Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM

106 posts, read 433,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Lived here for thirty years and never knew it was an insult. Thanks for letting me know easterners.

I have been using the term Anglo without insult or injury for ever. How about WASP. White Anglo Saxon Protestant. Lets throw some idiotic religious twist into this useless thread.

Call me Cracker, Anglo, Whitie, or American - I am proud. Has never been an insult. As a matter of fact after my S. Florida nightmare, I prefer ANGLO!

But refer to me as Norweigen/Welsh/French/Austrian, etc. and I will be insulted after 6th generations of American heritage and several wars under the red white and blue in our lineage.

Peace On....somebody close this please.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 AM

426 posts, read 1,087,026 times
My husband is a white guy from Canada. Because he doesn't speak Spanish, and has no Spanish ancestry, he does not want to be called "gringo", "gavacho" or "huero". He finds them a little offensive because every time he's been called one of those three labels, it's usually with the word "pinche" preceding it. He doesn't like to be called Anglo either because the French Canadians use it as a derogatory term.

I myself am too dark to be "Anglo". If I get mistaken for a Mexican I don't really get upset over it. What irks me is the very fact that because of my skin color, I'm thought of as Mexican. As if someone my color couldn't possibly be born outside of Mexico. Another thing is I've been thought of as not knowing how to speak English. Ultimately, I don't want to be called Mexican because I was born in the United States. Simple as that.

I guess whether or not those terms are offensive depends heavily on how they're said. Or it depends on the individual on the receiving end.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,933 times
This is all such ridiculous rubbish. Mankind will always find some pretext to demean, insult, denigrate, belittle and disenfranchise its members. One of our many ironic traits. Comes from being a primate with all the baggage that comes with it. Deny all you want, thump them bibles, protest to the heavens and claim humanity will rise above its covetous temptations...but we seem to enjoy RANKING one another in various ways and racial/cultural/ethnic ranking/designating is just another of many such manifestations; all very trog stuff Get over it??? Not likely any time soon I'm afraid!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
dracul: You are absolutely right. But it all depends on the the intent with which a word is delivered and how it is received. The word 'gringo' is a mildly insulting word as far as I know, but it's not seriously demeaning. That's just my general opinion. As we have seen in the last several years, the "N-word" can mean anything from a deadly insult to just a colloquialism, depending upon who says it, how it is said and who hears it (and the hearer's relationship with the speaker). Language is a delicate subject, especially to those who are looking for something to get bent out of shape about.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:05 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,933 times
Equally valid points my friend. exactly why I've occasionally brought in my own experiences with Hawaiian colloquilisms...such as the word "haole"...which generally has a very negative intent. Relatedly, islanders refer to those of African American (or African/anything!) ancestry as "popolo's"; a reference deriving from a dark, purplish island berry. The term Popolo carries much less resentment and bitterness for the islanders as "black" people have done no significant harm in Hawai'i and have not displaced them. At least that is the general perception.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,338 times
Half my heritage is Croatian, the other half Hungarian, Lithuanian. I went into a pawn shop in Clovis and made a purchase. At the checkout they ask a lot of personal info on you for their records, in case of theft or fencing of stolen goods.
When it came time to type in my race in the computer, the female Hispanic cashier looked at me sideways, squinted and said, white? Even with a tan I said yes. She took me for Hispanic! I wasn't offended at all, but with a brown hair buzz cut and brown eyes I guess I did pass as one.

Last edited by newmex; 12-04-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
dracul: You are absolutely right. But it all depends on the the intent with which a word is delivered and how it is received. The word 'gringo' is a mildly insulting word as far as I know, but it's not seriously demeaning. That's just my general opinion. As we have seen in the last several years, the "N-word" can mean anything from a deadly insult to just a colloquialism, depending upon who says it, how it is said and who hears it (and the hearer's relationship with the speaker). Language is a delicate subject, especially to those who are looking for something to get bent out of shape about.
It's not so much about getting bent out of shape. A black American who is called the "n" word in my opinion has every right to get bent out of shape.

But then some people very much like labels. I'm not sure why. Maybe they like being categorized as something, they feel a part of some group that way. It's like calling someone a "yuppie" or "socialite", or "redneck". Some will resent being pigeonholed that way, thrown in some group for surface appearance but then there are those who will be proud to given a label as they themselves like the idea of labeling people for surface appearances.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
He Draccie, how many times have you met these beautiful Green or Blue eyed blonde women and asked them if they are Cherokee and over half will tell you they are. Anglo Indian is the only term i can think of using for them since they mingled with the Anglo more then any other tribe and they suffered the same consequences as the Southwest Indians maybe not as Cruel. But today the Cherokee in their Hidden Status as Indians since they look more wht then wht are doing very well. >>> Another Pintada Original that youre not gonna like. el pintada kid
yes we did, suffer a lot. i am Cherokee. we come in all different colors,however i am not blond and not all these blue eyed girls are really Cherokee, many as of lately think its cool to be Native.
we are not all mostly white. Also i dont know what you mean about hidden status, we are not hidden by any means.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
malamute: I agree completely concerning the 'N-word'. I would never use it. But it seems that in a certain demographic, it's considered OK for black people to call one another that, probably as a way of co-opting the word. As an older (Anglo) guy who heard it back in the bad old days as a hateful and demeaning expression, and still hear it occasionally among ignorant people, it's hard for me to reconcile that.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 AM

265 posts, read 873,738 times
In checking out the general southern New Mexico area, it looks like the only areas where white non-hispanic people are in the majority are the general Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, and Ruidoso areas. Just wondered if I am correct and if there are others. Also, does anyone have the history of how this came about?? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History