Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Ithnik what we see of a past genration is a cleanesed view and we do not really knpow the feel of that time.I know how its popular to look at the 50's as the ideal times in america but i doubt epople realise the struggle and why.Lookigat the 50 is looking at a generation who wnet thru depression and WWII. Sure the struggles of the 50;s wree even then looked at as goodtimes.But compared to life now it was a much more difficlt struggle to survive and people were much more prepared to deal with it.As mentioned the Feel is everything.Without feeling it ;its like watching a WWII movie.
Yup.
And it's not usually until you are older that you can really grasp that concept, and then a little older still until you can feel that concept.
It's like in my teens, I thought Hogan's Heroes was hilarious. My folks, not at all. It wasn't until mom said she didn't like it that made me think and understand why.
It wasn't until they started making movies about the Vietnam War that I could feel what my folks felt about Hogan's Heroes.
Often age, experience and attendant wisdom brings perspective.

Any time when people start looking at any past decade and saying "Oh, what an innocent time..." Baloney. Every decade has had it's struggles, it's fears, real and imagined, it's good and bad. There is nothing new under the sun.

Fortunately in our time and society, for most of us, childhood is a very sheltered time in which we are shielded from many of the concerns and fears and it can give us a skewed view of a particular time.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
There are so many people out there who are experts on a certain decade and were never alive at that point. There are historians who are experts on certain eras that no one alive now can claim that they've lived in! If you really wanted to know about the 90s, 80s, 70s and so on, well there are tons of information out there. Look up events on the internet or popular toys or something. Check out the popular songs of the decades, and most importantly, ask people who have lived in those decades! It doesn't mean that you can't ever know what times were like. It's just that it would be a bit difficult to relate...maybe? For instance, someone can say that a certain toy was the best in the 60s when they were a child and you can agree from what you've researched and maybe you've even seen it in person, it's just might be a little difficult to connect since you never got the feel of that era.

Other than that, people are going to assume you don't know anything about it because you never lived in it or were so young, but that doesn't mean that you can't ever know anything about it.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Each one of us lives at the center of our own universe. It's very hard to understand another's... or even have the desire to do so. Writing in a daily journal, brings us closer to capturing a few of our everyday moments...hopefully to be read by unknown others.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,017 times
I was born in '82. The first president I can remember recognizing was Bush (41). I do remember some things in the 80's like the tv shows I watched, but I do not remember any of the music or any real world events outside of playing Duck Hunt and Mario in my bedroom.

The first Iraq war and the internet are the first big things that I can remember. Good ol' dial up AOL. We've come a long way in about 15 years.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
A child's view or experience of a decade is going to be very different from an adults or even a teens view/experience of it. It's not that people think you know nothing about it, they're just aware that your perspective will be very different so when it comes to adult or teen matters of that decade, your memory will be very limited.
Exactly. For a child, the '90s were Power Rangers and POGS. For teens and adults, they were the technology boom, the Clinton scandals, Columbine, the OKC bombing, etc, etc, etc. Being born in 1985 I remember the second half of the 90s in a more clear perspective, but the first half I was oblivious to what was happening outside of my little world of Saturday morning cartoons and Super Nintendo. In my opinion, if you weren't at least 12 when the new millennium rolled in, you can't claim the 90s as your decade as your culture and mindset is far more influenced by the 2000s decade.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
It's a bit different for Gen Yers though. My impressionable era was not the age of emo kids and the Iraq War, which is when I was high school age (2004-2008). I "grew up" with boy bands, waiting for the year 2000, and early 90s Disney movies.
Some people have more of a connection with their childhood than they do their teenage years, which you may fall into that category. These are the people that generally aren't real hip/popular in high school and could give a flip about the latest trends. However I will say that most people born in 1990 are far more influenced by 2000s culture (emo kids and the Iraq war). This reminds me of some emo kid I saw on Youtube one time who was going on about how he grew up in the 90s and they were so great but he was probably born in 1994 at the earliest and knew absolutely nothing about the 90s except vague pop culture references.

Last edited by bchris02; 02-27-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,767 times
There is an ongoing dispute over the nature of reality and how one understands it. Many argue the only way you can understand reality is to directly experience it. Thus you can only understand wages if you are a manager involved in paying workers. Others argue that one can read the accounts of others and raw data and understand reality this way.

Its a discussion germane to the question in this this thread I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History