Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times

Advertisements

With the luxury of still having family in Ireland, I know alot about my ancestors homeland. Most of the old ones were ministers to The Connaught kings. Hence my surname--Malone. This is a shortened version of O'Maoliaon, which translates to "Son of Bald John." It refers to the bald spot on the heads of priests and clergy who served the king and were followers of the teachings of St. John. One of my cousins still lives in a small castle in County Mayo but is having a hard time keeping it up and has opened it up to tourists in order to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:14 PM

105 posts, read 235,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
The English Brits beating us down for a thousand years, but they cant erase our history of actions..
This is why i love clueless americans like you.THE ENGLISH BRITS?????????????

The union of Scotland and England only came about over 300 years ago

so, anything below 300 years ago there was no such thing as ''brits'' so who were these English Brits???

Last edited by Ulster_Loyal; 05-24-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM

105 posts, read 235,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
baboo,
quote;Strangely enough, I study more about Europe than I do about Asia. It's not that I'm not interested in Asia and it's not that I'm white-washed. I wonder though, how much can our ancestry tell us about who we are today? I know that some people rediscover their roots and decide to live their lives a certain way to be in order to kind of reappropriate this culture that has been lost to them, but this concept has always seemed very strange to me. Not strange in a negative way, but strange because I don't understand it. Could someone explain it to me? I have always been curious about this. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I honestly am curious and would love to know the reason behind these investigations into the past.
^*^
I am no expert on this subject, but I will tell you some things that I know in my own little world, that may or may not help you try to understand why we seek out our ancestry.
I personally have feelings that my blood's culture is not just an Anglo/white race. I know by the way I use my words, that my form of communication is a wee bit different. I know that at some point in time, families stayed togather for better or worse, and they kept their word and they acted out of honor and for the good of all men as a human race seeking freedom. They guided their progeny and stood by their neighbors. They believed in and worshiped God. This new age of "Americans", think they have the right to stop all worship in public places to become ...what? Politically correct? What does that mean? They can deny me, a 9th generation American Native my right to worship?(I happen to be a white color,but that does not make me an "Anglo"- anything, or an "arrian" who steals other peoples flags and uses them as a tool for smearing false witness against the owner). I am of another culture of people, and I believe it should be acknowledged, so some people will stop throwing all white people in the same bucket of shame for slave driving. I want to know exactly what happened in the past, and how I ended up here in this condition. I guess thats the bottom line. I want to celebrate a culture I didnt know I was a blood part of, that was denied when Scotland and Ireland were stolen. There is a passage in the bible, in Mathew (can't quote the paragraph off hand) but it is about the spirit of Elijah, turning the hearts of sons to their fathers and the hearts of the fathers to their sons. It has meaning, and I am trying to figure it out.
(MOD CUT)

who stole Scotland? was it the English Brits?
If you disagree, please state your reasons in a less insulting way..

Last edited by Thyra; 05-24-2009 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: If you disagree, please state your reasons in a less insulting manner..Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM

13,563 posts, read 15,485,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster_Loyal View Post

so, anything below 300 years ago there was no such thing as ''brits'' so who were these English Brits???
1 is below 300, so 1 year ago there were no Brits? Where did they all go?

By jove, this is a job for Scotland yard!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,422,987 times
Benidorm?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post

Most of my ancestors were in the U.S. before 1800 so I don't really feel much of an affinity for any for any of their ancestral lands. Most of my ancestors were from Scotland, England, Ireland, and Wales, with a few Dutch and French Huguenots thrown in. Also a little Native American and maybe a couple of other things. I feel more of an affinity for the places in the U.S. where my families settled and lived for several generations before moving on
Are we related?

I'm the same way, many of my ancestors have been here since the 1600's or so, and and I'm more interested in the states they lived in. One state that my ancestors first settled in is Virginia, and I've always wanted to extensively visit or live in that state one day. I will admit to having lived and traveled throughout Europe as a teenager though, so maybe any curiosity has already been settled. My ancestors are French Huguenot, Scottish, Irish, English and a little Native American. Many of the research for my paternal ancestry has already been done by an earlier relative and my father; there is a published hardcover book with all that information. It's fascinating.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM

25,220 posts, read 18,382,119 times
My ancestry is Norwegian and Icelandic on my father’s side, and French on my mother’s side--with a pinch of German and Irish thrown in a few generations back. Although my Norwegian grandmother died when I was quite young, I still remember her strong accent and not being able to understand her sometimes--that helped to spark my early interest in languages.

Since I have a general interest in history, I’ve studied the histories of these countries a bit, especially Iceland. As for the languages, I’m functional in Norwegian and getting there in French. When I am completely fluent in Norwegian, I will start on Icelandic. I also know a minimal bit of Irish Gaelic. German will come later.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,027,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My ancestry is Norwegian and Icelandic on my father’s side, and French on my mother’s side--with a pinch of German and Irish thrown in a few generations back. Although my Norwegian grandmother died when I was quite young, I still remember her strong accent and not being able to understand her sometimes--that helped to spark my early interest in languages.

Since I have a general interest in history, I’ve studied the histories of these countries a bit, especially Iceland. As for the languages, I’m functional in Norwegian and getting there in French. When I am completely fluent in Norwegian, I will start on Icelandic. I also know a minimal bit of Irish Gaelic. German will come later.
Fluency in Norwegian gets to be a rough thing to retain unless you can find a native speaker to converse with regularly. I'm still fine for reading and okay for writing, but unless I'm talking to somebody from Trondheim (for whatever reason, that one's easy for me) I have a heck of a time understanding spoken Norwegian anymore.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM

444 posts, read 1,208,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster_Loyal View Post

I love you too, and I forgive you for your ignorance as well... Brittania, a placename for more than 300 years I read somewhere. Angles/ Anglos/ English, you know the ones who conquered the Scots and Irish cultures at the "Union of the Crowns", I assure you there was no true Scot who willingly gave their country over to these gut wrenching bowel burning cruelty loving tyrants, who no matter how hard they try cant escape the burnings of human beings as being witches or anything else justifiable of torture. I am surprised you wouldnt know this, being from Ulster and all...

Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,708,792 times
I am a genealogy nut so I love finding out about my ancestry. My family on my mothers side comes from Russia and the other half from Ireland...my dad's side comes from France.

I also found out that my gggggggg grandparents were survivors of the Deerfield Massacre back in 1704. They were taken captive as young children by the indians and had to make a trek up to Canada and were raised by the indians there. Next year, Deerfield (Ma) is having a reunion for the descendents of the massacre and I hope we can make the trip.

Learning about your ancestry is so interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History