U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 AM

45 posts, read 171,152 times
History makes you seem both smart and sometimes arrogant at the dinner table. I have to admit as a kid what spurred my interest (or even understanding) of history was WWII. Understanding where the battles took place taught me about geography as well. It drives me crazy when people don't know where countries are located on a map. My ex girlfriend was the queen of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well Trudey we haven't why you are interested .
Hopefully my internet will stay connected so I can answer
My real interest began after my trip to Bavaria...I came back with so many questions...Why were they selling Celtic jewelry in shops in the Alps? Thought the Celts lived in Ireland!! Why is Southern Germany so overwhelmingly Catholic? Thought Germans were Lutheran! I always knew there was a plague, but thought it was in England!!(Too many Monty Python movies!) And there I was in a field that was used to bury the victims..
At a Benedictine Church/hospital where the Nazis had taken over 2000 mentally ill patients away during WW2...with a small memorial garden in remembrance to them...
I started reading to learn these things and one thing led to another...the more I learn, the more there is still left to learn...and so it goes

Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,149,868 times
This might seem to be abit close minded and please don't think that I ignore the histories of other nations? It's just that My interest, Is mainly centered around Australian History! I enjoy trying to learn more about; The Convict era, The "ANZACS", Federation..etc and feel that our history is often forgotten or not given enough credit? Because it's too easily seen by some, As being 'Uneventful' or 'Boring'.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-14-2008 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,540 times
History never interested me at all when I was in school. "Yawn," I thought. "That was then, this is now."

Not until my late 20s did I become personally interested in various historical eras. Mainly my interest lies in how people actually lived...made food, dwellings, tools, machines, health care, etc. I enjoy watching documentaries about ancient civilizations. The biggest mystery is we will never know anything for sure. I often wonder if our era's activities will be more concrete with the advent of meticulous record keeping, computers, and such. But one massive computer virus or total destruction of our digital records and POOF it's all gone.

My favored areas of history include WW2 Holocaust, early 20th century American industrialization (The Jungle by Upton Sinclair), ancient Egyptians, and any massive pandemic like the Black Plague.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,654,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I often wonder what sparked your interest in history? So many posters are extremely knowledgeable on so many different eras...The World Wars...Civil War...Roman..Greek... European...etc. etc.
Was there one incident that got you interested enough to start studying..or was it just something you were always prone to???
My interest in history probably stems from the fact that I am fast becoming a part of it. However, my interest in American and family history goes back to the evening of April 14, 1990, when the last remaining sibling of my father who we had buried that day admitted not knowing where our Texas family had originated. Returning to Washington that next day I spent nearly every weekend for the next five years in the Library of Congress digging up royalty, dirt farmers, gunfighters, lawyers and doctors.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM

5,289 posts, read 813,553 times
As a military kid I moved around a lot, so reading was one of my constants. No matter where we lived there was always a library that I could go to. I made sure that we knew the closest library within 2-3 of getting to our new place. I gravitated to the books about people that lived before, especially stories of kids that had to move! Maybe because of my Grandfathers' (plural-they were both naval aviators, as was Dad) Dad's job, I don't know but I've always had a passion for planes and jets. By 1st grade that morphed into the history of flight and the history of the NAVY and Air Force.

My Mom's Mom is the family historian, and I have always been a writer (I think it is natural for readers to also want to write) and I just LOVED being around Grandma and hearing the family stories and then transcribing them. I loved it because I loved spending time with Grandma (apple pie and Pepsi for breakfast! Grandmas are GREAT!!!) and the stories about my family ran the gamut of emotions and intrigue. Grandma is a natural story teller and brought these people back to life and made me proud of my heritage.

Out of that came a desire to learn more about the cultures (mostly Irish and Cherokee) that my ancestors came from. So, I've been a fan my whole life, I was steeped in it!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM

4,494 posts, read 1,885,787 times
I heard someone said " History is the shadow of man on earth"

If you are interested in The history, you should know all kinds of history.
History relates different countries together.

I am a big fan of history , and I like to read about :
The World War 1 and 2
The Europerian history.
The ancient history in Egypt.
The ancient histery in Greece.
The occupation history in the African countries.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:04 PM

17,561 posts, read 24,065,066 times
My Dad read me the newspaper starting when I was 3. I knew the name Tricky Dick before I knew the name Richard Nixon and I remember blowing my 6 year old stack when I saw him resign on tv. I just couldn't believe it. One of my parents favorite stories is of me when I was 3 or 4 marching through the house with my fist raised chanting "Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh" ... I don't remember.

History was the only subject in school that sparked any interest in me whatsoever. Any history, I didn't care. In college, I didn't have a minor, I took every history class I could sign up for. I made sure I took all the required liberal arts classes my first 2 years so I could soak up all the history classes I could in my final 2 years, which stretched into an extra semester so I could travel to the Soviet Union, or what was left of it, in 1990.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-20-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 PM

4,291 posts, read 6,544,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I often wonder what sparked your interest in history? So many posters are extremely knowledgeable on so many different eras...The World Wars...Civil War...Roman..Greek... European...etc. etc.
Was there one incident that got you interested enough to start studying..or was it just something you were always prone to???
It was no one incident. My mother taught me to read when I was three, and when I was about four my ancient great-great aunt gave me some old World Books from 1955 (by that time they were twelve years out of date). By the time I was eighteen (and they were really antiquated), I had read them all through several times. I would often randomly pick up a volume, turn to a random page and read. It's important to stress that this was not diligence or brilliance; it was fun. I liked learning about the world and its past.

When I was eleven, I discovered board strategy games--not Risk or Stratego, but realistic simulation gaming. That was a full-dunk immersion in history, and not always the history of warfare; some of the games were political. I can't stress enough the importance of the maps, though they had some unintended consequences. My mental maps of some parts of the world look far more like a faraway time in history than today's world, for example. In any case, by my early twenties I had refought many of the great conflicts, sometimes on small-unit tactical levels and other times on the grand strategic level. That spurred an interest in the historical backdrops and the periods in between.

In college, I started in chemistry but quickly realized I wasn't going to enjoy this as a career, so I switched to history--specifically ancient Western civilizations. I regard this as a lifetime pursuit; my library has grown a great deal, and it comes in handy in my writing. A given topic will interest me, and I'll do enough reading to feel like I've gained a balanced handle on it. Once I get that bit in my teeth, I have to claw my way to the leading edge of understanding of the subject, and if it's a controversial subject I have to figure out as credible a conclusion as I can.

Oddly enough, I haven't actually visited that many historical sites, though I have been in heaven when I did so. I'll never forget what I felt when I washed my hands in the water of Providence Spring at Andersonville, and nothing can compare to ascending the Propylaia to stand before the Parthenon and gaze down upon Pnyx, knowing that one stands at the place Pericles held sacred and gazes down upon the place where he spoke before the people of Athens (or at least that small percentage that got to participate in decisionmaking). I can't say what I'll feel when someday I look upon Farmer Miller's Cornfield or the Pointe du Hoc, but I am sure that it will be amazing.

History is a discipline that benefits from every other study. To understand history well, it helps to understand social sciences such as poli sci, psychology and sociology, as well as military and naval science, as well as economics and finance, as well as physics and biology--and many others. I understand that not everyone is interested in history, but I think everyone can benefit from its study.

Nice handle, by the way. Je me debrouille aussi.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 AM

10,690 posts, read 14,057,927 times
I fell into it by accident. By the time I became seriously intersted in history my Dutch ancestors lived in four different countries and I forgot how many towns and never left the cillage where they actually lived. During the time the Netherlands separated, reunited, was invaded, was Seven Provicns, the protestant relgion was introduced, a zillion treaties were signed and broken and three Kingdoms emerged my ancestors lived in Overpelt in the Liege bishopric that was part of the Lower Rhennish- Wesphalian Circle. For the greater part of 900 it was ruled by the HRE.
But before I could come to this understanding I read Quentin Durward by Walter Scott, 1823 because Liege and its history was prt of the story. And I have a Dutch friend who lived about 20 miles from my Ancestors village for 50 years. I taught myself how to read basoc DTB recprds and spent a year or so going through a few thosand records. And when I still wasn't satosfoed as to the actual spelling on the records. I contacted the state archivist at Hasselt. It was a great surprise to learn Jois is not only not Joannes or Jpannes, its a Celtic name for the Breton Joyce. I have to give great credit to this forum, for without a member who really understoond European history I would never have learned how my Nederdanders became Belgians. They did not more, the count died and the bishopric claimed it. Four centuries later Francis II was forced to abdicate by treaty but before he did, he disolved the HRE and the Circles. Which of course presneted another problem for the European super powers of that era. I'm still reading and enjoing it although I no longer have to study it. We humans ae never too old to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History