Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,485,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Because Japan attacked us. Besides, how could it have been a war if the U.S. wasn't involved?
Also, we had to attack them over there so they wouldn't attack us over here. Furthermore, the Kaiser gassed his own people and banned satellite dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wasn't the letter to Mexico asking them to invade Texas, which would then occupy us from entering the war and also would limit the amount of munitions we could give to Britain and France?
If only Germany held off for 50 years before sending that letter...

Old 05-29-2009, 03:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,422,987 times
We will never know.
Lusitania? Maine? Pearl Harbour?
Well, I'm getting paranoid....
What about the Rotschilds?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,132,745 times
As a slight tangent to this thread, I always saw the Treaty of Versailles as a hosing of Germany. Limiting their military size, paying reparations, losing the Rhineland, all compounded with the Great Depression, just seemed like a hefty price for Germany to pay. Was this essentially to keep Germany as weak as possible, especially due to fear from France and Britain?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 PM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
As a slight tangent to this thread, I always saw the Treaty of Versailles as a hosing of Germany. Limiting their military size, paying reparations, losing the Rhineland, all compounded with the Great Depression, just seemed like a hefty price for Germany to pay. Was this essentially to keep Germany as weak as possible, especially due to fear from France and Britain?

Yes. Mostly France.
During WW II the idea was floated to dismantle all German industry and turn the country totally agrarian.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-29-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Well i love history and right now i am in an American History class. i will tell you what i learned then i will ask my Q and you can give an answer if you want. well the chapter starts off as: How does a Teenager start a world war? well it goes on to explain that Bosnia and Herzigovina was controlled by Austria-Hungry and a teen assassinates the arch duke. they arrest the teen and find out Serbia supplied them weapons so they declare war on Serbia. well Russia protects Serbia and declares war on Austria-hungry. well Germany protects them and declares war on France and Russia. so Germany attacks belgium and Great Britain declares war on Germany. So we have Britian, France, and Russia VS. Germany, Austria-Hungry and i forget the other country. well we the U.S. did't really care. let them deal with it. Well Germany sent a note to mexico which we referr to it as the Zimmerman Note and Mexico said no. but why exactly did we get involved? What side was Italy on? why didn't some of the other european countries get involved?
We had no really valid reason for entering WW1, but the fatcat industrialists would have lost their ass if the Allies had lost, that is why we went in. Italy was on the side of the Allies, and suffered heavy losses battling the Austro-Hungarian forces in the Italian Alps, especially in the Battle of the Izonzo.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
You know it's strange, I was taught that America entered WW11 because of the attack on Pearl Harbour by the Japanese.

Which was then followed by Germany declaring war on the US. That was invitatation enough was it not?
Do you know why the Japanese Attacked Pearl Harbor?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:46 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,688,369 times
You could come up with myriad reasons for the attack, America's oil embargo on Japan after Japan's attack on China in the 1930s for instance.

I thought this was a WW1 thread.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
We had no really valid reason for entering WW1, but the fatcat industrialists would have lost their ass if the Allies had lost, that is why we went in. Italy was on the side of the Allies, and suffered heavy losses battling the Austro-Hungarian forces in the Italian Alps, especially in the Battle of the Izonzo.
Excuse me, I referred to the Battle of the Izonzo in a previous post, it is correctly spelled Isonzo.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
You could come up with myriad reasons for the attack, America's oil embargo on Japan after Japan's attack on China in the 1930s for instance.

I thought this was a WW1 thread.
I thought it was too, but people seem to be talking about WWII as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History