Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,544,649 times

Advertisements

I thought the Titanic history buffs might like this but i was watching on the National Geographic channel just now about the sinking of the Carpathia which is the ship that rescued the Titanic survivors at 4.10 A.M. april 15, 1912 as i never knew until now that the Carpathia had itself sunk afterwards on july 17, 1918 as it was hit by a torpedo from a German U Boat (U-55) about 180 miles off the southwest english coast.

They found it in remarkable great condition and still intact as the underwater camera had many great photo's.

Here's some early 1900's photo's of the Carpathia years before the Titanic disaster.
MaritimeQuest - Carpathia (1903) Marjorie Champlin Bowen Collection Page 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,416,765 times
The Carpathia officers and crew deserve a great deal of credit. All accounts I've read (I'm not a Titanic buff; just had to research it for a book) indicated that they really had their act together in a team effort. They had limited time to prepare for something that wasn't part of their normal function, and they upheld the highest traditions of the sea.

The Californian didn't come off quite so well, unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 AM

Yeap they mentioned how carpathia's captain Arthur Rostron ordered his ship at ''Full Speed'' to reach the titanic even though he knew they would go thru the same ice field that doomed the titanic. The carpathia's chief engineer George Roderick covered the main steam gage with his hat so the boilermen wouldn't notice the gage showing dangerous PSI which could have exploded the boilers so they could reach titanic faster.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,996,029 times
I often wonder about people in pictures I wonder if that boy in that one picture in Naples is still alive ? and if he is , he is probably very old . wow did not know that much about the carpathia except for the fact that it did rescue some of the titanic survivors and yes did know that it got torpedoed but did not know it actually sunk . wow interesting and thank you for the history lesson .

Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I often wonder about people in pictures I wonder if that boy in that one picture in Naples is still alive ? and if he is , he is probably very old . wow did not know that much about the carpathia except for the fact that it did rescue some of the titanic survivors and yes did know that it got torpedoed but did not know it actually sunk . wow interesting and thank you for the history lesson .
Same here phonelady....as i always wonder about those people in the old photo's when i look at them. That little boy on the pier in 1907 could've been my great great grandfather .

Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,363,800 times
Definately, the Carpathia is one of history's greatest heroic rescues. It was too bad that the Titanic was so vocal about being unsinkable, as other ships that heard the distress call didn't believe it and ignored it. Captain Lord and his ship, the Californian, probably weren't the one's accused of being seen sneaking away from the sinking Titanic. In fact, it's highly unlikely.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,416,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Definately, the Carpathia is one of history's greatest heroic rescues. It was too bad that the Titanic was so vocal about being unsinkable, as other ships that heard the distress call didn't believe it and ignored it. Captain Lord and his ship, the Californian, probably weren't the one's accused of being seen sneaking away from the sinking Titanic. In fact, it's highly unlikely.
Well, the people aboard Titanic bought the unsinkability hype as well, which is one reason some people didn't want to get in the boats. They figured, why get all cold and probably wet when surely this thing will stay afloat until help comes?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeap they mentioned how carpathia's captain Arthur Rostron ordered his ship at ''Full Speed'' to reach the titanic even though he knew they would go thru the same ice field that doomed the titanic. The carpathia's chief engineer George Roderick covered the main steam gage with his hat so the boilermen wouldn't notice the gage showing dangerous PSI which could have exploded the boilers so they could reach titanic faster.

Makes you wonder if he was heroic or idiotic. Had he struck a berg himself or blown a boiler and scalded a score of crewmen to death what would people think of him? Maybe heroism and idiocy go together sometimes.

He did rise to very high rank with Cunard though, I reckon his bosses thought well of him.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Makes you wonder if he was heroic or idiotic. Had he struck a berg himself or blown a boiler and scalded a score of crewmen to death what would people think of him? Maybe heroism and idiocy go together sometimes.

He did rise to very high rank with Cunard though, I reckon his bosses thought well of him.
I think it was more of a case of ''adrenaline overflow'' for his reaction to get there as fast as he could although he did post extra lookouts on the bow to spot for icebergs.

Here's a photo of Titanic's most famous survivor american millionaire and philanthropist Molly brown awarding Carpathia's captain Rostron an award for his heroic actions to rescue the Titanic survivors.

File:Molly brown rescue award titanic.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,976,396 times
This was really an interesting thread. Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History