but you hit it right on the head with the rap comment. I dont care what ANYONE says, the whole sub culture of rap brings down the quality of life all around, including for anyone who doesnt even listen to it. Just its existence is pretty bad alone.
I don't agree at all. I'm 45 and I see a lot of creativity in hip-hop culture, plus a lot of educational and positive things. Sure, a lot of it is about drugs and guns and sex, with vulgar language and racial slurs. There's been plenty of all three in Irish folk music, too. Tuning out rap simply tunes out the message of what's actually happening, and makes it easier to ignore. Like it or not, rap is what a segment of our country is thinking and feeling, just as the music of youth has been ever since the ability to record and publish music gave youth a voice.

As for the historical time to live in, every period I look at contains a lot of negatives that I think I'd have as much trouble dealing with as I do those of my day, so I wouldn't change. Now if asked what historical events I wish I could have witnessed, there I could name dozens.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 PM

18 posts, read 50,406 times
How about Germany during the 30 years war. goodtimes. killed off a third of the population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History