Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
'Marie Antoinette' was a complete travesty

But it looked great. I think it's worth watching just for the visuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
But it looked great. I think it's worth watching just for the visuals.
I agree that it's stunning eyecandy. But as far as historical accuracy-meh.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM

294 posts, read 698,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Honorable mentions... Zulu, Zulu Dawn.

Zulu IMHO was the greatest war film ever made everything you saw in the film is what really happend.

Zulu Dawn was also historical but it had it's fair share of fantasy.
Melville and coghill riding together to save the Queens colours..they did not leave together. the Union flag flying when Melville escaped.....the flag was in a case.

Vereker shooting the union flag out of the hands of the Zulus at the end of the film...Vereker died in the last stand at isandlwana

Old 06-20-2009, 01:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
Zulu IMHO was the greatest war film ever made everything you saw in the film is what really happend.

Zulu Dawn was also historical but it had it's fair share of fantasy.
Melville and coghill riding together to save the Queens colours..they did not leave together. the Union flag flying when Melville escaped.....the flag was in a case.

Vereker shooting the union flag out of the hands of the Zulus at the end of the film...Vereker died in the last stand at isandlwana
You are mistaken, "Zulu" had some invented scenes as well. In the film the Zulus return to give the Brits a cheer for fighting so bravely and nothing like that happened in reality. They also portrayed Private Henry Hook as the regimental foul up who redeems himself with his defense of the hospital building. The real Hook did indeed provide heroics in the hospital, but he wasn't the bad attitude shirker the film suggested.

The film has Bromhead yielding command to Chard because Chard's commission is three months older than Bromhead's. In fact, Chard was a couple of years senior.

The scenes with Jack Hawkins as the missionary are also fabrications for the film.

Both films are excellent history with some dramatic alterations involved.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:14 PM

And Colour Sgt. Bourne, played as a mature and imposing man by Nigel Greene, was actually a young man, early 20s as I recall.

And the layout of the mission and the terrain is all wrong. The mealy bag wall that suffered the heaviest assaults was built along a stone ledge and the defenders had the advantage of height which came in handy during the melees at the wall.

And the Zulu shooters on the hill were armed with old trade muskets and such not Martini Henrys from the Brits killed at Isandlwana (sp?).

There's a thriving little industry in Zulu War books.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The scenes with Jack Hawkins as the missionary are also fabrications for the film.

The witt's were Swedish missionaries their base was Rorkes drift. jack hawkins played the part of otto witt.
He was told to leave for his own safety ..granted, his wife left first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And the Zulu shooters on the hill were armed with old trade muskets and such not Martini Henrys from the Brits killed at Isandlwana (sp?).
Tom.
Granted, the impi that attacked Rorkes drift sat with their backs turned at the battle of isandlwana(the reason, so the impi would not get excited during the battle)

Now, during the British retreat( British soldiers were found almost 5 miles from lsandlwana on the buffalo river) king Cetshwayo orderd his impi not to cross the buffalo river and enter British territory. his half brother Mpande disobeyed them orders and crossed the river and attacked Rorke's drift. as he was crossing he met some of the impi that had killed British soldiers on the banks of the buffalo river. they had obeyed Cetshwayo ordrers and not crossed, they passed over some Martini henry guns they got from the dead british soldiers..but not much Ammo.
We all know the myth of why the British got wiped out.....lack of Ammo, which is not true.

Last edited by Trotter67; 06-20-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Default Mpande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
Now, during the British retreat( British soldiers were found almost 5 miles from lsandlwana on the buffalo river) king Cetshwayo orderd his impi not to cross the buffalo river and enter British territory. his half brother Mpande disobeyed them orders and crossed the river and attacked Rorke's drift.
Mpande was half brother to Shaka and Dingane,both of whom ruled before him,and was king from 1840 until his death in 1872.Unless perhaps Cetshwayo had a half brother induna with the same name,Mpande had been long dead at the time of the January 1879 battle.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Mpande was half brother to Shaka and Dingane,both of whom ruled before him,and was king from 1840 until his death in 1872.Unless perhaps Cetshwayo had a half brother induna with the same name,Mpande had been long dead at the time of the January 1879 battle.
Sorry...my mistake ...ka means son of
when i meant mpande i meant Dabulamanzi...noway could i spell that off the top of my head.

Dabulamanzi kaMpande - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
If I could, I would force the director of 300 to eat a whole volume of Herodotus. In hardcover. Dry. And then I would throw him into a pit and tell him to go find me some earth and water.

Bad: 300

Very bad: 300 when nothing else remotely promising is on the airplane movies

Ultimate bad: watching 300 on the way back from Greece itself

Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If I could, I would force the director of 300 to eat a whole volume of Herodotus. In hardcover. Dry. And then I would throw him into a pit and tell him to go find me some earth and water.

Bad: 300

Very bad: 300 when nothing else remotely promising is on the airplane movies

Ultimate bad: watching 300 on the way back from Greece itself

The picture was aimed at teen aged fanboys who play violent video games and have homoerotic S&M fantasies. Of whom there seem to be millions.

Real Spartans with their dreadlocks, Amish farmer beards and cuirasses just wouldn't have fit the fantasy.

The 1960s picture The 300 Spartans does a pretty good job though, even shows some sympathy for Xerxes, like when Demaratus spoils his meal with his boasting. And ya gotta love Ralph Richardson as Themistocles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History