Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
The Spanish are from Europe but little is Said about them being Wht or European. But it doesnt stop people from Labeling them together with all Latinos Including Mexicans. el pintada kid
When I was young the term Spanish was used for most Hispanics, Then the term Mexican was preferred then Latinos or Hispanic. It is evolving as what is the preferred term and where you live makes a big difference too.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:55 PM

464 posts, read 1,156,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I forgot to mention that I'm a Mic (Irish) descent partnered with a Kraut (German).
OMG, I just called myself an offensive name and I laugh about it. See how easy it is to laugh about it??? Who cares about a label?
LOL, I tried to rep you for this post but....gotta still spread the luv

I've got a bit of '****' in me too, way back there somewhere Oh my!
Come to think back, one of my *Italian* gal-friends, named her dog- '****' LOL She Loved the dog
They were Italian- Irish and still spoke Italian at home alot. The term didn't bother them.

I'm mostly Scot and Irish, 3rd generation Irish. The Scot much further back.
I remember stories, about places like NYC, Boston, etc, the days where there were Signs posted: No Irish. No Irish need apply, No room for Irish. Perfectly legal.

Some things move faster to get 'behind' us, others take more and longer time......

Tia Dalma

Holy Moly! You want to know what's determined a "bad" word on CD even yet? That word up there that's Bleeped is D-a-g-o. *I* didn't do it for effect!
Whoda thought it? I didn't grow up thinking it was 'bad' still Guess it is. Point made?
Guess that answers a few questions. THAT word is a term some think is Bad even yet, to some. So there ya go. Maybe I'd better not use it. Sorry! Live and learn. I'm suprised.

TD

Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Yep, exactly sinw. I've never thought of the term Anglo as an insult. It's descriptive.
It's descriptive only if you are of Anglo or Anglo-Saxon ethncity. Otherwise it is as much an insult as it is to a Korean being labeled as "Chinese" -- whether or not the user meant it as an insult or not.

It's always wrong to invent other names for people -- why not refer to Italians as just that? Polish as Polish? Whenever someone starts inventing cute little labels for any group, it's usually an insult of some kind.

In Latin American countries the proper term for someone from the USA is "Estadounidense". That's simple enough, it means citizen of the USA and is not a slur word at all.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
LOL, my late husbands sister was married to an Italian. The terms w-o-p and d-a-g-o were okay to use. The term ginney(sp) was a no no but we used it anyway within the family to mess with each other.
My family is of Irish descent with a few more things mixed in and you know the flack the Irish get on drinking, drunkeness, etc. There's a tshirt out now with 3 Irish people doing yoga poses in there drunken state of mind. It's hilarious.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM

I think we have the names for certain groups because it shows where we came from.
In Cleveland, (Ohio) it was the normal thing to do
so maybe it does depend on where people live.
As far as certain groups being labeled Chinese or Mexican, some don't want to be labeled that way even though that's what they are.
Mexicans in Texas don't want to be called Mexicans. I don't know why they're ashamed of there heritage. Nothing to be ashamed about no matter what ethnic group one is from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's descriptive only if you are of Anglo or Anglo-Saxon ethncity. Otherwise it is as much an insult as it is to a Korean being labeled as "Chinese" -- whether or not the user meant it as an insult or not.

It's always wrong to invent other names for people -- why not refer to Italians as just that? Polish as Polish? Whenever someone starts inventing cute little labels for any group, it's usually an insult of some kind.

In Latin American countries the proper term for someone from the USA is "Estadounidense". That's simple enough, it means citizen of the USA and is not a slur word at all.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
I think we have the names for certain groups because it shows where we came from.
In Cleveland, (Ohio) it was the normal thing to do
so maybe it does depend on where people live.
As far as certain groups being labeled Chinese or Mexican, some don't want to be labeled that way even though that's what they are.
Mexicans in Texas don't want to be called Mexicans. I don't know why they're ashamed of there heritage. Nothing to be ashamed about no matter what ethnic group one is from.
I have never met a Mexican in Texas that minded being called a Mexican. I think some who are not Mexican do mind being called that. Like one woman I know whose family was from New Mexico when someone from another state asked her if she spoke Spanish at home. She was quite angry because she felt the question implied she was from Mexico and like she said "I was born in the USA, my parents were born in the USA, my grandparents were born in the USA", and added that as far as she knows her family lived in New Mexico always and never came from Mexico and WHEN can they be called American like everyone else. She spoke almost no Spanish, nor did her family.

Another New Mexican woman I know was elderly and spoke Spanish very little English but her heritage was New Mexican Indian. She took great pride in the fact that she never in her whole life stepped foot into Mexico and did not view herself as a Mexican. Another guy from New Mexico, also of Indian-Spanish heritage said he had nothing against Mexicans but he simply is not one. He said call him American or call him a New Mexican if you have to call him something else but he never traveled to Mexico, his family didn't come from there. He said as far as he knows they were always Indians of the Gila region and intermarried a very long time ago with some Spaniards.

But I've never met anyone from Mexico who is ashamed to be called a Mexican. Why would they be?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM

I haven't met anyone in NM but like I said in my previous post, the people in Texas (Central Texas to be exact) have a problem with it. They prefer to be called Hispanics or Latinos.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 PM

108 posts, read 378,555 times
I started out with the intent of explaining some of the terms and found this:

Are Chicanos the same as Mexicans? (http://azteca.net/aztec/chicano.html - broken link)

I wanted to cut and paste, but am unsure of this forums' protocol.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,399 times
Synchro..thanks for the link, tho my head is literally spinning! lol

I have to agree with Malamute on this subject. I think it's wrong to invent names for people, and I get vary wary at the ease in which people can sort and categorize people! Our country is so full of complex and diverse people, I know my own "racial" identity can't be categorized so easily. What's wrong with being an American?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I'm a Mic (Irish) descent partnered with a Kraut (German).
OMG, I just called myself an offensive name and I laugh about it. See how easy it is to laugh about it??? Who cares about a label?
Well, here goes I am a (deep breath) WASP-w.o.p-kraut-mick-(insert insulting name for welsh person here)-(insert insulting name for Dutch person here)- Guera. (had to look that one up for the proper spelling) -American.

I guess that makes me an Anglo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.