Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
It's difficult to respond to some of these posts, without knowing the age of the poster, and whether they actually lived through the period. By some of the statements, it seems as though some are younger folks repeating the revisionist history of what they've read in Rolling Stone Magazine.
We probably should limit participation on threads on the History forum to only people who've lived through the era being discussed. Though it might be tough to find people who rememember the Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Oh? No historians allowed to post in history? Only people who've lived through the periods in question?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh? No historians allowed to post in history? Only people who've lived through the periods in question?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Yes, discussion in World War I threads will henceforth only be allowed by the few random hundred-year-olds still alive and posting on CityData.

Otherwise we will just get a bunch of young whipper snappers regurgitating the history they read in Rolling Stone magazine's "Rockin' World War I Special Edition - Featuring the Top 500 Battles"...

Last edited by Deezus; 05-17-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yes, discussion in World War I threads from henceforth will only be allowed by the few random hundred year olds still alive and posting on CityData. Otherwise we will just get a bunch of young whipper snappers regurgitating the history they read in Rolling Stone magazine's "Rockin' World War I Special Edition - Featuring the Top 500 Battles"...
Where do we show our ID to prove we're qualified to post on a given thread? Is it electronic?

And why do I get the feeling that only people who disagree with a certain poster's opinions are the ones who need to provide proof of age-qualification?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 PM

347 posts, read 314,848 times
I am of course as old as Methusaleh, even older. So qualified to discuss anything.

I wish to discuss high fashion in Ancient Rome. Did allowing Knights to stand as Senators bring in an era of toga sloppiness?

Cicero shall present the first argument...

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybligh View Post
I am of course as old as Methusaleh, even older. So qualified to discuss anything.

I wish to discuss high fashion in Ancient Rome. Did allowing Knights to stand as Senators bring in an era of toga sloppiness?

Cicero shall present the first argument...
Is this the setup for a Mel Brooks/Carl Reiner 2000 Year Old Man joke routine?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Cicero, your opening statement is lacking a bit of the usual flair. Are you ok today? Did you water down your wine to much? Perhaps Cato should substitute for your side?

(I dunno, I'm just riffing some, see what comes of it.)

Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Aren't togas kind of naturally sloppy? Don't they sort of sag and billow around?

I don't know how anyone could think the Beatles were sloppy. So many of their photos show them wearing suits and ties, even in the recording room sometimes, and then there were those Nehru suits and collarless suits. Very spiffy. I think to the contrary, they were fashion trend-setters in the best sense. They had the money to buy the best.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Yes, and togas had to be wrapped just so.

Me either on the point about the Beatles. Unless ones idea of sloppy is a man with hair over his ears or something.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Having been only 2 years old when the Beatles invaded I may not be qualified to comment but some questions come to mind:

Was the era of sloppiness brought on by certain individuals or was it the inevitable result of postwar prosperity? I assume the biggest reason people dressed well in public the '30s was to show that they were not destitute, but by the end of the '60s nobody cared about that.

Will the era of sloppiness ever end? Why hasn't there been a backlash against it yet? Is dressing well now so strongly connected with being gay that straight men take refuge in sloppiness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History