Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times

Advertisements

Not sure if Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River, 1950 was mentioned.

Other than that:
Brandywine
Little Big Horn
Pearl Harbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In modern times, 19 troops killed in Reagan's invasion of Grenada would have to rank right up there.
At Christmas,everyone who visits my house knows (or is informed) to thank me for the nutmeg in their eggnog.Grenada was,in 1983 the leading exporter of nutmeg in the world.I take personal credit for keeping it out of the grubby commonist hands (I try to sound like LBJ when I say communist).Why would they need it? They don't even believe in Santa Claus !!!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
I'd say that our worst defeat was undoubtedly suffered at the hands of the Bushbarians from 2001-2009.

Before the Bushbarians stridently galloped into town, we were a prosperous nation with more income than expenditures. We were globally admired and our populace enjoyed faith, hope, and optimism about a grand future.

The Bushbarians laid a highly successful siege for eight long, protracted years. By the time they were done, we had become a nation fueled by exponentially rising debt, engaged in futile wars that played into the hands of the very forces we were fighting. The world no longer admired us and largely quit buying our IOU's due to a crisis of confidence. Our populace had become notably more obese and lethargic. Far less confident and optimistic. Instead of talking about 401K's and retirement, they discussed their 201K's and survival. The government turned against the populace and started listening to phone calls and reading emails. Gigantic lists of potential subversives were hastily promulgated. Testicles came to be groped prior to flight. Our bodies became bombarded with invasive technology that yielded nude imagery to the government. Fertilizer came to be looked upon as bombs waiting for new parents. The government grew to be larger than the private sector. The newly minted Thought Police were emboldened and drew up lengthy lists of recalcitrant citizenry who refused to quit reading, quit thinking, and quit writing.The novel "1984" rocketed from being a nightmarish novel to becoming an operations manual for the elite central planners.

On the 8th year, the Bushbarians looked upon the devastation and said "All is good. We shall now rest. Our work is done."

Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'd say that our worst defeat was undoubtedly suffered at the hands of the Bushbarians from 2001-2009.

Before the Bushbarians stridently galloped into town, we were a prosperous nation with more income than expenditures. We were globally admired and our populace enjoyed faith, hope, and optimism about a grand future.

The Bushbarians laid a highly successful siege for eight long, protracted years. By the time they were done, we had become a nation fueled by exponentially rising debt, engaged in futile wars that played into the hands of the very forces we were fighting. The world no longer admired us and largely quit buying our IOU's due to a crisis of confidence. Our populace had become notably more obese and lethargic. Far less confident and optimistic. Instead of talking about 401K's and retirement, they discussed their 201K's and survival. The government turned against the populace and started listening to phone calls and reading emails. Gigantic lists of potential subversives were hastily promulgated. Testicles came to be groped prior to flight. Our bodies became bombarded with invasive technology that yielded nude imagery to the government. Fertilizer came to be looked upon as bombs waiting for new parents. The government grew to be larger than the private sector. The newly minted Thought Police were emboldened and drew up lengthy lists of recalcitrant citizenry who refused to quit reading, quit thinking, and quit writing.The novel "1984" rocketed from being a nightmarish novel to becoming an operations manual for the elite central planners.

On the 8th year, the Bushbarians looked upon the devastation and said "All is good. We shall now rest. Our work is done."

Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
That was precisely my reaction when the Bushbarians were issued a four year extension on their siege.

And now we reap the consequence.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
That was precisely my reaction when the Bushbarians were issued a four year extension on their siege.

And now we reap the consequence.
Actually, we are reaping the "benefits" of a liberal democrat trifecta: President, House & Senate.

But that's been boken now, and the next election should set things back on track.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Actually, we are reaping the "benefits" of a liberal democrat trifecta: President, House & Senate.

But that's been boken now, and the next election should set things back on track.

N8 and others,

If you wish to continue this combative diatribe, may I suggest that you move it to the Political Boards? Why? Because you are not discussing History. You are discussing Current Events. Actually, you're not discussing but arguing.

From a personal viewpoint, I've been force-fed enough political male bovine excretia to last several lifetimes. I come here to relax and engage in rational discussions of things long since past. I do not wish to be force-fed any more, ah, stuff...

With respect,

-- Nighteyes

Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Has Savo Island been mentioned? If so I'll mention it again.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The fall of Detroit? That's a good one Grandstander.

The fort on Mackinac Island was badly sited with high ground to it's rear, when the Brits put a gun up there the *** was up. Subsequently a small fort, Fort Holmes, was built up there.

The War of 1812 was full of American drubbings---Queenstown Heights, Chrysler's Farm, River Raisen, Dudley's Fall, second battle of Mackinac Island, Bladensburg Races, burning of Washington.......good thing Wellington argued forcefully to let us off the hook.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, the war of 1812 in general was full of "worst defeats". Hull was worse than a traitor, we are lucky that his cowardess at Detroit did not lead to the entire upper midwest being a collection of Canadian provinces. Imagine the Province of Michigan, Province of Wisconsin etc, what a nightmare. Thank goodness Perrrys Lake Erie victory allowed for these British gains to be reversed. Bladensburg and the burning of Washington may not have had the potential long term consequences like the fall of Detroit could have (the brits could never have held the capitol), but nothing during our entire history brought as much humiliation upon our nation as this event did. Even today most Americans cringe when they think of the white house being burned, our capitol under enemy control. If we honestly evaluate the war of 1812, we have to come to the conclusion that we should have lost that war, and we are lucky not to have lost vast territories during those years. There are other terrible defeats like the little big horn, Pearl Harbor, and Sept 11, but none of those had the ability to permantly damage this nation like the defeats of the war of 1812.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM

200 posts, read 508,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In modern times, 19 troops killed in Reagan's invasion of Grenada would have to rank right up there.
This brought up a question: Has anyone ever explained the timing of President Reagan's invasion of Grenada two or three days after 241 marines were lost in Lebanon, or what 'clear and present danger' Grenada posed?

The three Seminole wars must be among our most embarrassing wars. The Seminoles, along with escaped slaves, resisted incursions into their Florida lands by the US Army. Many of the Seminoles were finally rounded up and sent to reservations in Oklahoma. However, the Seminoles never formally surrendered, perhaps the only US enemy not to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History