Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Irishtom

Quote:
But the thing is, Ford was interested in myth and legend, not strict history (which he knew by the way, he devoured history books and cinematographer Bill Clothier said Ford knew more about the Civil War than any man he'd met); putting in military academy thing made it a much richer picture and gave Ford the opprotunity to show the sacrifices the rebels were prepared to make and brings forth great emotion (and even turns the trick for a little humor too); can you forget Anna Lee's plaintive cry of "Johhny" as her last son sneaks out the window and off to what (he thinks is) the adventure of war?

I certainly agree that it was good filmmaking. Ford had a weakness for letting some corny stuff make the final cut, but you could always count on excellent and imaginative cinematography, as in the scene you reference above. The first we learn of the kid's escape is when we see his drum come dropping out the window and rolling away.

You mentioned Sgt. Rutledge, so I'm guessing that you were a closet Constance Towers fan. Those two films pretty much were her career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You mentioned Sgt. Rutledge, so I'm guessing that you were a closet Constance Towers fan. Those two films pretty much were her career.

She also made a picture for Sam Fuller, The Naked Kiss. The scene where she brains a guy with a telephone handset is kind'a famous, with movie nuts anyway.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Recently I would have to say Valkarie was really accurate, memphis belle was not accurate

Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
She also made a picture for Sam Fuller, The Naked Kiss. The scene where she brains a guy with a telephone handset is kind'a famous, with movie nuts anyway.
Otherwise most of her career was on TV. She semi-retired after marrying John Gavin.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times
I liked Gettysburg. True all those beards & wool uniforms in July, made me hot just watchin! If the real participants were filmed, they would have probably mumbled a lot and looked far worse! Real life is hard to watch... we want to escape real life... and watch a movie!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
This is probably not going to make a lot of sense to some people, but it occurred to me the other day that "Gone With the Wind," in SOME respects, is probably one of the most accurate depictions of the Civil War on film, at least as it concerns civilian life in the cities of the South.

The way that slavery was depicted, of course, is grossly glossed-over, but an awful lot about the movie rings true during the scenes where Scarlet and her Atlanta friends are keeping the home fires burning, nursing soldiers, finding out about their relatives killed in action, etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
This is probably not going to make a lot of sense to some people, but it occurred to me the other day that "Gone With the Wind," in SOME respects, is probably one of the most accurate depictions of the Civil War on film, at least as it concerns civilian life in the cities of the South.

The way that slavery was depicted, of course, is grossly glossed-over, but an awful lot about the movie rings true during the scenes where Scarlet and her Atlanta friends are keeping the home fires burning, nursing soldiers, finding out about their relatives killed in action, etc.
..It also explained alot of things that came directly out of the war...like the KKK..not to say it was right, but understandable...at least in the book

Old 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
Yeah, I forgot about the KKK stuff. A lot about Reconstruction has been forgotten or passed over when people are thinking about the Civil War. You do have to work hard to ignore the movie's subtle attitude toward "them uppity n----s" during Reconstruction but at least you get the whole panorama of what happened before, during and after the war - from the white Georgian point of view at least.

I don't even know if they teach kids in school today anything about the Civil War era other than "started in 1861, then there was Gettysburg, then Lincoln was assassinated, the end."

Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
John Ford had a remarkable ability to make both sides in his movies "Good Guys". For instance at the end of "Horse Soldiers" while John Wayne is leading his band of hero's over the bridge to safety, The Confederate Officer rides up to Holden Character and asks if he could use the help of his regimental surgeon for the Yank Wounded.........

Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Well now here's something interesting fellas...

Wonder if we'll ever get the full 5 hour release on a DVD ???

Wonder if Grandstander and Irishtom would care to watch it if they did?

Definately interested in the Antietam scenes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History