Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM

65 posts, read 239,568 times

Advertisements

Throughout history which nations have been true Superpowers of their time? I know that now America is, and that not long ago the Soviet Union was, but what about before that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogannator123 View Post
Throughout history which nations have been true Superpowers of their time? I know that now America is, and that not long ago the Soviet Union was, but what about before that?
Britain was. Napoleonic France was. In terms of sheer mass of territory and wealth extracted, Spain surely was once for so long as it had a solid grip on its New World holdings.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogannator123 View Post
Don't forget little Portugal.

But the greatest empire of all time has to be the Mongol empire under the reign of the Great Khan Mongke.

Mongke's brother Hulegu

From Korea to modern day Israel.

That was an empire.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
Don't forget Greece and Rome.

Each in their day were undisputed superpowers.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Rome
China/Mongol Empire
Byzantium
Ottoman Empire

Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The Moghul Empire never extended over even a quarter of the territory of the present Russian Federation, nor did it rule over more people that today's Russia.

The USSR was almost certainly the largest part of the globe to ever be within the confines of influence of a single ruler.. The British Empire including Canada, India and Australia would probably come in second.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM

65 posts, read 239,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Moghul Empire never extended over even a quarter of the territory of the present Russian Federation, nor did it rule over more people that today's Russia.

The USSR was almost certainly the largest part of the globe to ever be within the confines of influence of a single ruler.. The British Empire including Canada, India and Australia would probably come in second.
I'm not so sure about that last part. the British empire controlled about 33 million sq. miles. the Mongol empire is second with 24 million, and the Russian empire is third with 22 million.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I misread your post as saying "Mogul" empire. Yes, I think you are right.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Don't forget little Portugal.

[/i]
I don't think that you can include Portugal into the ranks of superpowers. Even at its height in only controlled a small stretch of across Africa, part of the eastern half of South America and along the Indian coast and a few key islands. Spain was the more dominate empire and so much so that between 1580 to 1640 Portugal was ruled by Spain.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:20 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,139 times
There is an axiom that "Power comes out of the barrel of a gun." I would suggest there are exceptions to that often quoted line. Stalin is reputed to have asked contemptuously of an aide, "How many divisions does the pope have?" Had he lived a few more decades he would have found out. It's a pretty well-known fact that Pope John Paul II, an ardent anti-communist, was the inspiration behind the emergence of trade unionist Lech Walesa and the Solidarity movement in the 1980s that resulted in Poland's eventual liberation from the Soviet orbit. Moreover, it figured large in the breakup of the eastern bloc countries and the chain reaction of events that brought down the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall. Reagan devotees are wont to fully credit RR for the fall of communism, but it's doubtful that it will stand up to serious historical inspection.

The Vatican occupies only 109 acres in Rome, but it commands a world-wide network, making it a monolithic spiritual and political power of enormous resources. It maintains diplomatic relations with 172 countries, one more than the US. The Vatican claims over a billion adherents. No wonder the late Israeli statesman David Ben-Gurion said, "Never mind that nonsense about how many divisions does the pope have -- just look at how many people he can summon to his aid." If there is still doubt about the power of ideas and the determined will of one man, think on the life of Mahatma Gandhi, who made the British Empire tremble. Your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History