Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Any thoughts on Julius Caesar and the Roman invasion of the Low Countries?
He had somewhere around 60,000 soldiers fighting the Gauls from what i've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Ahh, these were the days when wars were fought to WIN No dark political objectives, no "police actions" no humanitarian efforts just soldiers on the field of battle. And such soldiers! Huns, Mongols, Spartans, Romans...the finest of their time.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ahh, these were the days when wars were fought to WIN No dark political objectives, no "police actions" no humanitarian efforts just soldiers on the field of battle. And such soldiers! Huns, Mongols, Spartans, Romans...the finest of their time.
Yes, they would admirably sweep into great cities and leave not a single living thing.. Bring back the good old days, to please the gun nuts. Sorry to disappoint you, but those were not wars, there were no battles. They were genocidal massacres of defenseless civilians. A gun nut's wet dream. Who's next? Iran?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 AM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
He had somewhere around 60,000 soldiers fighting the Gauls from what i've read.

He had 4 Roman legions and a force of auxiliary legions that were comparable in size to the Roman legions. Giving him approximately 40,000 soldiers.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, they would admirably sweep into great cities and leave not a single living thing.. Bring back the good old days, to please the gun nuts. Sorry to disappoint you, but those were not wars, there were no battles. They were genocidal massacres of defenseless civilians. A gun nut's wet dream. Who's next? Iran?
I like guns and I think that the old style of warfare was (no pun intended) barbaric.

So please, shove it up a certain hole in your body that is used to remove waste.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM

78,372 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wow bud, you are all over the place in that post...this is history...not political and you seem a bit unbalanced this morning. Switch to de-caf and get some rest before posting.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Exactly my thoughts.

Victory was decisive or it was a defeat.

No propaganda.

No aftermath.

No Al-jazeera Vs Western media.

No opinion spin.

No bullcrap

The victors destroyed. The vanquished got crucified. They expanded. They built. They left.

It must have been a far better no non-sense world, except that I would never want to live there and wait for winning troops come crush my skull with a cudgel.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times
Red Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Since modern armies require tens of thousands of support personnel, many of whom never see battle, it seems that the ancients would be strong contenders for the record. One likely claimant to that title is the army of Xerxes that fought at Thermopylae in 480 BC. The historian Herodotus claimed, likely with some exaggeration, that the Persian army numbered over 2 million. Even if it numbered only 1.5 million, it was a huge army and some historians call Persia the first super power.
I would guess the Persians, too. Of course I imagine they dressed up every slave and able bodied man in the empire as a soldier - but they marched as an army.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
What was the largest army/military ever assembled in history under one nation or one command? I am talking about sheer number not really how powerful or technology advance the force was. The army could belong to one nation. Or it could be a multi-national force under a single command, like Eisenhower commanding Allied forces in Europe during WWII.

I done some internet search some most of the answer were sketchy or really didn't seem to have any evidence backing up the number. If possible if you site some source from where you got your info it would be great!

the british navy of the colonial periods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History